↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > 2020 Defender main discussion thread
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 123 of 351 <123 ... 122123124 ... 349350351>
Print this entire topic · 
NoDo$h

England 
Keeping the rear doors is an odd one. Need to see the interior treatment in the flesh, but it suggests there will be some compromises around load bay lining/roubustness 

54 Freelander modded for mud
2008 D3 SE
2010 90 XS SW
1978 88 Series 3 undergoing surgery with a new owner
2007 90 County Truck Cab - gone
2006 D3 SE - gone
2004 Freelander Sport - gay
1999 Disco V8 ES rotted to bits
Post #799357 24th Oct 2019 7:08pm
King Luis

Canada 
Supacat wrote:
King Luis wrote:
i wouldn't worry about water causing issues with the electronics.

Have you ever owned a Defender? I can't imagine that sentence coming out of any owner's mouth. Shocked

We are talking about the new Defender here, not the old one. Maybe you need to re-read my post. the part regarding IP67. Thank you. Good day.
Post #799360 24th Oct 2019 7:18pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
NoDo$h wrote:
Keeping the rear doors is an odd one. Need to see the interior treatment in the flesh, but it suggests there will be some compromises around load bay lining/roubustness

It will be the same as the interior of the Discovery 5 Commercial. Load guard, rubberised floor, rear footwell covered over but doors allow access to the underside for storage and that's it. The day of the three door 110's are now over. Crying or Very sad

Side trim will be the same as standard and susceptible to damage and the rear door opening is not squared off. At present I cant remember what the VED tax saving on the Discovery 5 Commercial is over the passenger version.
Post #799372 24th Oct 2019 8:42pm
Ecco

Malaysia 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Galway Green
King Luis wrote:
Supacat wrote:
King Luis wrote:
i wouldn't worry about water causing issues with the electronics.

Have you ever owned a Defender? I can't imagine that sentence coming out of any owner's mouth. Shocked

We are talking about the new Defender here, not the old one. Maybe you need to re-read my post. the part regarding IP67. Thank you. Good day.

..ip67 rating is issued for certain period of time and its not an open ended..in this case is most probably, warranty period which is what? 3 years? Is it going to be able to do this sort of stuff, rigged with so much electronics, for any prolonged period of time?? I doubt it..

Post #799418 25th Oct 2019 2:28am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
"Error retrieving album data" ~ anyone know why certain photos I try to upload fail with this message?
Post #799423 25th Oct 2019 7:00am
Supacat

markb110 wrote:
NoDo$h wrote:

It will be the same as the interior of the Discovery 5 Commercial. Load guard, rubberised floor, rear footwell covered over but doors allow access to the underside for storage and that's it. The day of the three door 110's are now over. Crying or Very sad

Side trim will be the same as standard and susceptible to damage and the rear door opening is not squared off. At present I cant remember what the VED tax saving on the Discovery 5 Commercial is over the passenger version.

D5:

Click image to enlarge

"It can swallow up to 1856 litres of cargo, which is actually 600 litres less than the regular car can manage when its seats are folded down. This is due to the fitment of a strong metal guard at the front of the load section that separates the cabin and back and prevents objects flying forward in the event of an accident."

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And what real designers think of when looking at the same issues/opportunities :

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #799424 25th Oct 2019 7:08am
Supacat

Ecco wrote:

..ip67 rating is issued for certain period of time and its not an open ended..in this case is most probably, warranty period which is what? 3 years? Is it going to be able to do this sort of stuff, rigged with so much electronics, for any prolonged period of time?? I doubt it.

And don't get me started on dry joints...

Saw a recent Twitter post that makes a very good point:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Ralph Hosier (@RalphHosier) Tweeted:
This is a humble brake light switch. It was made in 1988 and recently stopped working. Rather than commit it to landfill, I took it apart, cleaned the contacts and put it back together. It might do another 30 years now.
Fixing things is good.
#repairculture https://t.co/f2LtDyRFKG https://twitter.com/RalphHosier/status/1187498975856910337?s=17
Post #799431 25th Oct 2019 7:37am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
If only the rest of the world thought like you Supacat, and companies produced maintainable equipment, and TV makeover shows had never become popular, maybe our land fills wouldn’t be quite so full and the world wouldn’t be in the mess it’s in now?

Well done for walking down the repair road Supacat Thumbs Up
Post #799442 25th Oct 2019 9:03am
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
It will need a strong bulkhead if you are going to drive round with twin compressed air tanks lose in the back like the marketing photo !!!
Post #799446 25th Oct 2019 9:32am
zilch

Australia 
Ecco wrote:
Is it going to be able to do this sort of stuff, rigged with so much electronics, for any prolonged period of time?? I doubt it..

based on the conservative approach to manufacturers specifying how the vehicle can perform, then maybe
yes it will be able to handle it.. i have Videos of my RR Sport in Cape York. doing water crossings with the
water up to and covering the bonnet, that is on a vehicle that is spec'd to 600 MM and towing nigh on 1 ton
of camper trailer at the same time.. just because it is new, and not an old leaky unsealed defender, does not
mean the new model will not be up to it.. yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #799456 25th Oct 2019 10:50am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Looking at most modern vehicles, the Achilles heel with most is not rust or mechanical failure, but electrical / electronic failures and glitches so I don’t think the assumption it might fall over is uncalled for?

I believe that the probable market for new Defenders will only require the wading capabilities of a deep puddle on a side road in Notting Hill so the design will be fine for 98.7% of owners
Post #799465 25th Oct 2019 11:39am
Supacat

but how many points of failure does your old vehicle have? You can't deny 85 points of failure, albeit some may be on less critical systems, mean the chances of a single failure are increased.

I don't know what level of protection older vehicles were built to ~ were they less than IP67? If you were building a halo product you might want to ask the cost difference to go to say IP69k?

IP69k was a standard introduced for...washing down vehicles ~ far more likely at a main dealers after a service than in Cape York?
Post #799466 25th Oct 2019 11:48am
Yulong

United Kingdom 
Allegedly doing an SVR model to compete with the Merc G63.

No limits of shame Rolling with laughter
Post #799539 25th Oct 2019 9:20pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Supacat wrote:
but how many points of failure does your old vehicle have? You can't deny 85 points of failure, albeit some may be on less critical systems, mean the chances of a single failure are increased.

I don't know what level of protection older vehicles were built to ~ were they less than IP67? If you were building a halo product you might want to ask the cost difference to go to say IP69k?

IP69k was a standard introduced for...washing down vehicles ~ far more likely at a main dealers after a service than in Cape York?

I think the level of protection older vehicles had was called "common sense" by the owner. With this new vehicle and the emphasis on technology, purchasers who would not have bought a Defender previously will buy it and just point it where they want to go, letting the technology get them to where they want to go. This might work 99% of the time but there will be no mechanical sympathy between driver and vehicle. I think to get the most out of a vehicle you have to understand it. I think it is a whole new era regarding the stereotypical Land Rover owner. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #799554 25th Oct 2019 10:14pm
Ecco

Malaysia 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Galway Green
..i believe thats exactly the point..it will be not much to 'understand' about this new incarnation of defender..much as i dont like look of new variant, i could close 'one eye' and start liking it, but when i realized that whole thing is rigged with 85 ecu's on high speed CAN bus(most probably), as a someone who actually design 'ECU' like stuff and firmware for chips for oil and gas systems(oil rigs), i have virtually freaked out..which is why IP rating is something not to rely on to..its issued for certain period of time..and it does not guarantee waterproof performance..its just rate of water resistance for specific time frame(in case of IP67/68, 30 minutes constantly, which is not guaranteed after vehicle is outside of warranty)..i guess, we shall see..
Post #799569 26th Oct 2019 1:28am
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 123 of 351 <123 ... 122123124 ... 349350351>