↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > 2020 Defender main discussion thread
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 102 of 351 <123 ... 101102103 ... 349350351>
Print this entire topic · 
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
I just worked out my spec for a 110.

Didn't go silly... well I sort of did the first time it was £72K the second £68K. Sent it to my dad on whats app with a picture... I didn't choose the top model either..

He rang later and said why have you sent these details on a Discovery?? Rolling with laughter

Then he tells me about his own Full Fat RR, 18 plate, been in the garage a few times for bits (including a new turbo at £4k miles). They did an upgrade on the informatic system for Apple car play.

Picks car up and screen went off after 15 minutes, it's now been in for two days. He collected it... and its gone off again. Now Given one of the 'selling points' is the new Defender has 22 Microcomputers..... Does this sort of thing look good???

I actually like the look and will be interested to see it in the flesh... It is just too much?

Realistically a 110 in XS type spec should be around £45K all in, one I tick leather, extra seats, alloys the price skyrockets..

Shocked
Post #792053 11th Sep 2019 9:54am
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
AMBxx wrote:
What puddle? wrote:
Tim, there is a certain longtime contributor on here whom I had a 'discussion' with (friendly) about three years ago. I tried pointing out to him that the new Defender was simply not going to be a million miles away from the DC100 (Land Rover say it is nothing to do with the DC100). He was quite adamant that it wouldn't be. He's still here, but I didn't want to re-hash our discussion, pointing out to him the similarities in design. I liked the DC100, and I think LR really missed the boat.

I bet you got the price wrong! Whistle

Yes...very wrong. I have a fairly good memory. I remember all the talk of the new Defender almost 10 years ago. At the time, someone from Land Rover was talking about a sub £20k replacement - I kid you not. Suzuki managed it. Now left.
Post #792057 11th Sep 2019 10:10am
Setok

Finland 
diduan wrote:
I think the all new defender is already old. Just look at other leading SUV manufacturers already having EV SUVs in the lineup, or inttoducing such in 2020. I could justify the high asking price if it was fit for the future. I am not buying another diesel for so much money. And the straight six for even more.

G Wagon, Wrangler and Jimny are not in the same segment any more, so the new defender should mess with Merc, BMW and all other city cars.

Speaking of the Jimny, isn't it a bit depressing that the Jimny appears to be a global darling, with demand heavily outstripping supply, at a great price, and with better approach and departure angles than the new Defender. The utilitarian, timeless looks and basic but functional interior is also pretty much spot on. You see one driving by and are forced to conclude that Land Rover could've done that, and sell to the traditionalists as well as a whole new type of buyers (not covered by the existing RR/Disco range), but chose not to.
Post #792058 11th Sep 2019 10:11am
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Setok, I have one (14 plate). I absolutely love it. Now left.
Post #792060 11th Sep 2019 10:14am
Slideywindows

England 
Setok wrote:

Speaking of the Jimny, isn't it a bit depressing that the Jimny appears to be a global darling, with demand heavily outstripping supply, at a great price, and with better approach and departure angles than the new Defender. The utilitarian, timeless looks and basic but functional interior is also pretty much spot on. You see one driving by and are forced to conclude that Land Rover could've done that, and sell to the traditionalists as well as a whole new type of buyers (not covered by the existing RR/Disco range), but chose not to.

Setok, you are depressing me even more!

Reference the 110 being sold before the 90, Land Rover did the same with the original One Ten which was made available over a year before the Ninety.

They thought the market for the long wheelbase version was more important to get covered first.

Don't know if that still applies today?
Post #792069 11th Sep 2019 11:12am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
I mentioned on a previous thread, during previous musings, that I wondered if the launch of the Jimny actually delayed the launch of the New Def, due to its startling similar looks. I wondered if McG and team were forced back to the drawing board as they took too long developing the infrastructure/tech and were over-taken by Suzuki with the looks? Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #792071 11th Sep 2019 11:19am
Tim in Scotland

I wonder why they decided to do away with paddle shifters for the gearbox, I have always found them much better off-road for manual shifting an automatic than having to take a hand off the wheel to manually shift using a Step-tronic stick moved over to the left and then clicked up and down the gears sequentially with only one hand on the steering wheel Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 11th Sep 2019 11:23am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #792072 11th Sep 2019 11:22am
Devon-Rover

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
I had a play on the configurator and whilst it's possible to go mad I got to a spec to be happy with for about 53 grand, After all you get a vehicle to start with of a far superior level anyway.

We will all never agree about how we view what this new defender should of been. As it is a newer more advanced vehicles there is only so far we can all go with the 'Equivilent' specs with said person 'X's current defender.

I have been having a good look at reactions across the net and on social networks and there is a equal balance of good and bad. But I won't direct this at anyone however.

a bit of a explination comparison

Jump from a Series vehicle into a mid 90's 110 CSW and you think this is more luxury and greater capability (this is nice could get used to it) Go and then hop into the later puma XS and you have aircon and leather and driving aids like ABS / ETC so again more luxury and capability. (nice again better to live with)
So we take a leap into the new defender and we get
A whole new vehicle (not a multi time brought back from the dead model) - Don't argue before you go back through the media and magazines from the 90's to present day, and see how many times the defender was going to get axed due to emissions and safety legislation. The TD5 was getting long in the tooth by 2005 so the puma era (which again admit it the beardy TD5 and TDI brigade still don't like it for having a transit engine, and a different dash) was again a postponement of the Axe and we knew the replacement was coming... one day.
Just looking at how much further design and technology has gone into the vehicle and how much advanced it is then are we really surprised that it cost's a lot more?
The list of standard features far surpasse the old defender and not to mention you get a defender that won't leak, won't have odd panel gaps, won't be an affont to audiologist in terms of NVH, won't assault your elbows everytime you drive it, won't have a rear crossmember that rust's in a years time, won't have a chassis that the factory coating means rust within 5 years, Won't have window blocks that bubble and corrode, won't have galvanic corrosion of the cappings, won't have cappings that are not painted underneath, won't have drive flanges made of cheese, won't have drive shafts under specced for the power of the engine, won't have a drive adaptor time bomb between the gearbox and T-box, Won't have an engine which loosens it's own injector bolts, won't have an engine having to be brought in from a competitor manufacturer, Won't have a doors that are hard to close when parked on a crossaxle, won't have doors that are easy to steal, won't have a roof that cracks under light loads from a roofrack,

I won't go on but we need to move on.

I very much doubt i'm gonna afford a new one being on minimum wage, but looking objectively at a JLR product which are firmly putting themselves into the premium SUV category then why are we surprised?
We are all here due to the simple defender of old, and love the nostalgia of it being a simple workhorse BUT...
Not many of us do actually use those features that are bemoaned towards the new one. Take the hose out interior I saw being banded about. How many of us in the last week actively hosed your defender out? out of total forum pop what 5 of us? maybe? We have rubber mats that we remove and wash off.

Looking at it's family the discovery and the range rover they have all moved up market and up priced, Didn't you see it coming? Also can be found on Fb, Ytube, Insta & Twitter @4WDSouthwest
Post #792073 11th Sep 2019 11:23am
datcullen

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Java Black
Is it just me or does the rear look a bit like a Vitara circa 93?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 110 UW - '15 2.2
90 - '85 V8 soft-top
RRC - '84 5 door, Option Pack C, 33k miles from new
---
Elise S1 - '00 Millennium SE
Elan +2 - '68 kit built by my dad
Panda 4x4 - '87 in Italy
Post #792074 11th Sep 2019 11:31am
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Zed wrote:
blackrangie wrote:

Click image to enlarge

:

Old Vitara in a burqa?

From page 58.
Post #792078 11th Sep 2019 11:43am
datcullen

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Java Black
Missed that! Thumbs Up 110 UW - '15 2.2
90 - '85 V8 soft-top
RRC - '84 5 door, Option Pack C, 33k miles from new
---
Elise S1 - '00 Millennium SE
Elan +2 - '68 kit built by my dad
Panda 4x4 - '87 in Italy
Post #792080 11th Sep 2019 11:53am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Some more detailed technical information from this Oz article: https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/2020-land...ts-figures

A few salient ones:

14 - Defender's electrics gets IP67 electrical rating
The electronics and connections in the new Defender have been designed to meet the IP67 water immersion standards. That means they can be submerged in one metre of fresh water for an hour without intrusion or damage.

31 - Bullbar
Land Rover has developed a ’roo bar specifically for Australia. To be made of steel, the bar will be offered as an accessory, keeping intact all sensors and safety systems. The ’roo bar will be revealed closer to the car’s June 2020 on-sale date.

34 - Crawl time
The Defender has an impressively low crawl ratio of 51.5:1 for diesel versions and 57.2:1 for the six-cylinder petrol.

45 - Stopping power
There is no mechanical link between the brake pedal and the brake discs. Instead the Defender gets a brake-by-wire system claimed to provide more “precise, linear brake pressures”. Engineers also say the electronic braking system helps with off-road traction due to the ability to better regulate braking to each individual wheel. --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #792082 11th Sep 2019 11:57am
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Quote:
Missed that! Thumbs Up

Great minds and all that...

Looking at your photo of the Suzuki the similarities are striking. If a Chinese manufacturer had done it the lawyers would be very busy indeed.
Post #792083 11th Sep 2019 11:57am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
datcullen wrote:
Is it just me or does the rear look a bit like a Vitara circa 93?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Not sure it is interesting, but on both those cars you can see different approaches to making the rear lights legal for the EU market. On both cars, the main light cluster on the off side would be obscured by the spare wheel when the back door is open. To be legal in the EU, certain lights must be visible even when the door is open.

LRs solution on the Def is to add those smaller additional lights further outboard. I believe, given the choice, Gerry would have preferred not to have to put them on and just had everything in that vertical strip.

On the Vitara the designers just moved the whole light cluster down into the lower bumper, leaving just the fog light where the cluster should be. Same reason why Shoguns have a similar thing, and Vauxhall Insignia estates have a separate light cluster inside the boot opening. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #792084 11th Sep 2019 12:11pm
Setok

Finland 
Naks wrote:

45 - Stopping power
There is no mechanical link between the brake pedal and the brake discs. Instead the Defender gets a brake-by-wire system claimed to provide more “precise, linear brake pressures”. Engineers also say the electronic braking system helps with off-road traction due to the ability to better regulate braking to each individual wheel.

Seriously? I'm shocked this kind of setup is even legal. So lose electricity and bye bye brakes? I'd rather have an NCAP of 1 star and no airbags than something like that.
Post #792085 11th Sep 2019 12:22pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 102 of 351 <123 ... 101102103 ... 349350351>