↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > 2020 Defender main discussion thread
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 91 of 351 <123 ... 909192 ... 349350351>
Print this entire topic · 
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
"They only sold 25,000 of the original defenders per year and that included all the military and utility contracts around the world, these are tiny numbers and I'm amazed the Defender managed to cling on for so long."

RRUK. Maybe you've answered your own question. Perhaps they had such good contracts with clients that required what in effect was the car industry's last truly flexible platform for military/utility usage, that it kept the vehicle in production. But now, despte being the only vehicle of its kind and therefore JLR having the market absolutely cornered, they've done away with this felxible platform in favour of afluent adventurers. The Bear Grylls from Islington as opposed to HM Gov, Yorkshire Water or the UN. Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #791414 9th Sep 2019 12:00pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Gone Bushy wrote:
Come on Ratcliffe, dont let us down, your our last hope Thumbs Up

He's certainly saying all the right things:

"The car, he said, would be “unbreakable, go anywhere, and not have the reliability problems of the Defender”.

“We’re going to produce something they are not... the spiritual successor to the Defender,” Sir Jim said, proclaiming his love of the original Defender which has been the choice for the self-proclaimed “global adventurer.

“Theirs will be more high volume and not what the Defender used to be,” he said. “Ours will 100pc not be a Chelsea tractor”.

“We welcome the Defender’s launch but we don’t see it as a competitor. Our 4x4 will be utilitarian, a working tool, with solid beam axles, ladder chassis and ‘hose down’ interior,” says a spokesman.

“With the new Defender, JLR has taken a different path. We wish them every success.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/...g-gimmick/
Post #791420 9th Sep 2019 12:56pm
Gone Bushy

United Kingdom 
Very Happy I'm in, lets see it Jim!!
Post #791423 9th Sep 2019 1:02pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I’ll hopefully be seeing Jim’s effort on Saturday in London. Will report back 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #791426 9th Sep 2019 1:18pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green

Help us Jim Ratcliffe, you are our only hope...….
Post #791432 9th Sep 2019 1:43pm
Gone Bushy

United Kingdom 
Rolling with laughter too true!!
Post #791433 9th Sep 2019 1:44pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
well this time tomorrow the hype will be over, dreams realised or shattered Rolling with laughter I wonder how quickly a thread with a poll will be launched asking love it or hate it or dont know Whistle 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #791435 9th Sep 2019 1:50pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
My partner has an invite to the grand launch at Roger Youngs in the morning Thumbs Up

..... Im at work Big Cry

We will see what she says about it then .... maybe a D5 replacement for her? !

Whistle Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #791438 9th Sep 2019 2:00pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
i look forward to meeting her in the morning Gary Thumbs Up 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #791444 9th Sep 2019 2:36pm
Tim in Scotland

At least you guys have a dealership that seems to be doing a launch event........ i’ve not heard anything from my local dealership despite having bought 6 LR products from them over the years and those not brought from them but Land Rover West London or Grange Barnett have always been Serviced or repaired at the local dealer. Hell I have a large wedge of dosh down as a deposit on a New Defender paid to them too. I’m sure that there must be some sort of launch event nationwide but I seemed to have been missed out , I’ve had more interest in my business from my local Mini dealer for the forthcoming BEV Mini (which I’m not interested in) and from Kia for an e-Niro (for which there is no availability for the next 18 months, the UK allocation is sold out that far into the future and therefore unobtainable!) than i’ve had from Pentland Land Rover to advance my interest in the car I REALLY want to buy. Maybe it’s because i’m Interested in SWB P400e and not a High spec family wagon 110...... Big Cry Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #791446 9th Sep 2019 3:02pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Jury is still out for me, as so much depends on price, capability, technical features etc. One thing I will say, is the the stupid side mounted packed lunch box and fisher price ladder will get shredded on any scratchy forest/jungle track 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #791451 9th Sep 2019 3:21pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
AndrewS wrote:
RRUK wrote:

They only sold 25,000 of the original defenders per year

The reason for this was the fact that they could only build 25,000 per year, and the reason for that was they did not modernise the vehicle or production line to keep up with demand.
The last factory tour I did they took me into the development of the Range Rover to show how the vehicle had changed over the years. Having finished the tour I asked the guide "So why didn't they do the same with the Defender then"? he couldn't answer.

Agree completely. They could sell as many as they could make, and if they could have doubled production they'd have doubled sales.

However the fundamental design of the vehicle came from an era when hand assembly ruled, and could not be automated without a major redesign. Margins on the Defender were minimal, whilst margins on newer models were relatively huge, so there has never been a commercial imperative to improve the Defender. Until now.

So now we have a revised Defender which will be built (well) by robots and the doors will fit, and it probably won't leak. Great stuff. But it is being launched into a market where the potential buyers will already be considering and probably buying a JLR product anyway. Hmm, not great after all. Just what the world needs, yet another suburban warrior SUV.

To me there is a missed opportunity for a modern reliable utility vehicle (note, not SUV) aimed at the work-orientated end of the market, just like the old vehicle. The market may not be big at the moment, but when the Land-Rover was launched in '48 there was no market at all, it created one. When the Range-Rover was launched it created the market. It could have happened again. Wasted opportunity in my book.
Post #791452 9th Sep 2019 3:28pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Supacat wrote:
Farmerben wrote:
And JLR need sales. Figures aren't exactly stellar right now.

To put that into context:

Click image to enlarge

Sales are actually pretty huge compared to previous years, but due to the money monster JLR created to obtain these figures, balanced the company on a knife edge where any form of head or cross wind would see them fall dramatically; and thus all the talk about stabilise, turnaround and transformation.

Shame they omitted the third graph, the losses. Up how-many-fold?
Post #791453 9th Sep 2019 3:29pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Does anyone believe that Sir Jim will actually produce a vehicle at all?

I've not seen any pictures, sketches, renders or the like of anything from Grendier. Is it all hype? 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #791455 9th Sep 2019 3:35pm
G4UJS

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
Live launch event

Cheers

Rob
Post #791457 9th Sep 2019 3:40pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 91 of 351 <123 ... 909192 ... 349350351>