↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma fuel bleeding pump
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 9 of 10 <12345678910>
Print this entire topic · 
HardCharger

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hi All!

I bit the bullet with the Sealey VS552. I used it yesterday and after fiddling around with the fitting options found the optimal one for my 2.4 Puma. Thing is, I kept pumping but no diesel coming out. Shocked Looks like further investigation required of the fuel system now Confused

Here's the kit, and the only reason why I bought it and not built one was the price, for me, was OK.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

In any case, for those curious on how the priming kit works, I found a video from a different tool manufacturer which shows you how to use the mysterious bleed valve thingie.

&list=LL5xCBUEzR2wqMnIwsJktLpQ&t=0s&index=2
Post #740765 16th Nov 2018 3:10am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
How do you stop air being reintroduced when you disconnect the kit? 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #740774 16th Nov 2018 8:52am
HardCharger

Once you run the engine and do not find any bubbles in the lines anymore the diesel stream should be secure and since the kit is one way with a check valve, there will be no vacuum back flow. When you disconnect the kit, the fuel should still be in the lines and when you connect the fittings properly again, there should be minimal to no air gaps.

At least this is how I understand it.
Post #740776 16th Nov 2018 8:57am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
I only connected the end towards the tank... When I pumped, I pumped into a 1 litre container and kept pumping until the fuel came out clear of bubbles. Took a while after a filter change (I didn;t prime the filter).
Then a quick reconnect and all good!
I think the system can handle small amounts of air, just not an empty fuel filter!!!
I did not connect the engine end at all, just left it open until I had purged the air from the tank end...
Maybe worth trying? Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #740783 16th Nov 2018 9:56am
HardCharger

I actually thought about that and tried it, but sadly, it yielded no results. There must be something else introducing air into the system making it impossible to start the syphon effect that will feed the system.

Asides from the pick up and floater unit, it has been brought to my attention that there is another breather pipe on the other side of the vehicle that kind of resembles the breather unit near the filler neck. Since the one near the filler neck can fail and considering what the valve has been through, being submerged in mucky flood water and all, it is possible that this valve may have died in a way that fouls the pressure of the system. If this is the case, it will be a cheaper and somewhat easier fix.

Now, when I find it, how to test it to figure out if it's dead or not? Someone mentioned blowing air into it but what should be the reaction I will expect to determine whether it's dead or not?
Post #740797 16th Nov 2018 10:49am
MartinK

Aha - so the Defender wasn;t running properly when you started? I assumed you had just changed the fuel filter...

maybe this thread is of use: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic22296.html Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #740798 16th Nov 2018 10:53am
HardCharger

He wasn't running at all since mid July when he drowned in flood water that went as high as half way up the vehicle. So the fuel system had to be drained and purged but the diesel / flood water mixture was in the system for a few days before they could actually do the purge.
Post #740801 16th Nov 2018 10:59am
MartinK

If there's diesel in the tank, but the priming tool is not pulling it thru, then I suggest either (1) the priming tools not working, or (2) there's an air leak in the system between tank and engine bay.... Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #740824 16th Nov 2018 3:28pm
Roger

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Java Black
Bluest wrote:
How do you stop air being reintroduced when you disconnect the kit?

Bluest, I got exactly that issue. Thinking I had properly bled the system, started up the rover only to hear it die after about a minute achieving nothing more than emptying the common fuel rail as well as the fuel pump! Big Cry

As the tank was nearly empty (to limit fuel loss if everything went wrong!) I think after 'priming', fuel was running back down the 'primed' fuel line to the filter/tank while I took my sweet time fiddling about with the connectors!

In the end I sorted it out by using a set of fuel hose clamps to keep the fuel line primed while reconnecting everything.

Interestingly given the cost of the genuine (and even aftermarket) bleed tools, I used this set up, costing less than £20 from the local halfrauds:

Click image to enlarge

The brake bleed kit was entirely sacrificial as the clear hose push fits really nicely into the 5/16" fuel hose and allows you to actually see the fuel is clear of bubbles!

Instead of connecting exactly where the workshop manual suggests (female end of below pic) I went one connection further from the fuel pump (male end of the below pic) to the connector with the green valve cap.

Click image to enlarge

The clear hose from the brake bleed kit pushes perfectly inside the male connector as is and with electrical tape around it at the other end, seals into the corresponding female part nicely.

As the fuel bulb pump is useless with air and needs to be primed to work (not particularly helpful) I connected up to the fuel line from the filter/tank and left the other end open so that I could press a thumb over the end while the bulb pump was drawing. Once the system was primed to my thumb I used the fuel hose clamp to keep it that way while I pushed the clear plastic hose inside the male connector leading to the fuel pump. Once I had pumped enough to prime the pump I used the fuel hose clamp on the filter/tank side of the female connector to prevent fuel running back to the tank, disconnected the bleed set and reconnected the fuel line with a very minimal air pocket.

So that I wasn't pushing too much air through the common fuel rail I also disconnected the yellow fuel line on top of the block from the fuel return after the fuel rail (the 5/16" fuel hose push fits nicely onto the male connector). This I tried to bleed to the atmosphere but I'm not sure how successful it was as I seemed to end up just drawing a vacuum (possibly there is too much resistance in the fuel pump to pull the fuel through from downstream and you can only push it through from upstream).

Took a bit of time turning over then fired back into life but the main success was that the solution was found for circa£20 all in without having to source any connectors Very Happy
Post #750939 13th Jan 2019 2:06pm
RobM

Australia 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Alaska White
What's the green cap/valve used for?
Hey Guys.... 1st time post as I've only recently purchased a '09 Puma 110 and I want to become familiar in changing fuel filter.

I'm yet to replace the fuel filter myself but I was wondering what the green cap/connection is for? I realise that there is some type of valve in there but can u someway utilise this to prime the fuel system? The valve looks similar to a tyre valve and was wondering if the valve screws out like a tyre valve? (sorry if I've got this totally wrong but I am just curious as to what this is really for?)

Click image to enlarge
Post #751467 15th Jan 2019 4:31pm
RobM

Any ideas what the green cap is for?

Click image to enlarge
 Cheers.....
Rob

1995 Defender Tdi 110Wgn
1996 LR Discovery Tdi300 (A)
2009 Defender PUMA 110Wgn
My TRPS: Rob's WikiLoc Trips
Post #770141 26th Apr 2019 7:16am
MartinK

I don;t recall seeing a connector like that - what's it on??? Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #770149 26th Apr 2019 8:21am
dorsetsmith

has your fuel filter head been modded with priming pump and green cap/valve fitted at engine end fuel system to bleed air out Question then changing fuel filter
Post #770167 26th Apr 2019 10:32am
bos

Slovenia 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Sumatra Black
0,2 bar air throu breather pipe, afer 0,5 lit desel throu sistem, no more air
Post #772750 12th May 2019 11:02am
RobM

dorsetsmith wrote:
has your fuel filter head been modded with priming pump and green cap/valve fitted at engine end fuel system to bleed air out Question then changing fuel filter

That Green Cap came standard here in Australia so I'm lead to believe? Cheers.....
Rob

1995 Defender Tdi 110Wgn
1996 LR Discovery Tdi300 (A)
2009 Defender PUMA 110Wgn
My TRPS: Rob's WikiLoc Trips
Post #772753 12th May 2019 11:49am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 9 of 10 <12345678910>