↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma re map - very pleased
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
urbanriot

2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Due to the unique style of how a LR drives, I am not sure that peak power figures actually relate to the drivability of a LR.

I tuned my Chevy which is a small block v8 and I know the figures increased along with the acceleration ( & consumtion) !

But I will say that my BAS retune certainly livens the old Puma up, it has been a month now and every time I drive it I assure myself that it was worth doing, I don't chav it about as it is still a shed shaped car but it does certainly drive a lot smoother - pulls freely through 3 - 6 gear effortlessly and on the odd occasion it has suprised a few road users when I am merging onto a A road or M/way, personally I would not give it the beans in 1st & 2nd as the wear on the drivetrain would not be good.

I did 95mph at the weekend - frightened the bejesus out of me, but that said 95 in a shed aints bad at all. A Comparison Between Logs and Dogs
Both are very popular at Christmas,
But it is not generally considered cruel to abandon a log,
And dogs are rarely used as fuel.
Post #36313 14th Jul 2010 9:17pm
harveyg77

United Kingdom 
Hmm, according to Autologic the PUMA 'only' generates 231 lb/ft (314 Nm) in standard tune, where do LR get 277 lb/ft (375 Nm) from?
Post #36314 14th Jul 2010 9:30pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
urbanriot wrote:
as it is still a shed shaped car. I did 95mph at the weekend - frightened the bejesus out of me, but that said 95 in a shed aints bad at all.

Laughing Like the terminology! 'Flying breeze block' was my referral! 95mph certainly does make the grip tighten and the colon twitch a little! Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #36316 14th Jul 2010 9:47pm
Robofarmer

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
K9F wrote:
urbanriot wrote:
as it is still a shed shaped car. I did 95mph at the weekend - frightened the bejesus out of me, but that said 95 in a shed aints bad at all.

Laughing Like the terminology! 'Flying breeze block' was my referral! 95mph certainly does make the grip tighten and the colon twitch a little! Thumbs Up

I agree with you there k9 ! as you know its even harder when your trying to take a pic of the speedo ! is 95 mph the max anybody has done in a puma Question Thumbs Up 2008 110 County utility
ex 1988 defender 90 ,td
ex 1970 series III
Post #36321 14th Jul 2010 10:09pm
K9F

Hi Robo,

Got mine to 97 downhill (with the old tune) with a fair wind behind but in no way could I relinquish my vice-like grip on the steering wheel, the steely-eyed focus about 200metres in front on the path before me, the clenching of my ar5e cheeks or calm the pounding of my heart in my ears, or my conscience saying any minute your pistons are going to be coming through your bonnet "What the friggin' hell do you think you are doing?" Think I may well have had a bead or two of sweat on my brow too! All in a controlled situation with paramedics, fire brigade in attendance and surrounded in flowpack in the event of impact and the lack of safety airbags in the Defender. A mate was there with a paperbag in the event of hyperventilation afterwards too!

Never again!!! Laughing

Have heard of individual(s) breaking the ton barrier but unconfirmed. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #36324 14th Jul 2010 10:27pm
Robofarmer

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
K9F wrote:
Hi Robo,

Got mine to 97 downhill (with the old tune) with a fair wind behind but in no way could I relinquish my vice-like grip on the steering wheel, the steely-eyed focus about 200metres in front on the path before me, the clenching of my ar5e cheeks or calm the pounding of my heart in my ears, or my conscience saying any minute your pistons are going to be coming through your bonnet "What the friggin' hell do you think you are doing?" Think I may well have had a bead or two of sweat on my brow too! All in a controlled situation with paramedics, fire brigade in attendance and surrounded in flowpack in the event of impact and the lack of safety airbags in the Defender. A mate was there with a paperbag in the event of hyperventilation afterwards too!

Never again!!! Laughing

Have heard of individual(s) breaking the ton barrier but unconfirmed.

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter... Hmmnn the ton barrier not sure we have enough legal runway around here ! maybe one day i mite have another go but as i,m due to drive to italy in a few wks i don,t want to be tempting LR666. Very Happy Thumbs Up 2008 110 County utility
ex 1988 defender 90 ,td
ex 1970 series III
Post #36333 14th Jul 2010 11:07pm
--defender--

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Zermatt Silver
harveyg77 wrote:
So is anyone going to tell me what a BAS retuned PUMA puts out. I assume a standard one is approx. 125PS and 277lb/ft.

Cheers Harvey

I'd like to see some power/torque curves for the BAS remap, also I'd like to have some idea on how this remap effects fuel economy. On other cars I've had remapped, fuel economy has always suffered to achieve better performance (I guess you never get something for nothing!?), I'd hate my Defender to have even worse fuel consumption than it has already! Saying that, when towing mine runs out of steam on hills and I see my economy (displayed on my Scangauge II) hit the floor, more power might yeld better economy in this situation...
Post #43126 20th Oct 2010 4:00pm
K9F

--defender-- wrote:
I'd hate my Defender to have even worse fuel consumption than it has already! Saying that, when towing mine runs out of steam on hills and I see my economy (displayed on my Scangauge II) hit the floor, more power might yeld better economy in this situation...

My economy with remap did increase but the temptation to drive a little heavy footed is never too far away. Balances out I'd say. I too have a Scangauge but as it is an instantaneous reading never pay too much attention to the economy readout. Also as it is American made and the US gallon is significantly smaller than that of the Imperial gallon MPL is really the only reasonable accurate readout. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #43143 20th Oct 2010 6:53pm
johnnyturbo2002

Spain 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Java Black
urbanriot wrote:
sc70 wrote:
This is my first post and have been following for a while, Pete fitted a tune to my puma at shepton mallet LR show and it's bl**dy fantastic, limiter is removed Whistle and towing is amazing Thumbs Up

also had a V V Turbo for the TD5 from him Thumbs Up Thumbs Up great service top bloke Bow down

Now then I need to confirm - are you related to Pete, have you ever been related to Pete, would you like to be related or have relations with Pete ?

Apparently we need to confirm these details before we can big anyone up - and for gods sake do NOT mention the war.

"I only said Jehova"

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter 2008 Defender 110 60 year Edition (sold unfortunately)
IN the hunt for another Puma for the wifey!
2008 Kia Sorento LX 😁 2.5crdi
Post #43230 21st Oct 2010 7:51pm
whip

France 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
hello

i Ordered BAS remap it this monday, and i Received it Thursday
really easy to install, but beware, this does not work with windows 7
Pete is very available for any question

the defender is transcended, it seems much lighter.
I live in the mountains, and it's so good .....
the defender takes the RPM much faster as the speed.
it feels much power to reach 1900/2000 rpm and with greater force to 1500/1600 rpm.
I am very very happy with the remap, I was not expecting something especially effective.
now I must pay attention to the accelerator,

I am a happy owner of Defender

in 1 week i make 1200KM of travel with def, i said to you my feeling after

nico

Ps: i'm not a pete friend's or pete family's Laughing Laughing
Post #44031 31st Oct 2010 3:47pm
--defender--

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Zermatt Silver
whip wrote:

So it won't work with my Mac then? Whistle If it ain't broke don't fix it!
Post #44172 2nd Nov 2010 5:53pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Q:

Based on the stats of this page, why is BAS far more popular than any other?

MK Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #44173 2nd Nov 2010 5:54pm
dgardel

Italy 
--defender-- wrote:
whip wrote:

So it won't work with my Mac then? Whistle

bootcamp or parallel desktop .......

I use the second one Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #44182 2nd Nov 2010 7:30pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
szracer

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Add me to the 'satisfied customer' list.

Ordered the remap box on Wednesday afternoon, got it yesterday (Thursday), downloaded my standard map and sent to Pete yesterday, got it back by 11pm (with an apology for taking so long!).

Uploaded it to the 110 this morning (yes, I know I've only had the truck a week, bt it had done 4000 miles, so I don't feel so bad about remapping it so soon), and it's a great transformation!

Doesn't turn the Defender into a Ferrari (an extra 30BHP and a bit more torque won't do that!), but, what it does do is to somehow make eveything a lot smoother and free-er. Seems to rev much more freely, and the gear ratios seem to 'gel' more.

Only subjective thing so far, is that although the first run post-remap seemed a 'flyer', on the second and third runs the engine seems a bit coarser and slower (like pre-remao). Could it be me getting used to the remap, or the ECU adjusting itself?

Anyway, very happy, and it does work on Windows 7. All you need to do is to install the USB>serial drivers manually.

By the way, you can get even more up-to-date USB>serial drivers from FTDI (google it).

James
P.S. Also neither related to, nor sleeping with Pete Bell..... Smile

whip wrote:
hello

the defender is transcended, it seems much lighter.
I live in the mountains, and it's so good .....
the defender takes the RPM much faster as the speed.
it feels much power to reach 1900/2000 rpm and with greater force to 1500/1600 rpm.
I am very very happy with the remap, I was not expecting something especially effective.
now I must pay attention to the accelerator,

I am a happy owner of Defender

in 1 week i make 1200KM of travel with def, i said to you my feeling after

nico

Ps: i'm not a pete friend's or pete family's Laughing Laughing

2010 110 XS USW (the slow one)
1960 Alfa Romeo Giulietta SZ (the fast one)
2005 Ducati ST3
1954 Sunbeam S8
Post #44427 5th Nov 2010 9:44pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
slightly OT but related.

can anyone using BAS or similar advise how it affected their insurance premium. did it go up dramaticallly or only by a few pounds?

reading all these threads has tempted me..... Cool BM52
Post #44432 5th Nov 2010 10:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>