↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma EGR blanking plate FREE :-)
Did this plate make any difference to your cars running.
Made no difference
20%
 20%  [2]
Made my car better and i will post the results
80%
 80%  [8]
Made my car worse and i will post the results
0%
 0%  [0]
Total Votes: 10

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 12 <123 456 ... 101112>
Print this entire topic · 
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
mrwoo wrote:
mse wrote:
has anyone tried disconnecting the EGR sensor or power feed and or reconnecting the monitor pins?

I have tried disconnecting the sensor to no avail, it doesn't seem to make the engine run as smoothly as one with a blanking plate fitted. I think mine may be stuck open so whatever I do with the power to the EGR vlave makes no difference.

What do you mean by reconnecting the monitor pins?

Instead of removing the sensor - remove it from the system by making the ECU think its connected. Now ive not looked at the AT ALL. but some sensors if you connect say pin 2 and 4 then the ECU thinks the system is working.

Your only getting a warning because:
a) the ECU is detecting a real fault (bad)
b) the ECU is detecting a difference in its sensor values - which is a sensor value error.

it could i suppose be an emmissions monitor something along the lines of a petrol lamba sensor registering a high value.

either way you need to find the offending sensor and fix that problem. Mike
Post #3060 4th Aug 2008 6:32pm
mrwoo

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
mse wrote:
mrwoo wrote:
mse wrote:
has anyone tried disconnecting the EGR sensor or power feed and or reconnecting the monitor pins?

I have tried disconnecting the sensor to no avail, it doesn't seem to make the engine run as smoothly as one with a blanking plate fitted. I think mine may be stuck open so whatever I do with the power to the EGR vlave makes no difference.

Instead of removing the sensor - remove it from the system by making the ECU think its connected. Now ive not looked at the AT ALL. but some sensors if you connect say pin 2 and 4 then the ECU thinks the system is working.

b) the ECU is detecting a difference in its sensor values - which is a sensor value error.

it could i suppose be an emmissions monitor something along the lines of a petrol lamba sensor registering a high value.

either way you need to find the offending sensor and fix that problem.

I think the warning lamp is a result of extra ambient air passing over the Mass Air Sensor in the airbox, thats what the guys on the transit forum say anyway. So I dont think adjusting the actual EGR sensor will make a difference.

I think the cure is to either try and widen the acceptable range of air read by the MAS in the ECU or use something like scanguage to reset the fault before the lamp comes on.
Post #3066 5th Aug 2008 8:41am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
mrwoo wrote:
mse wrote:
mrwoo wrote:
mse wrote:

either way you need to find the offending sensor and fix that problem.

I think the warning lamp is a result of extra ambient air passing over the Mass Air Sensor in the airbox, thats what the guys on the transit forum say anyway. So I dont think adjusting the actual EGR sensor will make a difference.

I think the cure is to either try and widen the acceptable range of air read by the MAS in the ECU or use something like scanguage to reset the fault before the lamp comes on.

You have hit my point though - trace the sensor thats at fault and fix that issue Mike
Post #3069 5th Aug 2008 5:01pm
mrwoo

I dont think fooling the MAS will work though becuase this sensor has to read the actual ambient air flow so the ECU knows how much diesal etc is required. I think the range on the MAS needs to be adjusted so it can accept the higher air flows.

I know it needs a development house such as BELL to find the answer to this one, any news Pete?

Cheers Rich
Post #3072 5th Aug 2008 5:20pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Here is a picture of what you are blanking off

Click image to enlarge

Wider view

Now I have seen the configuration of the holes in the tube TBH I don't think there will be much difference between drilling a 5mm Ø hole or a 10mm Ø hole. I have drilled my blanking plate out to 19mm Ø
Post #3214 16th Aug 2008 8:44am
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Humm , Now im wondering if i made a plate that had ALL the holes that the EGR cooler has got but all small , EG 19x2mm holes in the same place as the originals then you are not blocking some of the holes but are restricting them all slightly.

As soon as i have a car available for some more time ill do some more testing on this and hope to find a cure.

Regards Pete
Post #3220 16th Aug 2008 8:02pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mrwoo

I have been running with a 12mm hole (biggest dril bit I had) and so far there is no warning light on, I have driven more than 3 driving cycles, the amount that would normally put my light on. I dont think the engine is quite as smooth as a fully blanked EGR but I think that is to be expected.

Rich
Post #3233 19th Aug 2008 8:28am
eric67

2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Hi All,

any news about the EGR blanky plate ?

Does somebody found if it's possible to fully blank the EGR, without having the engine warning light switching on ?

Regards,

Eric.
Post #4745 17th Nov 2008 8:01pm
Verdone

Belgium 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Java Black
Just took mine out, never found a way to disable the warning light fully Neutral

Took it out cause my def is beeing towed to the dealers so Wink

Verdone
Post #4764 17th Nov 2008 11:37pm
vinsell

Italy 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
Yesterday I had problems with my egr valve. Now the car is at the dealer and they told me that they will solve the problems (I had an egr fault code).

I think that I will have the same problem again and again so I'd like to remove the egr valve as I did with my previus car (Discovery 300tdi). Could You give me any help to cut the blanking plate by myself ?

Thank You.
Post #12725 7th Jul 2009 9:26am
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 
The whole reason for exhaust gas recirculation (egr) is to reduce combustion temperatures to reduce oxides of nitrogen (which when put in the atmosphere produces nitric acid, acid rain).
Exhaust gas is diverted back into the combustion chamber, which is inert (won't burn, or help burning), thus although warm, it reduces temperatures by reducing combustion.
When the egr is operating normally, exhaust gas gets diverted back into the engine, thus reducing the amount of fresh air needed, this in turn drops the amount of air read by the air mass meter.
Most mordern emission engines have ecu's which look for this drop, when the egr should be operating, thus knowing that the egr operates ok. By blanking the egr, the mass air flow sensor is still well within it's normal operating range, but has an unexpected reading, higher, because of the blanked egr, thus the ecu waits a few drive cycles to see if the fault is persistant enough to notify the driver about (by putting the management warning light on), this is a 'pending' code.

So, in this case, unless the ecu could be rewritten to ignore the 'unexpected' reading, the light will come on.
I think I am correct in saying that it is very difficult to alter the logic of the ecu, rather than just remapping the normal performance parameters.

HTH
Regards
Steve
Post #12846 10th Jul 2009 10:43pm
Verdone

Belgium 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Java Black
Any more news on this, ever since removing the blanking plate im getting worse and worse black smoke Whistle

I would love to put it back but that freaking light keeps poppin up Evil or Very Mad

Verdone
Post #14348 17th Aug 2009 7:28pm
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Ive not had time to do any more testing as yet, ive been realy buisy with shows and the TDV6 defender build.

ill do some more asap.

pete
Post #14352 17th Aug 2009 9:18pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dgardel

Italy 
Pete, waiting your news.....
Post #14355 18th Aug 2009 12:58am
dgardel

Italy 
.......and.......

blank TOTALY the EGR and make an (eg 12mm) hole on the rubber (from filter to compressor) pipe AFTER the MAF?????
Post #14356 18th Aug 2009 1:01am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 12 <123 456 ... 101112>