Home > Puma (Tdci) > Nanocom fails on a 2.2l Defender
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
landhank

Germany 
Nanocom fails on a 2.2l Defender
Good morning everybody,

just found out that the Nanocom is obviously not the best tool to work with the 2.2l Defender. It shows wrong readings when trying to check oil and intake temp etc in the ECU and its not possible to do injector codings and a pilot correction.

Could anyone suggest a diagnostic tool that would allow the injector-codings and the pilot correction on the 6 digit VDO/Continental injectors?

Regards
Landhank
Post #927895 31st Oct 2021 6:32am
nitram17

That's very disappointing have you taken this up with black box?
Post #927939 31st Oct 2021 12:12pm
landhank

Germany 
Yes, of course. That was my first step. They confirmed that the Nanocom is only working with 16-digit codes for the injector coding (which means its working up to MY2012 with Denso injectors only). The 2.2l engine comes with VDO/Continental injectors and they have a 6-digit code.

For me it looks like that the Nanocom is having trouble with the CAN bus communication on the newer models with the 2.2l engine. Trying to do a pilot correction is always coming up with an CAN-bus error.
Post #927942 31st Oct 2021 12:34pm
nitram17

Thanks for alerting us later model defender owners to the problem! I Wonder given they new abput the problem if black box are being economical with the truth (by omission)regarding their products capabilities with later model defenders ?Perhaps in the interests of openness others that have found problems would like to comment?
Post #927949 31st Oct 2021 1:36pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Re original question, have a look at forscan ( as the 2.2 is a ford engine) ,reasonably priced and coupled with a quality obd2 reader that supports forscan should be able to code and pilot learn injectors for the 2.2. However worth confirming that with them before purchase. And checking out the forscan forum.

Re nitram17’s question on nanocom support for the 2.2. They state that the ALM unit fitted to 2.2’s is supported. However one member on here used it to set indicators to blink when activating alarm and in doing so immobilised the engine ! Now they may have rectified that issue with their latest beta software by adding a function that reinstates communications between the ALM and engine ECU. However it has raised concerns with me and I now have a lack of confidence in the nanocom ALM support.

I have raised a few questions with BBS SPY on here re ALM support https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic68425.html and after no reply for a long while I also sent a pm, but that has not been read.

This coupled to the above issues re injector coding etc is making me wonder how much support the nanocom provides for the 2.2 beyond what a basic obd2 app provides, especially if you add the forscan app as well.
Post #927954 31st Oct 2021 2:20pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Forscan does not work with 2.2. JLR have changed a few things and is not recognized by Forscan. I tried it. Big Cry 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #927956 31st Oct 2021 2:53pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks Dinnu, I was going to buy a copy of forscan just to see if it works, but you have saved me a doing that. Thumbs Up
Post #927960 31st Oct 2021 3:30pm
nitram17

Ianh wrote:
Re original question, have a look at forscan ( as the 2.2 is a ford engine) ,reasonably priced and coupled with a quality obd2 reader that supports forscan should be able to code and pilot learn injectors for the 2.2. However worth confirming that with them before purchase. And checking out the forscan forum.

Re nitram17’s question on nanocom support for the 2.2. They state that the ALM unit fitted to 2.2’s is supported. However one member on here used it to set indicators to blink when activating alarm and in doing so immobilised the engine ! Now they may have rectified that issue with their latest beta software by adding a function that reinstates communications between the ALM and engine ECU. However it has raised concerns with me and I now have a lack of confidence in the nanocom ALM support.

I have raised a few questions with BBS SPY on here re ALM support https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic68425.html and after no reply for a long while I also sent a pm, but that has not been read.

This coupled to the above issues re injector coding etc is making me wonder how much support the nanocom provides for the 2.2 beyond what a basic obd2 app provides, especially if you add the forscan app as well.

its a little disconcerting that they have not replied to your enquiry.....we really need to know if there is a problem with later defenders and their silence if im being honest is a little deafening! Diesel driver on here promotes group buys so perhaps he would like to comment!
Post #927989 31st Oct 2021 6:45pm
landhank

Germany 
For me this means a bit of a headache because my Defender needs new injectors and I thought I was well equipped with a Nanocom. The bbs website even states that the coding works. Too bad.
Has anyone worked with Launch or Icarsoft diagnostics?
Post #928026 1st Nov 2021 6:58am
Angus_Beef

Norway 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
I have the BAS RRC (which is based on the IID tool as far as I can tell) and it is able to code the injectors on my 2015 without issue.

Perhaps the the bas tool or the iid would satisfy your needs?

Disappointing about the nanocom. I was considering getting one for the alm, but it seems that there are too many unknowns, including this thread Sad Roaming around 🇳🇴🇨🇭

Last edited by Angus_Beef on 3rd Nov 2021 7:55pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #928027 1st Nov 2021 7:10am
Julie

France 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
landhank wrote:
For me this means a bit of a headache because my Defender needs new injectors and I thought I was well equipped with a Nanocom. The bbs website even states that the coding works. Too bad.
Has anyone worked with Launch or Icarsoft diagnostics?

I have the Nanocom and Ihave an early 110 with the 2.2L engine.

Injector coding and pump relearn show up on my menu bar and Black Box indicate this function in their user manual (for the early birds at least)

Although I've never tried ...

Some jugdes say injectors are not wearing parts and they shall survive an engine's life (but that's another question) EURO5 engine's homologations are for 200 000 kms
Post #928398 3rd Nov 2021 7:00pm
Julie

France 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
user manual p8

Injector Grades

Reads and provides editing and writing capabilities for each of the four groups of 16 Hex injector grade characters as stamped on the injectors. Injectors are numbered from front to back, number 1 is at the front and number 4 is at the back end of the engine.
Each injector has its own unique code. This code is used by the engine management as part of the fuelling control and must be entered correctly.

Pump Learning

Each injector connected to the engine management has different characteristics e.g. opening times, shutting times and these injector characteristics vary with fuel rail pressure. Normal Pilot Correction learning functionality is designed to learn changes to injectors over time, so it only allows incremental changes from previously-learned values. If injectors are changed, or cleaned etc, the difference may be substantial. Pilot correction learning may not be able to immediately access the appropriate values - it may take several engine cycles to reach the correct values. This will adversely affect emissions.
The next time normal learning is done, pilot correction learning will immediately adjust to the appropriate value. The user must start the engine and run at idle while using this function.

IF THE NANCOM DID NOT ITS JOB, YOU SHOULD GO IN TOUCH WITH BLACK BOX SOLUTIONS...

Last edited by Julie on 3rd Nov 2021 7:13pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #928400 3rd Nov 2021 7:11pm
landhank

Germany 
Yes, it shows up. But its not working. If you try to read out the injector codings, it shows you a 16-digit code which is not suitable for the injectors in a 2.2l.

If you try to do the pilot correction, it comes up with a CAN-fault.
Post #928401 3rd Nov 2021 7:12pm
philippr86

Germany 
Hi landhank,

yes same here. Just tried to run the pilot correction yesterday but just shows a fault message. Same thing with injector codes. Newest software installed of course.
The tool I've got from BAS remap shows the correct injector codes. Also provides the pilot correction. Doesn't show a fault, but requires the engine to be switched off, which does not correspond to the Nanocom description. But I haven't been in contact with Pete Bell yet, to ask for clarification.
Will let you know if I get some feedback...

Phil
Post #928497 4th Nov 2021 3:30pm
landhank

Germany 
Hi philippr86,

thanks for your message. Which tool from Pete Bell do i need? I think it will run because as i remember the Nanocom pilot correction requires a switched off engine as well before you are able to start the procedure (i did it on my 2.4l).

Regards
Landhank
Post #928511 4th Nov 2021 4:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>