↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Nanocom fails on a 2.2l Defender
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Ianh

United Kingdom 
The tool that Pete at bell auto services uses is an IIDTool. Pete adds his maps to this to enable maps to be downloaded onto your vehicle and provide all the diagnostic capabilities of the tool.
https://bellautoservices.co.uk/store/defender-remap-tool/

If you do not want a map then cheaper to buy direct from gap diagnostics. Noting the std tool is linked to a specific individual vehicle.

https://www.gap-diagnostic.com/products/iidtool/

https://www.gap-diagnostic.com/support/documents/IIDTool/

Nanocom have some serious questions to answer when it comes to their 2.2 support, they really need to step up and rectify the many basic things unsupported on the 2.2 that are supported on the 2.4.

If others with a 2.2 and a nanocom feel the same perhaps we get a group together, list the issues and collectively approach black box solutions to get them resolved.
Post #928521 4th Nov 2021 5:50pm
landhank

Germany 
Of course i already tried to sort that problem out with BBS.
I got an answer in the forum that they know about the problem but they didnt really said anything about when they gonna fix it.

I wrote a message to their sales department as well asking if they could correct their manuel to avoid that other users going to buy a Nanocom and try to code injectors…
Post #928525 4th Nov 2021 6:00pm
philippr86

Germany 
Thanks Ianh, sums it up perfectly 👍

The Main reason I bought the Nanocom is to change my settings in the ALM module, which works quite good so far. The local LR dealer wasn‘t able to, so I did it myself. But other than that, the Nanocom is quite disappointing. Regarding the 2.2 is around for over 8 years now. Still a lot of bugs, no tools to
communicate with the ABS system…
Post #928568 4th Nov 2021 9:47pm
Julie

France 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Black Box are not responsive when it comes to their Nanocom.
The bug with the erating live data has never been fixed.
Our 110 is MY12.

One must admit that dpf reset, injector coding and pump learning have been added later.
Then they changed descriptions and they're marketing the Nanocom with these functions
This must be frustrating for their new clients.

On their website I've never seen anything for the NEW or other recent models.
Are they still interested in this market ?
Post #928687 5th Nov 2021 7:13pm
nitram17

Ianh wrote:
The tool that Pete at bell auto services uses is an IIDTool. Pete adds his maps to this to enable maps to be downloaded onto your vehicle and provide all the diagnostic capabilities of the tool.
https://bellautoservices.co.uk/store/defender-remap-tool/

If you do not want a map then cheaper to buy direct from gap diagnostics. Noting the std tool is linked to a specific individual vehicle.

https://www.gap-diagnostic.com/products/iidtool/

https://www.gap-diagnostic.com/support/documents/IIDTool/

Nanocom have some serious questions to answer when it comes to their 2.2 support, they really need to step up and rectify the many basic things unsupported on the 2.2 that are supported on the 2.4.

If others with a 2.2 and a nanocom feel the same perhaps we get a group together, list the issues and collectively approach black box solutions to get them resolved.

Very good idea Thumbs Up I would appreciate a comment from Diesel driver as he promotes the group buy on here for the nancom. Trading standards/ombudsmen might take a look if its true that they are selling a product that does not work as advertised.
Post #928694 5th Nov 2021 8:37pm
philippr86

Germany 
Just a quick update for all of you.
Have been in contact with Pete from BAS and he told me there is actually no such thing as a pilot correction learn in the 2.2 engine management. Must have been inadvertently copied from the 2.4 engine version…
Post #928703 5th Nov 2021 9:07pm
DieselDriver

Austria 2003 Defender 110 Td5 SW Belize Green
The injector coding works with Nanocom for Td5 and TD4 without problems.
For my Td5 it worked fine, for my TD4 I did not need it until now but it is supported.
Post #937988 16th Jan 2022 7:59pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
By TD4 do you mean the 2.4 TDCI engine ? as it's the later 2.2 TDCI engine where the inability to code the injectors was highlighted.
Post #937992 16th Jan 2022 8:28pm
DieselDriver

Yes, correct - it works for 2.4 and 2.4 (TD4 Puma).
The old Td4 (before Td5) is not supported by Nanocom.
Post #937994 16th Jan 2022 8:30pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Thanks DieselDriver, the issue is the 2.2 TDCI Injectors CAN’T be coded by the Nanocom, can you confirm I’m correct in this.
Thanks
Ian
Post #938000 16th Jan 2022 9:10pm
landhank

Germany 
It is definitely not working on a 2.2l engine. No injector coding possible, no pump learning and if you try to check sensor values, most of them are wrong (for example oil temp, coolant temp, air inlet temp).

I tried many times to get in contact with bbs but they are not answering my emails. I tried to get help in the nanocom forum as well, but obviously bbs is not answering the questions of the forum mods as well.

On the 2.4l the nanocom was a good tool… but on my new car, its kind of useless.
Post #938023 17th Jan 2022 8:57am
nitram17

D Driver appears not to want to comment about the 2.2 nancom! Yet he promotes group buys ! Rolling Eyes Shocked
Post #938081 17th Jan 2022 6:06pm
DieselDriver

nitram17 wrote:
D Driver appears not to want to comment about the 2.2 nancom! Yet he promotes group buys ! Rolling Eyes Shocked

As far as I am informed it also works for 2.2 Puma - this I also wrote one thread before (16th Jan 2022 9:30pm).

Moreover, I do not promote this product, I only organize the group buys.

I will ask the support team for you (bit of patience please)!

Last edited by DieselDriver on 18th Jan 2022 3:56pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #938112 17th Jan 2022 9:19pm
DieselDriver

So, here the answers.

Quote:
The best version covering Puma is the 1.35 or latest Beta.

For injector coding the Nanocom support only the 16 digit injector codes.
The pump learn is supported.

As for sensor values, have you checked those values on multiple cars showing wrong values?

Moreover, they havent got any report of wrong values for Defender Puma. So, it does not look like that you have asked the BBS support team. Wink

@landhank: Which firmware release do you use on your Nanocom?
Post #938186 18th Jan 2022 3:25pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Thanks Diesel Driver,

So we have confirmation that injector coding is NOT possible on a 2.2 TDCI using the Nanocom!
Are there plans to rectify this deficiency? And if so by when? If not will Nanocom be revising their documentation and marketing material to explain this lack of support.

As you have the ear of BBS support, I raised a question on ALM support and would appreciate an answer.

I was looking at the thread BBS spy started on the ALM ECU.
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic68425.html

I raised the following question on the thread and sent a private message but have not received a reply.

My question.

A question that hopefully BBS SPY ( Colin at black box solutions ) can help me with.
I’m a nanocom owner for a Puma.

There seems to be two versions of the black cased ALM ECU.
One that was fitted between 2012 - 2014 , serial numbers starting with CH, and uses the older style Lucas fobs.
One that was fitted from 2014 onwards. Serial numbers starting with DH, has newer fobs with chrome strip.

Apparently like the green AS10 unit before, the first generation ALM ECU also became obsolete, hence then replaced with a different newer ALM ECU.
See details on remotekey’s site https://remotekey.co.uk/land-rover-keys-re...larm-ecus/

The question is, “does the nanocom unit support these two versions of the ALM unit in the same way? “ as reading your text in this set of posts you only mention the later ALM unit with new type fobs.

Remote key also state that you can have a problem with the ALM CH serial number versions if the main battery gets low. This can cause the software to be corrupted and they infer that if you try to reprogram with a diagnostic tool, I.e the nanocom, it will become unrepairable by them. Now I may have read this wrong, as the way they have written this is is slightly confusing. But it would be good to get your views on this as well.

I’m sure other owners would be interested in your reply to these two questions and better understanding the nanocom’s capabilities in monitoring and programming these ALM ECU’s

Thanks
Ian
Post #938223 18th Jan 2022 7:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>