Page 6 of 6 <123456
Print this entire topic · 
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
markb110 wrote:
Here is a reason why those will always keep their diesel and petrol trucks

Adventure

Grab a coffee and enjoy.

Thanks Mark. I think our North American cousins overuse/misuse the word ‘awesome’ but it is perfect in this context. I was lucky enough in my time in the Army to do three stints in Canada (two summer, one winter), one in Washington State, three in Norway (one summer, two winter), one in Kenya and six months in Iraq. All opportunities to head out into complete wilderness and for me, one of the absolute highlights of my career.

Whilst I live in one of the most beautiful parts of Europe, we don’t have nearly the same access as Canada, US, NZ etc. I love having the mountains on my doorstep, but I’d do anything for them to be empty of people and civilisation. Here, there’s a road, town, resort around every corner, in every view. I want empty.

One day I’ll convince Mrs Grenadier to make the move. She certainly seems to be warming to the idea of a 4x4 exped in Patagonia. Now I just need to convince her it should be in my Def and not using a local rental.

Thanks again. Stunning video. Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #923326 29th Sep 2021 7:39am
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
familymad wrote:
Grenadier for Europe. The Rivian is huge and would be a real bind on UK roads and car parks. It is a tech step on from fossil fuels but that doesn't make it the best farm or adventure hack. Defender selling well without pure EV...

Nothing I can disagree with, but Ineos cannot make the Grenadier survive on European sales (at least, I don't think so). This has been my point all along, that the Rivian is going to wayyyy out-sell the Grenadier in the largest car market in the world. I will be surprised if Ineos sell 1,000 in the US in three years. But then, I will be surprised if the Grenadier is even launched at all. Now left.
Post #923376 29th Sep 2021 12:18pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Post #924296 3rd Oct 2021 10:59pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I'm impressed, and I have to say that the Rivian looks good in the flesh.

I am fairly sure that I would lack the courage even to attempt that drive! Shocked
Post #924347 4th Oct 2021 10:21am
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
EV’s are ace off road. Quiet too so less for the green whiners to whine about. Shame it’s such a big lump 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #924366 4th Oct 2021 11:16am
ResGuy68

United States 
What puddle? wrote:

Nothing I can disagree with, but Ineos cannot make the Grenadier survive on European sales (at least, I don't think so). This has been my point all along, that the Rivian is going to wayyyy out-sell the Grenadier in the largest car market in the world. I will be surprised if Ineos sell 1,000 in the US in three years. But then, I will be surprised if the Grenadier is even launched at all.

I think it's important to note the booming commercial success that is body-on-frame 4x4s in the states. This is a segment which despite having some "archaic" trapping has seen massive successes and huge margins.

Jeep Wrangler
2021: 230k annualized sales
2010: 94k sales

4Runner
2021: 135k annualized sales
2010: 46k sales

Ford Bronco
2021: 110k annualized sales
2010: Didn't exist

These vehicles are terribly inefficient (14-18 MPG), are generally underpowered (Bronco and niche Wrangler offerings aside), and haven't really innovated in a decade or two (4runner is functionally unchanged since 2004 on powertrain, Jeep has seen only minor changes).

Despite this, the segment has grown by 3x at a time when overall industry car sales flat-lined. Consumers want this type of "archaic" car. Ford obviously agreed. They spent billions on their Bronco platform which was only recently released in 2021.

If INEOS fails, it will have little to do with the market... because, the market is there.

If they can't squeeze 20k sales out of a segment as large as this. It's on them.
Post #924663 5th Oct 2021 10:43pm
SteveGren

United States 
I think Ineos can make a go of things in the States.

I would not consider the Bronco or Jeep..too small, and not sold on reliability. I would consider a new 4Runner when the next gen comes out - if it's at least as large as my current 100 series LC..so they face possible competition then.

I like that the Grenadier has a large payload, and I *hope* it's big enough I can make myself comfortable sleeping in the back on long excursions (need to see it in person to know first).

I won't be getting a Rivian (and this is from a Tesla owner). EV's are perfect for cities, and even fine for road trips between cities (Tesla has an adequate charging infrastructure)...but buying an EV when your whole goal is to GET AWAY from civilization seems ...sub optimal:)

There are plenty of people who love the idea of buying the capability to take crazy and adventurous trips way WAY WAY out there..even if we don't end up taking them as often as we would like! Grenadier is going to appeal to that type of person.
Post #924786 6th Oct 2021 9:43pm
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
My cousin lives in Chicago. Most of his mates drive prepped Wranglers. Some, like him, spent a large sum of cash to buy a RHD Defender and make it better. 6 have registered interest in the Grenadier. He has his spec ready to order on the config. It appears a diesel ladder frame off-roader which is easy to mod is exactly what they want. They like driving European gear, it’s seen as edgy and different. 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #924806 7th Oct 2021 8:20am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 6 <123456