↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Puma to LT1/8L90 Restomod
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 18 of 38 <123 ... 171819 ... 363738>
Print this entire topic · 
mrfirepro

United Kingdom 1996 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Bonatti Grey
Here are my notes for fitting the RW's 8L90 to LT230 adapter.

the gearbox has an unused mount in the way that needs to be cut off.

Click image to enlarge

It will then need to be ground down until there is enough clearance for the TC allen screws

Click image to enlarge

One of the TC bolts needs to be removed and replaced with a countersunk machine screw (Provided with the RW's kit) so that the TC clears the trans sump.

Click image to enlarge

apart from the above was all quite smooth sailing

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Been a bit of a mission getting all the parts together for mounting this lot, I'm now only missing one part, this one

Click image to enlarge

The part number for this is ANR4698 or ANR2821, RW's do make one but I'd like to find one in the UK so I don’t have to wait, any ideas...I'm also told the same part was used on early Discos and RRC's...anyone got one...
Post #908607 20th Jun 2021 10:30am
Philip

United Kingdom 
Could try somewhere like LRR in Greenwich for a used one.
Post #908617 20th Jun 2021 12:21pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Great progress! I’ve looked back in the thread but can’t find what you are doing for transmission control. Does the kit from turnkey come with a lever or button drive selector? You also mentioned that the whole thing comes as a kit and is tested before shipping. Does that include all the electronics you need to integrate it into the puma?

I’m planning on doing this in a few years time. The next few years will be spent upgrading the drive line in readiness and all the other bits so that when the time comes I just need to drop the drive unit in. I’m looking at LS3 or LT1 and really wanted the 8 speed auto but I can’t seem to find an option for 8 speed with the LS3. Any thoughts?

Finally, what tipped the balance for you to go for the LT rather than the LS? You made reference to it way back in the thread but I’d appreciate some more detail.

Finally (sorry!) how have you found dealing with an American supplier as opposed to someone in the UK? Has it worked out cheaper?

Thanks
Col
Post #908637 20th Jun 2021 5:31pm
mrfirepro

Hi Col,

Happy to share any of my very limited knowledge or my experiences.

Co1 wrote:
Great progress! I’ve looked back in the thread but can’t find what you are doing for transmission control. The trans control is included as part of the package from Turnkey Does the kit from turnkey come with a lever or button drive selector? You also mentioned that the whole thing comes as a kit and is tested before shipping. Does that include all the electronics you need to integrate it into the puma?

There is a separate trans TCU which is provided as part of the Turnkey package and comes with the shifter lever including a tap shift button.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The Turnkey package does not included for any integration of the Puma electronics, for that I'm using Martin at Futuranet who has been brilliant so far and is integrating TPS and adding ABS, TC and AC to a basic Puma. He is also working on a separate display for all the engine info and a gear indicator. I'm sure Martin will read this and reply directly with what he's doing for this build as his explanation will be much better than mine.

Co1 wrote:
I’m looking at LS3 or LT1 and really wanted the 8 speed auto but I can’t seem to find an option for 8 speed with the LS3. Any thoughts?

Here is a really good video on the differences between the gen3/4 LS3 and gen 5 LT1

My decision to go LT1 was after I had a long conversation with Nick at RW-ENG.COM who has built a business around the manufacture of parts for these type of conversions and had no commercial interest either way.

He told me that the LS3 was soon to be obsolete and many of the professional modding companies were changing or had already changed to the LT1/8L90 platform. On the basis that this was going to take me a least two years (possibly 3) I didn’t want to spend this time, to find, at the end that I produced something fantastic but with old hat tech with the market having moved to the LT1.

Also more HP and torque, more importantly more torque was available much lower down the rev range, which should make for better drivability.

After moving from the Manual trans I considered the 6/8/10 speed autos, the 6 speed had been very popular but would now be considered old tech (imho) the 8 speed was getting some good reviews and seemed to be the recommendation of builders stateside, the 10 speed seemed to be used in a few high spec builds but did have some negative press around reliability.

There are plenty of providers in the states that will build an engine/trans/electronics package to your spec, I chose Turnkey because they had provided a lot of packages specifically for Defenders.

Co1 wrote:
Finally (sorry!) how have you found dealing with an American supplier as opposed to someone in the UK? Has it worked out cheaper?

I've found the whole experience with all suppliers (UK and US) very disappointing with emails ignored and telephone calls not returned the only companies to have been responsive are Futuranet and On-air Suspension. You will have to chase the US suppliers if you want any info, Turnkey have still not responded to an email from 6 weeks ago.

My decision to buy from the states was an easy one as none of the UK suppliers had any stock and could not tell me when they would. But even if there was stock in the UK I'd probably go with Turnkey as I had more confidence that they knew defenders and provided a 500+ HP turnkey solution.

I really don’t mind talking about costs as this will be useful info to anyone thinking of doing this conversion. The turnkey package was £17K with another £4K of duty and VAT. When I look at everything Turnkey provided which I would have still needed to buy (O2 sensors, Fuel PR, Adapters, tap shifter, exhaust headers, etc etc...) I feel the difference in cost would be around the £1-1.5k mark, a saving easily spent by buying wrong parts.

I'm not sure what your plans are for chassis (renew or reuse) but what ever you do mounts will need some serious reasearch, I'm still not 100% confident that this package will fit with my mounting arrangeemnt, but I'll soon find out

Thanks for your interest and I hope this answers some of your questions.

Paul
Post #908738 21st Jun 2021 9:55am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Fascinating thread, great work and great sharing of information! Bow down I can only dream but still thoroughly interesting to follow. Thumbs Up Bow down James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #908746 21st Jun 2021 10:40am
Co1

Thanks Paul, that’s great detail. I’m planning on using my chassis as it’s in good condition. I am a competent enough welder to be able to fit new engine mounts etc. Given that I’m about 24 months away from doing this it sounds like the LT1 is the way to go and I’ll just be able to get Martin to remake everything he has already made for you!

My big problem will be timescales. I can’t afford to have the defender off the road for an extended period and as I’ll be renting workshop space time will be money, so I’ll need everything ready to go. I’ll definitely be picking your brains again nearer the time.

Thanks again. All the best. Thumbs Up
Post #908770 21st Jun 2021 12:50pm
mrfirepro

Question about water leaks......

I have no defender experience but can see from reading this forum there are considerable issues with water ingress.

As I'm assembling everything from scratch are there any particular areas I should focus on perhaps common areas/problems or even mods that I should consider...???

any help or advice is appreciated.
Post #909137 23rd Jun 2021 5:29pm
Co1

There is a manual for this I believe! It might actually be Land Rover issue.
Post #909163 23rd Jun 2021 6:57pm
Pacha

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Post #909165 23rd Jun 2021 7:00pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Here's the manual... Rolling with laughter

Click image to enlarge
 James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #909175 23rd Jun 2021 8:25pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
mine was built on a Friday and they forgot the water leaks, 10years old and as dry as a bone, didnt even add a leak under warranty when the windscreen frame was removed and resprayed for corrosion DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #909188 23rd Jun 2021 9:13pm
mrfirepro

WOW I knew it was bad but is there any bit the doesnt leak...Guess I'll have to park it in the garage and not drive it in the rain..... Rolling with laughter
Post #909204 23rd Jun 2021 10:08pm
mrfirepro

From the start there are two items of the build I'm nervous about, the electronics and mounting the engine/trans/TC

Well at least I can tick one of these off, putting this lot in was plain sailing (when I got the mounts the right way round that was Big Cry ) It appears that the TC is in the stock position as well, just need to check my original measurements when I can dig them out.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Been a bit of a struggle getting info and finding all the parts I needed for the mounts and a lack of instructions from any of the suppliers didn’t help much, but managed to figure it out eventually. I'll post up the part numbers and pictures in my next post
Post #909725 27th Jun 2021 11:55pm
Defendermatt

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 Other SW Bonatti Grey
mrfirepro wrote:

Decided to replace the steering column shaft upper and lower bearings.

Click image to enlarge

I've found a new lower bearing but can't find a new upper needle bearing, any ideas....

Did you find an upper bearing? Could you share the part numbers for both upper and lower bearings? Mine are shot! 1989 90 4.3 V8
2012 L405 OF
2014 D4 HSE Lux (SOLD)
2015 90 HT (SOLD)
@d9o.mf
Post #910935 6th Jul 2021 8:35am
mrfirepro

Hi Matt,

lots of info here you will find useful and answers to your questions

https://landroverfaq.com/viewtopic.php?t=5861

In the end I stripped down both steering columns I had.

The top bearing is a Nadella Deltaflex DG100, both of the ones I took out were dry as anything, these are easy to take apart and regrease the end result was good. Once cleaned, regreased and reassembled they were like new. There is a hole on the outside of the outer shaft, which makes a mark on the rubber, this is really useful when getting the re-assembly right

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Thankfully the lower bearing from by donor was in excellent shape so I used that in the end, but all the dims are in the info above, I'm confident that it would be quite easy to find a replacement.

Click image to enlarge

Let me know if you need anything else
Post #910955 6th Jul 2021 10:05am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 18 of 38 <123 ... 171819 ... 363738>