Home > My Defender > Puma to LT1/8L90 Restomod
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 38 <123 ... 363738>
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
bankz5152 wrote:
Likeomg wrote:
I was promised a 350hp, 600nm engine... think that's substantially more than a td5?

My td5s 230bhp and 530nm. Bigger airbox and theres scope for ALOT more. So no not worth it, if you doing an engine swap go bigger.

I think that only makes sense if you're starting with a TD5. If you're starting point is a Puma then there's no point back dating it to a TD5 when something like the M57 is available. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #867820 16th Nov 2020 11:13pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Likeomg wrote:
I was promised a 350hp, 600nm engine... think that's substantially more than a td5?

Sounds about right. A properly remapped m57 can make 300 bhp 700nm. Spend a bit on upgraded turbo, injectors, fuel pump etc and you can get 400+ bhp 800+ nm. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #867824 16th Nov 2020 11:35pm
mcma1

The go to LS variant is the 430hp with plenty of support and kits ready to go. My plan on my current swap is get something dependable and cut no corners, that's what eats up the ££££. Then add the supercharger when i have run out of ideas. Andy

2014 Fuji 110 SW LS3
https://www.defender2.net/forum/post751233.html#751233

2014 Corris 110 SW
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40056.html

My old Xtech 90 build..
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic15681.html

LS3 V8 build...
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic49051.html
Post #867843 17th Nov 2020 7:31am
mrfirepro

United Kingdom 1996 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Bonatti Grey
Hi Andy,

Was looking at the LS376/525 as on the surface seems like a little more bang for your buck. I am assuming all LS3 engines are the same in all other respects. Whats your advice on the best suppliers I should look at?
Post #867887 17th Nov 2020 12:51pm
mcma1

The cam in the 480 and 525 is designed for high revs and from the research I did they can be a pain to keep running in the defender, cutting out etc. I just used Partsworld performance in the UK for the engine, front accessory kit etc as they have them in stock but the gearbox 6L80E had to come from PCS in the states. They basically have developed a transmission map which Twisted etc now use. The PCS harness takes care connecting up the gear selector etc and then you have the GM loom/ecu which also taps into the dash. After that its really just what LT230 adaptor you will need depending on the transmission and prop shafts and thats you connected to the axles. They can over heat so on this one I have ordered the larger twin fan radiator and then the 2 smaller oil coolers, one for the trans and one for the engine. I will keep my thread up to date as there are a lot of guys keen on learning more about the install. Personally I want it for floating around, towing the jet skis, one arm out the window and some tunes on the radio which is why i go auto Andy

2014 Fuji 110 SW LS3

2014 Corris 110 SW

My old Xtech 90 build..

LS3 V8 build...
Post #867895 17th Nov 2020 1:30pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
bankz5152 wrote:
M57s arnt worth it imo, barely more piwer than a tuned Td5.

Well that's just plane wrong I'm afraid.
Post #868006 18th Nov 2020 2:01am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Shroppy wrote:

Personally, I've opted for the 4.6 Rover V8 primarily because I dropped on a new one very cheap but also because most parts are 'factory' and they're comfortably capable of 300bhp .

300hp from a n/a 4.6 RV8 is not likely cheap or easy. Plenty might claim this, only to see more like 26-280 on a dyno IMO. although that would still make a Defender fly.
Post #868007 18th Nov 2020 2:03am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Philip wrote:
LS is the obvious swap answer, it’s the proven choice - nothing else has the parts and knowledge backup, they’re cheap, common, compact, light etc (and they’re not all 600 bhp).

Cheap and common in the UK.... Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Post #868008 18th Nov 2020 2:04am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Re: Puma to LS3 Restomod
mrfirepro wrote:
Hi all,

I've been lurking here for some time, a couple of years ago a bought a N reg defender 90. I've really enjoyed owning it. I'm about to finish my last project (1991 Lotus carlton resto) and been thinking about my next project.

I've decided I'd like a full blown restomod...

LS3 (525 BHP)
T56 Magnum (I like manuals)
Air suspension
Big Brakes
Uprated drive chain
Interior
ICE

The works

This leads to two problems..

1. I dont know anything about Defenders
2. Don't really want to lose the use of my Defender

Hopefully you guys will help me with 1 and today I bought a 2007 Puma to solve item 2.

It's still very much early days and the project is still in the planning stage. I'm open to any advice at all, particularly not knowing anything about Defenders. I apolagise in advance for my silly questions, hopefully I'll learn quickly.

I've spent days reading through threads on LS3 builds but would be particularly interested in any buuild threads or other resources you think I should see or any general advice.

I'll post updates as soon as I'm more concrete on the build, but for now I intend to start stripping down the Puma when it gets here at some stage next week.

I'll post up some pics as soon as the Puma arrives.

How are you going to resto mod something that isn't old enough??? Anyhooo

LS sounds like an awesome swap. Although I honestly don't think 525hp would be all that usable in a 90 if I'm honest. And certainly not on UK roads.

Happy to be proven wrong.

I've got an LS V8 in a Camaro. And in a lower state of tune. It is arguably too quick for UK roads. But at least the Camaro is stable and capable at high speeds. Which I doubt would ever be true for a SWB Defender.

LS swaps also seem to be hugely expensive to achieve. And I'd think to make it fully usable, you'd need to upgrade everything. Although I see little point in ICE or interior upgrades. NVH will always be Censored due to the simple fact the body is made from loads of panels bolted together, which ultimately are bolted metal to metal on the chassis.

No amount of £££££££ will solve this fundamental bit of design. Plus leather pimped up seats just look gash and completely tastless in a Defender.

For me, the biggest issue with the LS is gearbox choice. There are options for Automatics, but these are just boring IMO and totally blunt the fun factor of such a setup.

A manual is where it is at. But I've never really seen anything that works. Not saying it isn't out there.Marks Adaptors do an R380 to LS adaptor. But I should think it the R380 has a life span of mins with such an engine.

If you end up changing the axles, gearbox, transfer box, engine, suspension etc etc. You have to ask, how much Land Rover is actually left.

I would also suspect strictly speaking you would also likely end up on a Q plate. As the vehicle would loose it's ID and need an IVA.

However, if you do know of a good solution to running a manual box on the LS and retaining the LT230. I'd love to know.
Post #868009 18th Nov 2020 2:17am
100inch

Australia 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Santorini Black
Fun police alert Laughing
Personally I would stay away from an LS in a 90 unless it is a pure competition/HC off roader setup. One of your main issues will be rear prop shaft length depending gearbox- transferbox setup and I am not sure the high HP will suit the 90. I got an LS (actually L98) and Rover V8 JE 5.2 Defender and despite their very different setup I think the Rv8 suits the car better for everyday use. I would look for a engine around the 300bhp (not American HP) with a great torque line, don't care about pub talk and enjoy a well balanced car, IMO. m
Post #868010 18th Nov 2020 3:45am
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Re: Puma to LS3 Restomod
Chicken Drumstick wrote:
mrfirepro wrote:
Hi all,

I've been lurking here for some time, a couple of years ago a bought a N reg defender 90. I've really enjoyed owning it. I'm about to finish my last project (1991 Lotus carlton resto) and been thinking about my next project.

I've decided I'd like a full blown restomod...

LS3 (525 BHP)
T56 Magnum (I like manuals)
Air suspension
Big Brakes
Uprated drive chain
Interior
ICE

The works

This leads to two problems..

1. I dont know anything about Defenders
2. Don't really want to lose the use of my Defender

Hopefully you guys will help me with 1 and today I bought a 2007 Puma to solve item 2.

It's still very much early days and the project is still in the planning stage. I'm open to any advice at all, particularly not knowing anything about Defenders. I apolagise in advance for my silly questions, hopefully I'll learn quickly.

I've spent days reading through threads on LS3 builds but would be particularly interested in any buuild threads or other resources you think I should see or any general advice.

I'll post updates as soon as I'm more concrete on the build, but for now I intend to start stripping down the Puma when it gets here at some stage next week.

I'll post up some pics as soon as the Puma arrives.

How are you going to resto mod something that isn't old enough??? Anyhooo

LS sounds like an awesome swap. Although I honestly don't think 525hp would be all that usable in a 90 if I'm honest. And certainly not on UK roads.

Happy to be proven wrong.

I've got an LS V8 in a Camaro. And in a lower state of tune. It is arguably too quick for UK roads. But at least the Camaro is stable and capable at high speeds. Which I doubt would ever be true for a SWB Defender.

LS swaps also seem to be hugely expensive to achieve. And I'd think to make it fully usable, you'd need to upgrade everything. Although I see little point in ICE or interior upgrades. NVH will always be Censored due to the simple fact the body is made from loads of panels bolted together, which ultimately are bolted metal to metal on the chassis.

No amount of £££££££ will solve this fundamental bit of design. Plus leather pimped up seats just look gash and completely tastless in a Defender.

For me, the biggest issue with the LS is gearbox choice. There are options for Automatics, but these are just boring IMO and totally blunt the fun factor of such a setup.

A manual is where it is at. But I've never really seen anything that works. Not saying it isn't out there.Marks Adaptors do an R380 to LS adaptor. But I should think it the R380 has a life span of mins with such an engine.

If you end up changing the axles, gearbox, transfer box, engine, suspension etc etc. You have to ask, how much Land Rover is actually left.

I would also suspect strictly speaking you would also likely end up on a Q plate. As the vehicle would loose it's ID and need an IVA.

However, if you do know of a good solution to running a manual box on the LS and retaining the LT230. I'd love to know.

You’ve gone to a lot of effort to Censored on another guys parade here. How about a bit of positivity and embracing the fact that we’re all into different stuff. This is a huge project to take on and this forum is generally about supporting those willing to push the boundaries.
Post #868018 18th Nov 2020 7:13am
mcma1

I was typing something similar ^.

Paul keep her lit as they say here in NI. Andy

2014 Fuji 110 SW LS3

2014 Corris 110 SW

My old Xtech 90 build..

LS3 V8 build...
Post #868019 18th Nov 2020 7:18am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I can't help with any knowledge but what a great project! I will be watching with much interest Thumbs Up Bow down

Is the LS3 going in the N reg or the Puma?

I love the LS3 90 you see YouTube drag racing. Completely stock looking on all terrains but foot down in a straight line and it rockets! For me that is what I'd want!

The other forum member to speak to about LS3 is John Fair, although not seen him about recently. 4x4 Fabrications also have a lot of experience with many engine changes for a professional opinion.

Good luck and dont let the naysayers put you off! James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #868024 18th Nov 2020 7:52am
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Gee whizz Chicken Drumstick fell out of the wrong side of bed yesterday Rolling with laughter Common theme across all his posts across the forum Laughing

Have a look at 4x4fabrication.co.uk or if you have instagram look them up on there... They've done a bunch of LS conversions and from what I could see they use the LT230 so may be able to help you out with an adapter > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind

Last edited by hank on 18th Nov 2020 9:40am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #868040 18th Nov 2020 9:35am
mrfirepro

United Kingdom 1996 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Bonatti Grey
Thanks for all the comments and support, it is much appreciated. I am really happy to hear opinions for all angles whether they match mine or not, as not knowing about defenders it's really good to hear all.

The major thing that attracts me to the Defender is the flexibilty and the endless options with good support, I've never done anything like this before and for me the fun is in the challenge of making something that is personal and unique to me.

However I also want the path of least resistance and having researched this over the last few months to me it seems like the LS3 is the most common options with lots on the road and no real horror stories (that i can find anyway).

The project vehicle is going to be the Puma

The IVA is a good point and something I've not considered. I've not seen any of these builds on Q plates so was not on my radar, I'll do some research but does anyone know the criteria.

All comments are helpful please keep them coming.
Post #868041 18th Nov 2020 9:37am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 38 <123 ... 363738>