↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Puma to LT1/8L90 Restomod
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 38 <123 4 ... 363738>
Print this entire topic · 
Defendermatt

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 Other SW Bonatti Grey
If you're set on a manual gearbox you also have the option of the 6 speed GS6-53 from a range of BMW's. Arguably a better box than the T56 and much cheaper and easier to source here in the UK. 1989 90 4.3 V8
2012 L405 OF
2014 D4 HSE Lux (SOLD)
2015 90 HT (SOLD)
@d9o.mf
Post #868053 18th Nov 2020 10:47am
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
I think it's a great project, just research the t56 before you jump onto one, im pretty sure the conversion to make it work the route I chose was 2x the gearbox price.

For me, having driven a ls3 90 in 430hp trim it made a great noise but still wasn't that fast, I did speak with twisted at length and rakeway (who helped them fit the first ls3 into that matte grey 110 with a manual) it was a 520hp truck and was a bit rough in a defender hence they now install 430 engines.

don't mind the fun police above seems to be his thing going between threads and bringing doom and gloom to everyone.
Post #868054 18th Nov 2020 10:53am
Shroppy

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 130 V8 Petrol HCPU Aintree Green
Surprised to hear that the 430bhp LS3 variant wasn't that fast? Having said that, an engine that produces peak bhp and torque at high revs isn't necessarily suited to a defender unless you're racing. Rolling with laughter (This may not be the case but seems to be the consistent complaint from friends in the performance engine world). A quick google suggests 'that' twisted 110 would do 0-60 in 6s nearly half the time it took the 50th Anniversary V8 and about as quick as my mum's JCW Mini which doesn't feel sluggish.

As for the IVA, I'd focus on keeping as many 'stock' parts as you can. There are plenty of off the shelf options for beefing up the internals of the axles from the likes of Ashcroft and a good selection of big brakes available. That way you've only really changed the engine and gearbox and haven't radically altered the axles or suspension etc. Also makes spare parts a damn site easier.

I like the idea of going manual, the only auto that I really like is the ZF 8 speed as fitted to the Golf R etc. you think you'll use the flappy paddles but in reality it changes quicker than I can. It might be worth a chat to the likes of Synchro gearboxes as I understand they do a lot with high spec stuff for challenge applications. That said, a friend of mine won a lot of hill climb events with an early (weak) LT77 behind a highly tuned RV8, he eased it through 1st and 2nd then floored it. Does mean you couldn't floor it from a standstill though which, let's be honest is part of the fun Laughing 1985 127 V8 Build Thread
Series 2 109"
Series 1 80"
Post #868063 18th Nov 2020 11:31am
muddypaws

England 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
I guess if your vehicle is light enough, its not a problem.
I used to run a 325bhp 5 litre RV8 in a Gardner Douglas Cobra which weighed 950kg.
In sympathy to the LT77,I rarely floored it from standstill though (too much tyre smoke & lack of forward motion anyway!) Richard

Defender 90 SVX
Post #868086 18th Nov 2020 12:36pm
jonny

If you have a look at the US defender forums (eg. defendersource) there's quite a bit of info about engine swaps - a lot of the old exported trucks over there end up with the diseasal engine immediately binned and a v8 dropped into place, so it might give you some inspiration.
Post #868089 18th Nov 2020 12:40pm
Philip

United Kingdom 
Chicken Drumstick wrote:
Philip wrote:
LS is the obvious swap answer, it’s the proven choice - nothing else has the parts and knowledge backup, they’re cheap, common, compact, light etc (and they’re not all 600 bhp).

Cheap and common in the UK.... Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

What a surprise, don’t let your cowboy hat fall off. A used 5.3 Vortec with its 6L80 will be a small part of the cost of a proper conversion.

Regarding prop lengths - you can keep all driveline positioning as standard.
Post #868100 18th Nov 2020 1:40pm
jerseyman

Chicken Drumstick wrote:
Shroppy wrote:

Personally, I've opted for the 4.6 Rover V8 primarily because I dropped on a new one very cheap but also because most parts are 'factory' and they're comfortably capable of 300bhp .

300hp from a n/a 4.6 RV8 is not likely cheap or easy. Plenty might claim this, only to see more like 26-280 on a dyno IMO. although that would still make a Defender fly.

This.
Post #868147 18th Nov 2020 5:41pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Re: Puma to LS3 Restomod
mrfirepro wrote:
Hi all,

I've been lurking here for some time, a couple of years ago a bought a N reg defender 90. I've really enjoyed owning it. I'm about to finish my last project (1991 Lotus carlton resto) and been thinking about my next project.

I've decided I'd like a full blown restomod...

LS3 (525 BHP)
T56 Magnum (I like manuals)
Air suspension
Big Brakes
Uprated drive chain
Interior
ICE

The works

This leads to two problems..

1. I dont know anything about Defenders
2. Don't really want to lose the use of my Defender

Hopefully you guys will help me with 1 and today I bought a 2007 Puma to solve item 2.

It's still very much early days and the project is still in the planning stage. I'm open to any advice at all, particularly not knowing anything about Defenders. I apolagise in advance for my silly questions, hopefully I'll learn quickly.

I've spent days reading through threads on LS3 builds but would be particularly interested in any buuild threads or other resources you think I should see or any general advice.

I'll post updates as soon as I'm more concrete on the build, but for now I intend to start stripping down the Puma when it gets here at some stage next week.

I'll post up some pics as soon as the Puma arrives.

Top banana, looking forward to seeing this come to life. Good luck Thumbs Up
Post #868148 18th Nov 2020 5:50pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Philip wrote:
Chicken Drumstick wrote:
Philip wrote:
LS is the obvious swap answer, it’s the proven choice - nothing else has the parts and knowledge backup, they’re cheap, common, compact, light etc (and they’re not all 600 bhp).

Cheap and common in the UK.... Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

What a surprise, don’t let your cowboy hat fall off. A used 5.3 Vortec with its 6L80 will be a small part of the cost of a proper conversion.

Regarding prop lengths - you can keep all driveline positioning as standard.

Care to post up a few links to cheap LS engines in the UK then?

BTW a stock LS4/Vortec is a LONG LONG way from a 525hp LS3.
Post #868227 19th Nov 2020 2:40am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Likeomg wrote:
I think it's a great project, just research the t56 before you jump onto one, im pretty sure the conversion to make it work the route I chose was 2x the gearbox price.

For me, having driven a ls3 90 in 430hp trim it made a great noise but still wasn't that fast, I did speak with twisted at length and rakeway (who helped them fit the first ls3 into that matte grey 110 with a manual) it was a 520hp truck and was a bit rough in a defender hence they now install 430 engines.

don't mind the fun police above seems to be his thing going between threads and bringing doom and gloom to everyone.

Either you have a completely different definition of fast. Or it was broken.
Post #868228 19th Nov 2020 2:43am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Defendermatt wrote:
If you're set on a manual gearbox you also have the option of the 6 speed GS6-53 from a range of BMW's. Arguably a better box than the T56 and much cheaper and easier to source here in the UK.

How do you fit this to the LS V8? Does anyone do a conversion kit?

Is this the ZF 6-speed box used with the M57 (and largely the same as the D3 6 speed)? Thanks.
Post #868229 19th Nov 2020 2:46am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Shroppy wrote:
Surprised to hear that the 430bhp LS3 variant wasn't that fast? Having said that, an engine that produces peak bhp and torque at high revs isn't necessarily suited to a defender unless you're racing

I struggle to conceive that it wouldn't have been rapid. Although LS engines are smooth with a flat torque curve. So they offer more of a constant surge, rather than a sudden snap your neck.

I'm not so up on the LS3. I have a 5.7 LS1. The LS1 makes peak torque @ 4400rpm. But it'll make over 95% of its peak torque from 1500rpm.

The LS3 is bigger displacement, so it has more torque than the LS1. But I'd think the delivery to be quite similar. Maybe a little more free revving at the top end. But not hugely different.
Post #868230 19th Nov 2020 2:50am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
100inch wrote:
I would look for a engine around the 300bhp (not American HP)

eh?
Post #868231 19th Nov 2020 2:51am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
mrfirepro wrote:
Thanks for all the comments and support, it is much appreciated. I am really happy to hear opinions for all angles whether they match mine or not, as not knowing about defenders it's really good to hear all.

The major thing that attracts me to the Defender is the flexibilty and the endless options with good support, I've never done anything like this before and for me the fun is in the challenge of making something that is personal and unique to me.

However I also want the path of least resistance and having researched this over the last few months to me it seems like the LS3 is the most common options with lots on the road and no real horror stories (that i can find anyway).

The project vehicle is going to be the Puma

I'm a huge fan of the LS engines. It was one of the main reasons for buying my Camaro. I'm on my 2nd one now.

If you have the money to throw at the project. Go for it. But whenever I've looked, it has been well beyond the means of my own bank balance. Big Cry

In the USA were you can rock up to a junkyard and get all the bits you'd need for $1000 it is obviously more viable. But I've heard of guys spending £20,000+ on such conversions in the UK.

Also part of me says a Jaguar AJV8 5.0 with supercharger would be keeping it more 'in house' as it were. Although these aren't easy to get working with a manual either. But you could lift and shift the entire engine and drivetrain from an RRS/FFRR into the Defender. Then just work out how to connect the axles up to the transfer box. I'm not entirely sure how Land Rover have done this with the factory ones, but it would potentially mean there are some official factory parts to support this setup.

mrfirepro wrote:

The IVA is a good point and something I've not considered. I've not seen any of these builds on Q plates so was not on my radar, I'll do some research but does anyone know the criteria.

All comments are helpful please keep them coming.

I would suggest that many of them are on the rather grey side of the regs and guidance. But as the entire process is a self declaration, the only time it'll be an issue is if the DVLA decide to prosecute you or if you are involved in a serious RTA/RTI.
Post #868232 19th Nov 2020 3:03am
100inch

Australia 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Santorini Black
Chicken Drumstick wrote:
100inch wrote:
I would look for a engine around the 300bhp (not American HP)

eh?

Google the difference between HP and BHP.....
Post #868237 19th Nov 2020 7:25am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 38 <123 4 ... 363738>