↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Puma to LT1/8L90 Restomod
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 19 of 38 <123 ... 181920 ... 363738>
Print this entire topic · 
mrfirepro

United Kingdom 1996 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Bonatti Grey
The great news is that as you can see above it all fits, however the LT230 ends up 40mm further forward.

Here are the mounting arrangements I used with the Marsland adapter chassis.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The RW's kit was straight forward however the mounting plates are installed with the countersunk holes to the bottom and the Jeep mount fixes into the holes nearest to the front, two bits of advice that would have saved me some time.
Post #911510 8th Jul 2021 9:41pm
william1987

United Arab Emirates 
hi mrfirepro. may i have your email address or whatsapp ?? we are doing same project. just my defender is 2002 td5
Post #915365 3rd Aug 2021 9:30pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
William1987 onlybif you start your own thread, would love to follow the build Thumbs Up James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #915379 3rd Aug 2021 11:23pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
I had to go back to pg9 and look at the bare chassis. So is the ‘adaptor’ chassis without engine and gearbox mounts (had missed that before). So that means all holes for engine/gearbox brackets are internally reinforced to prevent the chassis collapsing when tightening the bolts? Same like the old up to 200tdi gearbox mounts? 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #915387 4th Aug 2021 2:39am
william1987

United Arab Emirates 
thanks lot but lt230 adaptor i can not find it. rw-eng said it will take few weeks.
JOW240725 wrote:
William1987 onlybif you start your own thread, would love to follow the build Thumbs Up
Post #915405 4th Aug 2021 8:50am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mrfirepro

William - PM sent
Dinnu - The fronts are threaded holes, using a substantial reinforced plate, the rears have internal bracing. However, I'm not liking this set up that much as the space at the front is down to 140mm (ish) with masses of space behind the engine. I've been reassured by rw's and Marslands and have seen pictures of the completed jobs, but I think it could be better with more space. I've test fitted a spare bulkhead and I can move the whole lot back a max of 90mm so that the headers still clear the bulkhead. MY biggest concern is the intake tube which I'm being told must be completely straight (by speartech) if it is, it will not miss the wing.

If I move all the mounts back 90mm I'll end up welding them to the chassis. Here are some pictures which show the issues.

I'm 90% for pushing it back, my next update will show the results.

For certain there will not be any space for a fan cowl with this set up.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I also need to add a spacer to the intake so that it is square to the engine, which will take up more space.

Look at the space behind the engine

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I'm still to design this properly but by moving the engine back 90mm I think I can reuse the puma hi/lo diff lock lever mechanism, which will be a result.
Post #915407 4th Aug 2021 9:17am
Dinnu

Right, you have quite some clearance to the bulkhead.
Did you clear the steering box, or are you using a P38 box?

Seems like your transfer case is very close to the position used on 200tdi and earlier. Here is a picture of my gearbox mounts (1988 90).

Click image to enlarge
 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #915420 4th Aug 2021 10:51am
mrfirepro

They look like they are in a similar position as mine but you have the vaiables of your transmission(2wd/4wd) & TC adapter, if it ends up as the same setup as mine I'd be pushing it back and welding the mounts on so that you gain more clearance at the front. But you will also have to wrestle with the hi/lo diff lock lever if you want stock position.

No problem clearing the steering box but that will also depend on what front end your using and with/without AC, also what sump do you have.

What diff and TC ratios are you using?
Post #915459 4th Aug 2021 3:48pm
Dinnu

Owe no no.. mine is going to be stock... bog standard.... with one of the dirtiest diesel engines Embarassed
But who knows what the future brings. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #915497 4th Aug 2021 8:04pm
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
It maybe worth using 200TDI length props and moving the transfer back to 200/19J position in chassis just be carefull with bell housing to tunnel clearance
Post #915624 5th Aug 2021 1:50pm
mrfirepro

This post is just about moving the engine backwards from the position as intended by Marsland and RW's, I've asked both if there is any downside and hopefully, they will let me know their thoughts soon.

The reason for this move is the space upfront in my opinion is far too tight and as far as I can see there is mainly upside in moving the engine back 90mm.

The advantages of this as I see it are..

1. The standard Puma Hi/Lo lever can be used, and it ends up in the stock position or at least very close

Click image to enlarge

the alternative was this arrangement which I was struggling to get working, engine here is in the forward position

Click image to enlarge

2. The extra 90mm at the front will allow more room for the Intake (can now go straight to the old air box position rather than loop up over the AC compressor), fans and coolant hoses. The rad will now easily clear the PAS reservoir bracket.

Like this (not my photo, thanks to Graham at NCK motorsport for this).

Click image to enlarge

3. There is more space between the exhaust headers and the chassis rails.

There are a few downsides...

1. Custom prop shafts will be required, which I think would have happened with the engine 90mm forwards as the TC ends up not being in the stock position.

2. The headers are close to the bulkhead, I've installed a heat reflective matting to help with heat but it is still only 10-12mm from the bulkhead. I suspect I'll end up making heat shields.

Click image to enlarge

the space to the rear of the engine also looks good and the bell housing still has plenty of clearance. (Spare bulkhead not my working one)

Click image to enlarge

There have been lots of other things going on which I'll update next.

Providing there are no show stoppers from Marsland/RW's I'll weld the mounts in place over the weekend which will finally allow me to install the bulkhead.
Post #915689 5th Aug 2021 9:19pm
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
Looks much better but I cant understand looking at your picture of the tunnel and lever in position how the high low lever fits with the transfer box so far back from the tunnel?
Post #915755 6th Aug 2021 10:35am
mrfirepro

Hi Linds,

I've struggled with that question as well, and the only explanation I can come to is that my initial assessment of the TC being 40mm further forward was wrong. Looking back at the photos I can see it's clearly more than 40mm, I think it's more like 60/65mm see here using the end of the fuel pipe bracket for reference

stock position of TC

Click image to enlarge

Position of TC as per manufacturers spec

Click image to enlarge

When I moved this lot back the 90mm I thought I'd have to mess around with the linkages. I think the final position is still not stock, about 25mm further back but this means I can mount the mechanism in the stock location and using some play and a small modification it all seems to fit/work, in hindsight I could have moved the engine back 65mm, but the extra room up front is going to pay dividends later on (I hope).

Here are some before and after shot, settled on the 90mmm based on the distance from the bulkhead of the headers.

Before

Click image to enlarge

after (back 90mm from manufacturers spec)

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The only other item I have no explanation for is the diff lock linkage, I've had to shorten the linkage by around 30mm which looking at the above should have needed extending. I'm not even trying to figure this out and put it down to my lack of Defender experience.
Post #915774 6th Aug 2021 1:46pm
Philip

United Kingdom 
I haven’t seen much comment elsewhere about the RW adapters misaligning stuff - keeping everything in their original (albeit non-Puma in my case) locations was the appeal of it…
Post #915779 6th Aug 2021 2:23pm
mrfirepro

There is nothing wrong with the RW's adapters or mounts or indeed the Marsland chassis, they are designed to have the engine that far forward.

I just think it's a better solution where it is now, but I guess time will see if I end up regretting this decision. There is a considerable ammount of knowledge and experience beteen these two companies and I'm new to defenders. Fingers crossed Confused
Post #915783 6th Aug 2021 2:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 19 of 38 <123 ... 181920 ... 363738>