↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Global Retail Sales & UK Registrations up to FY2022 Q3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 10 of 15 <123 ... 91011 ... 131415>
Print this entire topic · 
SN

Pacha wrote:
JLR got battered last year.

https://twitter.com/lovecarindustry/status/1356678536216592388

Jaguar got battered NOT JLR Evil or Very Mad Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)
Post #882802 3rd Feb 2021 12:18am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Well that's the J part ~ and the I Pace did not. On loss of sales metric, it was actually a stellar performer. Not just in JLR terms but across the board.

Click image to enlarge

And when people say JLR had to chop the old Defender because it wasn't selling...

As to the LR side of the equation, these two wouldn't look out of place on the list of models that got a battering:

Discovery - 36.31% down
Velar - 33.87% down

And as they all sit on the same P&L account, then must be correct to say JLR got a battering not Jaguar. Who's to say whether some of the Jag models actually contribute more to the bottom line at present than some of the Land Rover models.?
Post #882820 3rd Feb 2021 8:20am
AndrewM

Switzerland 
Supacat wrote:
Yes that would be an easy understanding, however, I cannot reconcile the graphic with any previous statement, either made directly by JLR, or as reported. As an example:

"JLR has delivered more than 9,800 units of its Defender SUV in Q2 alone and has an order book of over 35,000 units."
https://www.livemint.com/companies/news/jl...77315.html

"JLR’s order book of just 22,000 vehicles, disclosed in its results last Monday, left analysts underwhelmed."

"Despite being configured online 1.6m times by enthusiasts, only 11,000 customer orders have been placed for the car so far, with a further 11,000 test-drive cars ordered by dealers, according to JLR’s annual results."

https://www.ft.com/content/c90cc60e-9bd3-4d9c-8a0c-0fcedfe8426c

Latest article (Jan 29) in the FT:

"The much-heralded Defender, launched last year with a slightly delayed rollout because of the pandemic, outsold the Jaguar saloons in the quarter, and was fast approaching the combined total of Jaguar’s sport utility vehicle sales for the quarter."

https://www.ft.com/content/e27c49b6-d13f-48b1-b35e-e69c61229817 (will have a paywall)
Post #882835 3rd Feb 2021 9:12am
Supacat

Meanwhile, in Rome:

Click image to enlarge

"Jaguar's classics department will make eight more of the C-Type racing car that was originally produced from 1951 to 1953.

The C-Type continuation cars will allow historic motor sports enthusiasts to purchase a factory-built example of the 1953 disc-brake-equipped C-type directly from Jaguar for the first time, the company said in a release. They will be hand-built at Jaguar Land Rover's Classic Works facility in Coventry, England.

The C-Type was renowned for its cartoon-like body, designed by artist Malcolm Sayer. It won the prestigious 24 Hours of Le Mans race at its debut in 1951, scoring the first of seven outright wins for Jaguar at that series.

The vehicle carried pioneering innovative disc brake technology in a revolutionary system developed by Jaguar and Dunlop.

In 1952, famous racer Stirling Moss won the Reims Grand Prix in France using the same system. The C-type won the 24 Hours of Le Mans again in 1953.

Each example of an upcoming C-Type will reflect the specifications of the 1953 Le Mans-winning car, including a 220-hp, 3.4-liter inline-six engine with triple Weber 40DCO3 carburetors and disc brakes.

Additional options include an FIA-approved harness-style seatbelt, since the C-type continuations will be eligible for--and expected at--historic racing and track days.

Some C-Type continuations are still available for sale, according to a Jaguar spokesperson. Usually they sell out even before their public announcement.

An online configuration tool allows prospective buyers to compare color and trim options from 12 exterior colors and eight interior colors available, as well as apply optional racing roundels and steering wheel badge and hood badging. Pricing is expected to start around $1.3 million.

Jaguar started developing Jaguar Lightweight E-Type and Jaguar XKSS continuation cars in 2014. The automaker began building D-Type continuations in 2018.

The success of the continuation as a business model remains uncontested, though Jaguar and Aston Martin both consistently decline to specify revenue or profit margins.

At the time of the D-Type launch, Tim Hannig, the director of Jaguar Land Rover Classic, said the continuations are not wildly lucrative but "do make the company money."

Virtually each continuation series offered from Aston Martin and Jaguar has sold out before its official announcement, even when pricing can range from the high six figures to more than $2 million.

The consensus among collectors of the originals seems to be that continuation pieces do not nudge their value one way or the other. Jaguar has earned a reputation for making careful, exact continuations in extremely low batches, which helps preserve the value of the originals.

Of the 53 Jaguar C-type sports cars built in the 1950s, 43 were sold to private owners.

"There was a lot of concern when we did the first lightweight E-Type [in 2014]--that it might deteriorate values--but the other way around happened," Hannig said. "Suddenly, people were talking about these cars. It promoted the car in its own right. It allows us in a different way to communicate about the past and show what we have as heritage."

https://www.autonews.com/cars-concepts/jag...0-readmore
Post #882861 3rd Feb 2021 10:32am
AndrewM

Switzerland 
Lovely things, though I'm not really sure whether I agree with these continuations.

I had a good chat with Tim Hannig (I didn't know that he was the Director of JLR Classic) at an event here in St. Moritz at the end of Feb 20. The Classic team brought a series of very special cars and were driving them around the frozen lake. There was a lot of love for these special cars, the Classic team were a lovely bunch of people and seeing the cars in action, up close and talking to owners was special.

Anyway here are a couple of photos that I took:

Click image to enlarge

Post #882864 3rd Feb 2021 10:40am
Supacat

And now the LR part:

Click image to enlarge

Car Industry Analysis (@lovecarindustry) Tweeted:

The #LandRoverDefender and a moderate sales drop posted by #RangeRoverEvoque, helped #LandRover to reduce the global sales drop last year. They now need to introduce the new generations #RangeRover and #RangeRoverSport in order to grow again

https://t.co/QtIzpLLBPo https://twitter.com/lovecarindustry/status...05280?s=20
Post #883140 4th Feb 2021 1:38pm
Supacat

LR top of the table:

Click image to enlarge

Car Industry Analysis (@lovecarindustry) Tweeted:

2020 results: off-roads were the only ones to grow (+50%), thanks to the new #LandRoverDefender https://t.co/38YtMj1K4F https://twitter.com/lovecarindustry/status...76993?s=20

Curious that so many were registered in 2020 ~ dealer/experience/management cars?
Post #883169 4th Feb 2021 3:01pm
umbertob

United States 
https://www.autocarpro.in/news-internation...hand-78422

Quote:
Land Rover Defender clocks monthly sales of 5,000 units, 14,000 bookings in hand
PASSENGER VEHICLES
By Shahkar Abidi 04 Feb 2021

The Land Rover Defender has crossed a monthly run rate of 5,000 units and has an order book of over 14,000 units. Cumulatively, it means that nearly three months of sales are already accounted for.

Sales of the Land Rover Defender grew 66 percent to 16,286 units quarter on quarter in Q3 FY2021. This performance was mostly on the back of favourable sales mix, cost performance and partial reversal of prior period reserves for emissions and residual values. Also, the company’s management recently informed investors that JLR will be ramping up its EV portfolio which currently accounts for nearly 53 percent of sales. Out of the total, about 12 percent are BEVs and PHEVs.

JLR sees recovery in sales
The Tata Motors-owned Jaguar Land Rover saw significant improvement in Q3 retail sales, up 13.1 percent at 128,469 vehicles compared to Q2 but still 9 percent lower than pre-Covid levels a year ago. Sales in China, one of its key markets, were up 20 percent sequentially. Most other regions also witnessed a sequential recovery though still below prior year.

Jaguar Land Rover remains encouraged by the Brexit trade deal agreed in December between the UK and the European Union. This has avoided the risk of tariffs on automotive parts and finished vehicles, although there will still be increased customs administration requirements.

Offering an outlook for the future, the company continues to expect to generate strong EBIT margins and positive free cash flow in Q4 FY2021 despite the external challenges. It targets achieving positive free cash flow in subsequent years, reducing net debt and increasing financial resilience.

Recently appointed Jaguar Land Rover Chief Executive Officer, Thierry Bolloré said, “Looking ahead, these challenges continue, including the Covid pandemic and its impact on the global economy, the UK’s new trading relationship with the EU and the significant technological changes taking place in the automotive industry. In this environment, I’m working with my management team on plans to realise an exciting future for Jaguar Land Rover, which I look forward to sharing in due course.”
 2020 NAS Defender 110 HSE 5-seater / Silver / Khaki / Black Pack / Black Roof / Satin Film / Cold Pack / Off-Road Pack / Advanced OR Pack / Comfort + Convenience Pack / Sirius + HD radio / HUD / Meridian Surround
Post #883252 4th Feb 2021 9:58pm
Supacat

That seems badly written.

"The Land Rover Defender has crossed a monthly run rate of 5,000 units and has an order book of over 14,000 units. Cumulatively, it means that nearly three months of sales are already accounted for."

December was @6,000 units, so the order book of just over 14k is closer to 2 months than three.

And then to state Defender sales "performance was mostly on the back of favourable sales mix, cost performance and partial reversal of prior period reserves for emissions and residual values." is clearly a nonsense ~ it looks to be cut & pasted from a JLR summary about the whole company's financial performance.
Post #883281 5th Feb 2021 7:03am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Supacat wrote:

Discovery - 36.31% down
Velar - 33.87% down

I'd be interested in knowing how many of these 'lost' sales for these two models, translate into sales for the New Defender. I'd suspect quite a few, but I wonder if it reaches 'the majority'. So whilst the New Defender has achieved 'x' number of sales, how many actual new sales has LR seen because of the new Defender. Buyers who are not Oval Badge fans, who've never owned any model and have been poached from direct competitors, although I'm still unsure as to exactly who the competition is and which models. Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #883292 5th Feb 2021 8:23am
AndrewM

Switzerland 
I can only share my experience. I am new to the brand, coming from BMW (340i xDrive touring). In the end the choice was between a Defender or a FFRR, both with the same p400e engine.

I don't know about the Velar though almost all cars lose sales as they go through their lifecycle. The Discovery, at least here in Switzerland has been a minority product for some time. They sold 70 in 2020. As a comparison the Lamborghini Urus sold 121 and the Ferrari F8 sold 73. It seems a very confused product and I don't know who it's for.

This winter the hotel closest to the house was running a long wheelbase RR and a Defender as customer transport cars, alongside 2 Rolls Royce Phantoms.

EDIT: Swiss Defender sales last year were 314 though obviously not a full year. A better comparison is probably the Mercedes G class where sales were 557. The only LR product to sell more than that was the Evoque (629)

Last edited by AndrewM on 5th Feb 2021 11:27am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #883302 5th Feb 2021 9:10am
The_hog

Iceland 
My two cents: I´m a first time buyer, coming from a Porsche Macan diesel. Have a P400e on order. Very frustrated as I had been allocated a slot of build on February 05. - and delivery on March 05. But two weeks ago these dates vanished into thin air at my dealer´s - no explanation from JLR - NADA!!!
Post #883326 5th Feb 2021 11:13am
LRSpain004

Spain 
Obviously folks in Switzerland can afford a new Defender, and good for them. Here is Spain and many EU countries they are simply unaffordable. My local dealer still has his 90K launch model from June and has sold zero. LR sold seven in Jan and twelve Discovery's, hardly a sustainable business plan for dealers. My brother lives in Denmark and they are 175,000 EU... seriously, how many can afford that? One member in NL on the forum paid 46K EU in taxes on his Defender! Most of those EU sales listed will be UK and Germany. Taxes are killing or have killed sales of large SUV's in the EU.

Last edited by LRSpain004 on 5th Feb 2021 11:49am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #883329 5th Feb 2021 11:20am
Philip

United Kingdom 
Look at the French malus - €40k on top of every Defender but the PHEV, and a potential weight tax coming too.
Post #883332 5th Feb 2021 11:28am
Supacat

LRSpain004 wrote:
Most of those EU sales listed will be UK and Germany. Taxes are killing or have killed sales of large SUV's in the EU.

2020 results: E-SUV registrations fell by “only” 8% in Europe to 230,100 units & D-SUV total regs fell 14% to 502k units in Europe.

So plenty of sales going somewhere.
Post #883361 5th Feb 2021 1:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 10 of 15 <123 ... 91011 ... 131415>