↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > There's a More Affordable Version Coming in 2022
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
There's a More Affordable Version Coming in 2022
Can't Afford The New Defender? There's a More Affordable Version Coming in 2022: https://drivetribe.com/p/cant-afford-the-n...2HGFt9ERGg

Quote:
The recently revived Land Rover Defender boasts a varied lineup with numerous different body styles, the 110, 90 and 130 however the iconic name comes at a high price. The base version of the SUV is around US$50,000. The goods news is however that Land Rover has decided to create a far more affordable addition to the lineup that will be called the Land Rover 80.

The Land Rover Defender has received mixed reactions. Some criticized the looks and compared it to the Honda Element. Others said that the revival would not be as rugged as the old one and wouldn't be as suitable for tasks such as farming. And others bashed the price. The Defender was made to be capable of offroading and also taking the kids to school and other everyday tasks. The idea was not simply to revive the old design.

The 80 should hopefully be able to solve some of these problems. It will be Land Rover's entry into the compact SUV market. That market includes cars like the Mercedes-Benz GLA, the BMW X1 and the Audi Q3.

The name “80”, like the other versions, references the wheelbases of the original Defender. The 80 is planned to be a five-door 4x4 and will most likely be the competitor to the Jeep Wrangler and Ford's newly revived Bronco. The design will be based on the new and old Defender. The 80 will most likely be built alongside the car made by Tata (the owners of Jaguar Land Rover) for the Indian market: the Tata Harrier. Land Rover may use their Ingenium and 3-cylinder engines. The 80 will almost definitely come with a hybrid version and may have an all-electric variation as well.

The 80 is meant to have a more rugged interior than the current Defender, the interior of which, compared to the old Defender, looks like Trump's penthouse. This along with the smaller price tag means the 80 will be more suitable for off road driving. The current Defender is good at off-roading but who is going to take their $50,000+ SUV off the beaten path?

Jaguar Land Rover needs a car that is simple and rugged that will sell in large numbers right now to give them a much-needed financial boost despite a large amount of recent cost-cutting.

The 80 should cost around US$30,000 if indeed the 80 makes it to the North American market which has not yet been confirmed. Hopefully, the Land Rover 80 will be able to satisfy both the classic Defender fans and those who just want a fun SUV that they can go to the shops in..
 --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #826131 18th Apr 2020 7:38am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I have an ominous feeling this will come with a transverse engine, no low range and a Haldex 4x4. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #826137 18th Apr 2020 7:54am
ibexman

United Kingdom 
I’m thinking maybe JLR are back peddling and new defender is a bit too expensive for the working mans pocket 🤔
Post #826138 18th Apr 2020 8:03am
RDR

United Kingdom 
just re read it, its contradictory - cheaper more rugged competition for the wrangler or LR's entry into the compact SUV market against the merc GLA etc.? oh and the RR evoque??? 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #826143 18th Apr 2020 8:44am
Tim in Scotland

Land Rover 80 was shown in Autocar about 4 months ago.......... I’m sure I posted the page from the magazine on the forum the day the mag hit the news stands, price was predicted then to start around £30000

EDIT - Autocar item is here https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic70000.html Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #826146 18th Apr 2020 8:54am
diduan

Bulgaria 
Why should all experiments at JLR carry the Defender name? What is next ... Defender Coupe Cabriolet?

JLR will never reach Wrangler unless they go back to the drawing board...preferebly with new chief designer. Defender 110 SW MY2011 2.4tdci decat, no EGR
Jeep Wrangler YJ 1990 4.0. Front 78' Dana 60, Rear CUCV 14 bolt
Post #826154 18th Apr 2020 9:35am
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Yep, old news. Tim has added a link to the Autocar article.

The 80 will be based on the Evoque platform, in the same way the 90 / 110 are on the Discovery platform.
So no hope for low range gears.

As for a "Coupe Cabriolet" the Coupe version is also mentioned in the same Autocar article. Laughing

Click image to enlarge
Post #826157 18th Apr 2020 9:49am
milesr3

2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
Re: There's a More Affordable Version Coming in 2022
Quote:
Jaguar Land Rover needs a car that is simple and rugged that will sell in large numbers right now to give them a much-needed financial boost despite a large amount of recent cost-cutting.

I don't believe this - it would be a strategic U-turn from selling "Premium 4x4 Vehicles & Luxury SUVs".

DSC-off wrote:

The 80 will be based on the Evoque platform

Another pimped Freelander2? I bought a <1yr old Freelander2 in 2008 for £16K. It was very capable.

Last edited by milesr3 on 18th Apr 2020 11:19am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #826158 18th Apr 2020 9:53am
RDR

United Kingdom 
The cabriolet i could see doing well and some logic in it for the Defender there has always been soft tops available in the defender line up. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
Post #826160 18th Apr 2020 9:56am
RDR

United Kingdom 
Im sure i read somewhere the Du7 Xtreme platform had been designed to be shorter or longer than the 90,110 & 130 currently planned. Hopefully that means they could use that rather than the evoque/DS platform and create something the size of the jimmy with it? 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
Post #826161 18th Apr 2020 10:00am
Morepower

New Zealand 
Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Two years away.... They need a cheap practical volume seller now... After the massive economic downturn this horrible corona virus is going to leave us in... The market for luxury 4x4's is going to be tiny.... Luckily LR have such a vehicle in their line up already.... Oh hang on... They don't.... It doesn't matter how bad it is, It can always get worse...

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
2016 Bowler 90 Rally Spec (Sold)
Post #826164 18th Apr 2020 10:06am
Northworthy

The Freelander 2 V2 was a very capable off roader with its Haldex 4 transmission even without a low ratio gear box. And, it was most certainly the most reliably built LR to date and LR’s best seller. That Freelander went to almost 95% of the off-road places the Discovery 1-4 range did in their day in any weather conditions in capable experienced off roader hands.

So transplant just its size/ load capacity onto the Du7x 80 platform. Strip out the later FL2’s somewhat “towny” plush trim and you start to get to a point where, obviously minus the current Design Chief, both the head of LR engineering and a wiser interior designer could offer the public a terrific £20 to £30k utility class beating 4x4 i.e. a sales champion.

And build it in Halewood where there was great pride in the Freelander and not in some foreign field.

Dump the DS. Discovery’s should be large capacity vehicles. And build D6 alongside new Defender. LR will need both those models in that vast Nitra plant just to keep the line ticking over after D5’s almost total rejection by the global car buying public. I cannot understand how a Head of Design can keep his job with such a design fiasco on his watch.
Post #826174 18th Apr 2020 11:00am
seriesonenut

United Kingdom 
Wise words Northworthy. Lets hope some common sense takes over at the top before it is too late. Neutral 2010 XS USW
1957 Series One 88 diesel
1958 Series One 88 4x2
Post #826175 18th Apr 2020 11:08am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
It's not surprising the head of design keeps his job. There are hundreds of firms out there who have people at high level in the business, who the plebs below look up to and think 'How the hell does that idiot keep his job?'

A lot of it is down to talking the right talk in meetings and keep biging themselves up. The other issue is there is a Total loss of face for the rest of the directors who have, up till now, been singing their praises.

JLR. Another poorly managed behemoth who if they are not careful will go the same way as Rover. If they think they are bullet proof, they're delusional.

The world post Covid-19 will be a cruel one, and only the fittest leanest best managed companies with good products will survive. That doesn't seem to tick any boxes at JLR does it?
Post #826177 18th Apr 2020 11:18am
Northworthy

Indeed Rashers, however, I would not be surprised if C19’s pandemic will industrially create a different corporate governance environment to that which many corporations presently tolerate.

Recently there have been changes in management within JLR (a process not complete) and it is known that all is not in unison across different tiers and disciplines right to the very top. A new broom comes in soon. Allied to having to deal with the above there’s a radically changed global economy. At the core of many of the tasks to be done is design direction, brand differentiation, and leadership roles. Mister G is not standing on granite anymore; more like quick sand.

Jaguar is the basket case with no model performing viably. Its sales volumes are unsustainable and a major overhaul of the business is project number 1. At Land Rover the problem is about creating clarity and distinction between model ranges between it and Range Rover i.e. two distinct companies offerings not a blancmange of recipes with the same outcomes. And presenting greater consumer value. Value determined by a composite of vehicle abilities, cabin features, quality, warranty, and price.

Expect to see huge changes at JLR for it will not be as we know it now.
Post #826187 18th Apr 2020 11:50am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>