↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > There's a More Affordable Version Coming in 2022
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Print this entire topic · 
Morepower

New Zealand 
Thanks for the correction Supacat.... Just read somewhere that it was built and designed in conjunction with an outside manufacturer....
But that then begs the question of why no "Defender" PHEV or BEV??? From launch??? It doesn't matter how bad it is, It can always get worse...

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
2016 Bowler 90 Rally Spec (Sold)
Post #826881 21st Apr 2020 8:16pm
Tim in Scotland

The I-Pace Electric drive train is from Magna Steyr in Austria and AFAIK the actual car is assembled in Holland also There are already two PHEV’s in the Land Rover stable - RRS and FFRR which have the 2.ltr 4 cylinder petrol engine and a battery system/ electric power good for 25 miles real world range (claimed is 31 miles) and supposed to be joined by Evoque and Disco Sport PHEVs in June that use a 3 cylinder 1.5ltr ICE but there is no data yet on pure electric range Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #826892 21st Apr 2020 8:39pm
J77

Scotland 
Disco Sport/Evoque PHEV have went on sale today, I wonder how far away the Defender variant will be?
Post #827002 22nd Apr 2020 11:17am
Tim in Scotland

They took 4 years to develope according to Autocar so not much hope for the Defender PHEV coming too soon and also they use a 15Kw battery good for 41 miles pure electric range ( so that will be around 26-30 in the mid-winter if you are lucky) and a 1.5ltr 3 Cylinder turbo petrol which won’t be powerful enough to haul along a Defender 110. Interesting that in the blurb in Autocar LR claims that the New Evoque and DS PHEVs are a) faster than the purely ICE versions and that b) they claim that the two PHEVs are better offroad............ with 150kgs minimum extra weight over the ICE versions it will be interesting to see how they handle deep mud............
If JLR has managed to engineer their 3 Cylinder Ingenium to be as quiet and smooth as the BMW triple in my Countryman they will have really achieved something because the Mini’s triple1.5 has NO vibrations or harshness until you are really hammering it and it has a lovely gruff exhaust note when you do that too - most of the time it is very very hard to tell if the car is running on purely petrol or electricity from an NVH point of view - subtle difference in acceleration though if you are only using the 87hp electric motor on its own! But when the two engines are running together up to this year the PHEV was faster accelerating than the pre-facelift JCW Countryman! Since they retuned the JCW’s 2litre petrol though it is about 0.5secs faster 0-60 than the PHEV!

Here is todays Autocar item about the PHEV’s

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 22nd Apr 2020 1:00pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #827008 22nd Apr 2020 11:40am
J77

Scotland 
I think we’ll probably see the D5 hybrid first, which has been spotted testing, as it needs all the help it can get.
Post #827013 22nd Apr 2020 12:08pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
will be interesting if the D5 does go PHEV and not just MHEV my dealer said he doesn't think they will do a plug in D5 it will be a hybrid offering through migrating to the MHEV engines in the facelift. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #827016 22nd Apr 2020 12:55pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Tim in Scotland wrote:
The I-Pace Electric drive train is from Magna Steyr in Austria and AFAIK the actual car is assembled in Holland

Read a few articles, and they all state differently, indeed this is taken from their own website:

"Magna has been awarded with multiple new vehicle programs for BMW and JLR and an extension of the Mercedes-Benz G-Class. At the moment the Mercedes-Benz G-Class, the conventional and the hybrid version of the BMW 5 series, the BMW Z4, the Jaguar E-PACE and the Jaguar I-PACE electric vehicle, and the Toyota GR Supra are manufactured at the Magna Steyr plant in Graz."

https://www.magna.com/company/company-info...ts-figures

And powertrains:

"Jaguar I‑PACE is propelled by two permanent magnet synchronous electric motors. Similar to the technology found in the Jaguar I‑TYPE Formula E racing car, these motors generate 400PS and 696Nm of torque."
https://www.jaguar.co.uk/jaguar-range/i-pace/index.html

"For the motor, Ziebart’s initial intention was to buy it from a supplier, because after all, JLR “had no electric motor department.” It turns out, it did. JLR engineer Dr. Alex Michaelides “developed an ingenious concentric electric motor. It’s not the cheapest, but it is the lightest, most compact motor you can imagine,” Ziebart said."

“The development of our own battery management system, and especially its software, was very important to us,” he said. “We did that completely in-house. The core know-how of an EV is the battery management system, and we keep that to ourselves.”
https://www.forbes.com/sites/bertelschmitt...-says-why/
Post #827017 22nd Apr 2020 1:24pm
milesr3

2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
J77 wrote:
Disco Sport/Evoque PHEV have went on sale today, I wonder how far away the Defender variant will be?

I wonder why it isn't available as a P400e (300PS 2l i4 petrol plus 85kW motor and 13kWh battery)?

But then I also wonder why you can't have the SDV6 engine...
Post #827039 22nd Apr 2020 4:39pm
Tim in Scotland

Could it be
A) Huge weight of the New Defender + battery pack would severely limit electric range using the P400e set up. Also if you read the configurator LR doesn’t mention the lower spec P400e’s as having low range, only AWD, only the very very expensive Dynamic badged RRS models get the low range transfer case and full on 4WD High and Low range system.
B) To give the range the battery pack would have to be bigger = more weight = not enough power from the 4 cylinder engine for proper offroad use - remember few RRS/FFRR actually go off road so that isn’t really a factor in sales of those cars but the New Defender is set to appeal more to adventurous people.... Low ratios and transfer case are expected.
C) No SDv6 because of the new EU7 emissions rules probably mean it cannot comply With the reduced emissions requirements, hence RRS/FFRR are moving over to the Ingenium straight 6 with the forthcoming new versions and the 4.4 SDv8 is disappearing from the ranges. SDv6 is also a Ford/PSA engine and JLR have come to the end of their agreement to take those engines from Ford and want to do their own thing. There must also be some effect of the spun bearings/ SDv6 engine failures that JLR don’t want to blight their nice new car’s sales even though instances of the issue have now all but disappeared.

BUT it might work with the new battery pack developed for the New Evoque and New Discovery Sport PHEVs and a higher output 6 cylinder engine if they can be made to fit. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #827139 23rd Apr 2020 9:33am
zilch

Australia 
On the Aussie LR site under meet the defender family, power trains, it states the P400e will be introduced to the Defender
family in late 2020

Click image to enlarge
 yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #827181 23rd Apr 2020 1:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345