↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > There's a More Affordable Version Coming in 2022
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
J77

Scotland 
Morepower wrote:
Unfortunately J77, JLR have done themselves no favours of late.... Not listening to what customers wanted with the new Defender... (obviously the failed D5 project forced them in this direction, Although again... Listen to what your customers want!!!!, Hence the flop that is the D5, Yes you see a few of them on the road these days, But they are heavily discounted to get them out the door)... Quality is another big issue... The brand 'Thinks' it's a premium product... However in reality this is far from the truth... I have been on the receiving end of this many times personally....My boss at Yamaha, Bought a new RRSport... It broke down on the way home from the dealer and then the tailgate started to disintegrate over the last month... rattling and the electrics are starting to prove unreliable.... He was shocked to find it's all cheap plastics.... Which on a 100K motor is a joke....
Post lockdown will be the tell all... the factories will be closed for another month yet... So that's supposedly going to cost them a billion pounds.....

I’m aware LR haven’t helped themselves but for me they still have products I like and my overall experience with the brand has been positive, I’ve had issues but I’m lucky enough to have a good dealer that’s had them fixed pretty quick. I’ve looked at other brands, mainly Volvo and BMW but none of them really impressed me, least of all BMW.
Post #826337 19th Apr 2020 9:51am
zilch

Australia 
blackwolf wrote:
I think that the USP of the Landrover brand was the old Defender and its predecessors, and now that it's gone there is no USP except for a very tenuous link by name only the past.

Range Rover and Discovery has had a significant brand impact over the last 25-30+ years for LR.. in particular in global markets.. Whilst the original series LR put the foundations in, the other models have moved the
company forward.. yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #826342 19th Apr 2020 10:01am
Morepower

New Zealand 
Here's a good take on it Zilch.... This guy always makes me laugh

&t=668s

Enjoy!! It doesn't matter how bad it is, It can always get worse...

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
2016 Bowler 90 Rally Spec (Sold)
Post #826345 19th Apr 2020 10:38am
J77

Scotland 
Yeah I’ve seen that, not sure what he’s an expert in to be honest.
Post #826347 19th Apr 2020 10:49am
zilch

Australia 
Laughing Tons of pro Tojo / anti LR bias in Oz, mostly in the big lift, big tyre modifier brigade.. Rolling Eyes yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #826349 19th Apr 2020 10:51am
zilch

Australia 
Morepower wrote:

Enjoy!!

I remember he said buy a Mazda, who in Oz have a class action against them for engine problems Wink
some expert Laughing agree with J77 yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #826358 19th Apr 2020 11:17am
Morepower

New Zealand 
@J77.... Off the website...

If you're wondering what qualifies me to do this, I have a degree in mechanical engineering, and I've been a reporter for the past 25 years - reporting on the car industry, automotive consumer issues, and reviewing cars, in print, online, and on radio and TV.

If LR have issued that document relating to their issues with the ingenium engine.... It should make most people stop and think seriously about buying a LR product... I have had a fairly similar experience with dealing directly with LR.... and can personally vouch for the companies utter contempt of the customer... It doesn't matter how bad it is, It can always get worse...

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
Post #826359 19th Apr 2020 11:21am
J77

Scotland 
Been running an ingenium engine for the last two years, albeit the D240, with no issues. Got its first service in January there.

I had oil dilution issues with my D5 3.0 engine, which is how I ended up with the Velar, mine was the single turbo TD6 which has now been dropped in favour of the twin turbo SDV6. No idea why LR chose single turbo in the first place.
Post #826362 19th Apr 2020 11:40am
zilch

Australia 
Sorry to say Morepower I believe all manufacturers hold their owners in contempt to some degree to protect
themselves. The Australian Govt regulator and owners are pursuing Mazda, Nissan never owned up to the
3.0 TDI engine failure issue, GU Patrols got the nickname Hand Grenades, Toyota V8’s failing..

I think you can put the majority of them in that bucket. I know it’s no consolation
when you are personally impacted.. yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #826364 19th Apr 2020 11:48am
Morepower

New Zealand 
Possibly true in todays world Zilch.... Everybody will have personal experiences either good or bad... I'm lucky, I've run various Fiat/Alfa/Lancia products for many years, And tbh... had very good experience with service and reliability... I know go figure eh.... TBF to Alfa, When the 166's wiper system tied itself in knots they were bang on with everything... (Which I know not to be the case normally)
Believe you me, I hope the new products are good... However.. All I'm trying to do is show a balanced idea of general LR ownership... Many people will look on this site before parting with their hard earned cash (I know I did, I knew the Defender was going to rust, leak and generally be a cantankerous old nail... People on here said so)....
Did it put me off... No.... But it was nice to be informed..... So people should be aware that there are some serious engine issues with the ingenium motor... Especially if used for short journeys... Like say pottering around town (which seems to be the Defenders new target audience) It doesn't matter how bad it is, It can always get worse...

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
Post #826367 19th Apr 2020 12:07pm
J77

Scotland 
Basically they don’t make them like they used to or in LRs case they do, they still breakdown Laughing
Post #826372 19th Apr 2020 12:55pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
zilch wrote:
Morepower wrote:

Enjoy!!

I remember he said buy a Mazda, who in Oz have a class action against them for engine problems Wink
some expert Laughing agree with J77

Well his style of presentation and language may be a little annoying, but I put that down to just being an Australian Whistle ; however, the nub of his argument has some real truths... oil dilution, spun bearings along with other issues.
Post #826411 19th Apr 2020 4:20pm
zilch

Australia 
do not disagree SC, but from my experience all manufacturers waive a lot of their responsibility once
you drive off the forecourt, LR, Mazda, Toyota, Nissan, all have or had their issues in some form and not
covered themselves in glory on dealing with it.. Mazda are facing the same Oil dilution problem on a
number of models and its taking a class action to try and get some focus on it.. as you say LR have
been woeful at dealing with the issue, one reason why i decided to get Petrol this time around..

As for the Aussie attitude and style in terms of delivery, totally agree Thumbs Up i think my signature below
should give you an idea of my nationality Laughing Whistle I am what the aussies classify as a Censored "Pom" Very Happy yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY10 3.0 RR Sport

Last edited by zilch on 20th Apr 2020 2:42am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #826491 20th Apr 2020 2:27am
zilch

Australia 
Morepower wrote:
Possibly true in todays world Zilch.... Everybody will have personal experiences either good or bad... I'm lucky, I've run various Fiat/Alfa/Lancia products for many years,

Alfa have had a resurgence in popularity in Australia, in particular the Guilieta, Giulia and Stelvio models, and some
favourable feedback in terms of reliability, which may have been unheard of a few years back in terms of UK market
perception of the brand.. however the Aussies like them yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #826492 20th Apr 2020 2:37am
Ecco

Malaysia 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Galway Green
...that journalist was a bit annoying, which doesnt mean that certain things presented were not valid...as for this JLR mutant which is not either defender or disco or RR , i can say only one thing, i have mentioned before..its not going to make a dime for JLR..this crisis will probably add to that a lot, but regardless , its 'flat spin' down from day one..
Post #826533 20th Apr 2020 9:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>