↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Brexit.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 14 of 15 <123 ... 131415>
Print this entire topic · 
Merlin

United Kingdom 
Can someone explain why, if The Isle of Man has never been in the EEC or the EU and hasn't a hard border why are we all worried about Northern Ireland?

Peter
Post #756496 5th Feb 2019 1:42pm
Greadh

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Quote:
Can someone explain why, if The Isle of Man has never been in the EEC or the EU and hasn't a hard border why are we all worried about Northern Ireland?

Who says there isn't a hard boarder? where are the people coming from?

IOM is part of the Common Travel Area, which removes much of the need for passport etc. in general all the people visiting the IOM will have passed through the UK/Republic Island already and passport and immigration is dealt with there, due to the common travel area they dont need a futher check in IOM. I think there might be an exception to this is for visitors to IOM travelling from Dublin they are still required to present themselves and passport to immigration control (but not 100% sure on this)
Post #756518 5th Feb 2019 4:17pm
nitram17

Joe the Plumber wrote:
I struggle to understand how democracy will be served by ignoring the result of a democratic referendum. If we had to vote again on everything once we were a few years down the line and knew a bit more, we'd never do anything.

But my opinion on an internet forum is completely unimportant, so I'll stick to a bit of plumbing and enjoying using my van!

Your right about the unimportant thing its all jibber jabberbut its what citizens (sorry subjects )do when stuff matters!Its not ignoring democracy by having more democracy in such an important issue..i waswatching the tv on the vote night when nigel thought he had lost was he going to accept the vote and put away his toys and start maintaining his hedge .....hell no! he was immediatly challenge the result in the courts .

I know this is going to fall on deaf ears but the vote was won by 2.1% ill say that again 2.1%. to change our countries destiny on 2.1%margin is maddness...When if you had the vote the following week whos to say the margin would be reversed.I guess the reason you dont want another vote is because of fey notions of destroying democracy but the cold hard truth that the public are now more informed and you lack the conviction of your message and think you would lose the vote! But your right nothing we do or say as individuals makes a jot of difference individually .......Has the price of solder gone up yet ? Laughing
Post #756576 5th Feb 2019 8:06pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
I suppose all of this is so contentious because of the very narrow margin that swung us to leave. If the margin had been the other way, things would have carried on, you can call me Dave would still be in charge and we would be millions / billions better off already, due to not wasting the money all of this sh*t has caused.

Having another vote as suggested above every few years I think is called a general election, where false promises are made, outright lies are told and the media go into overdrive for a few months, but at least we can swap back in 5 years time.

There have been a few loaded and a couple of independant polls done, the sponsored ones show exactly what the sponsors wanted, the others just on ageing population - new voters attaining the vote and the older ones shuffling off this mortal existance would probably swing it the other way, if we had another vote now that would be democracy in action wouldn't it?

Mrs May is on an ego trip to be the PM in history who obeyed the people and pulled the UK out of the EU for good or bad, if she offers another vote and if we vote to remain, all her hard work over the last two years will be in vain and she wont even be a footnote in history.
Post #756593 5th Feb 2019 9:08pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
ickie, I agree with all that you say, except your last para with respect to the P.M.
I don't think she's on any "ego trip" at all. She was "dropped in at the deep end", and none of the issues that she faces are of her making. Replacing her, as some have suggested, including that lunatic Corbyn, would make absolutely no difference, and jeez, I really feel for you guys if Corbyn does ever get the job.
I'm no expert on Brexit, but I certainly would attach none of the current "confusion" to the P.M. In fact, I reckon she is displaying huge internal fortitude simply by staying in the job, where many would simply feel, "I don't need this" & resign. A very solid lady, IMHO.
Pickles.
Post #756615 5th Feb 2019 10:07pm
nitram17

ickle wrote:
I suppose all of this is so contentious because of the very narrow margin that swung us to leave. If the margin had been the other way, things would have carried on, you can call me Dave would still be in charge and we would be millions / billions better off already, due to not wasting the money all of this sh*t has caused.

Having another vote as suggested above every few years I think is called a general election, where false promises are made, outright lies are told and the media go into overdrive for a few months, but at least we can swap back in 5 years time.

There have been a few loaded and a couple of independant polls done, the sponsored ones show exactly what the sponsors wanted, the others just on ageing population - new voters attaining the vote and the older ones shuffling off this mortal existance would probably swing it the other way, if we had another vote now that would be democracy in action wouldn't it?

Mrs May is on an ego trip to be the PM in history who obeyed the people and pulled the UK out of the EU for good or bad, if she offers another vote and if we vote to remain, all her hard work over the last two years will be in vain and she wont even be a footnote in history.

To be honest its CM Dave's fault the vote should of had a % threshold figure needed to win by to change our destiny .i would of said 60%......then we would of had a clear mandate to change ............
Post #756680 6th Feb 2019 8:23am
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Nitram, you hit the nail on the head there. In such important matters swinging the outcome by even 1 single vote is outright ridiculous. 60% or even 2/3 majority would have been more reasonable for something like this.
Eric You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw
Post #756681 6th Feb 2019 8:41am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Yes, but if there would have been 500 votes in favour of the other way all would have been tickety boo.
I also fail to see why Gibraltar was given the vote too seeing as it’s not mainland U.K.
Why - to boost numbers.

As I said Dave to thank for it all, he had such a big head he thought it was in the bag. Bizarrely calling the Indi Ref was the only good thing he ever did IMHO.

Frankly if it’d been handled correctly in the first place I doubt it would have happened. But allowing “free flow” to arrive hear then go around blowing people up was never going to happen. And it just so happens as a country we were also far too lax and had to bring back our own capabilities to the forefront. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #756707 6th Feb 2019 11:48am
Slideywindows

England 
I'm not going to enter in to this Brexit debate any more as it is pointless, but attacking Mrs May personally says a lot about those who don't like the referendum result.

If we had a "referendum" on who should be Prime Minister at the moment, with the choices: Theresa May, Jeremy Corbyn, Vince Cable, Boris Johnson, Jacob Rees-Mogg - or another politician, I wonder just how large Mrs May's majority would be?

And whether the Remainers would accept the result? Laughing
Post #756716 6th Feb 2019 12:59pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
I never said she has done a bad job, what she’s negotiated is a compromise which is probably all we can expect when the country is so divided, but she fought for the job as pm to take the country out come hell or high water and she is on an ego trip.
Post #756732 6th Feb 2019 2:42pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Pickles wrote:
ickie, I agree with all that you say, except your last para with respect to the P.M.
I don't think she's on any "ego trip" at all. She was "dropped in at the deep end", and none of the issues that she faces are of her making. Replacing her, as some have suggested, including that lunatic Corbyn, would make absolutely no difference, and jeez, I really feel for you guys if Corbyn does ever get the job.
I'm no expert on Brexit, but I certainly would attach none of the current "confusion" to the P.M. In fact, I reckon she is displaying huge internal fortitude simply by staying in the job, where many would simply feel, "I don't need this" & resign. A very solid lady, IMHO.
Pickles.

/\ I agree Thumbs Up

...and that Corbyn geezer. I remember some interview with him when he was asked about the police being armed......he suggested that might be dangerous. forgive me but isn't the whole idea of a gun is for it to be dangerous?
flamin nutter. and that woman he hangs around with that thought the police knocking bandits off mopeds was a bad idea Evil or Very Mad
if Corbyn had an ounce of sense he'd get one of them 'dangerous' guns and shoot her Mr. Green
Post #756737 6th Feb 2019 2:57pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
ickle wrote:
I never said she has done a bad job, what she’s negotiated is a compromise which is probably all we can expect when the country is so divided, but she fought for the job as pm to take the country out come hell or high water and she is on an ego trip.

No, that’s just her doing the job that the country voted for! She didn’t wake up one day and say “if I become pm I’ll make the uk leave the eu” we voted for it to happen. Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #756843 6th Feb 2019 8:38pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Unless the country gets another vote (there is no way I am getting involved in that discussion) we are all passengers on the Brexit Rollercoaster with Theresa May and the European Parliament as the brake men. There is nothing any of us can do so we will just have to keep sitting down, keep are legs and arms inside the train and sit back and enjoy (🤪) the ride. I can understand all views (well almost!) on this discussion. I do feel that everyone was duped and our political leaders of all persuasions and flavours have truly let us down. They have all been ecenomical with the truth and in some cases blatantly lied to try and up their causes.
Post #756859 6th Feb 2019 9:22pm
Chopperone

United Kingdom 
I am more concerned as to whether my continental quilt will still work after 29th March.
Guy Very Happy May your life be like toilet paper ; long & useful.
Post #757065 7th Feb 2019 4:20pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Rolling with laughter
Post #757069 7th Feb 2019 4:38pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 14 of 15 <123 ... 131415>