↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > 2020 Defender main discussion thread
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 277 of 351 <123 ... 276277278 ... 349350351>
Print this entire topic · 
J77

Scotland 
I’ll be putting seat covers on so I’m not too concerned.
Post #853191 30th Aug 2020 8:51pm
J77

Scotland 
I suppose in true defender fashion that dent should’ve been left alone

Click image to enlarge
Post #853297 31st Aug 2020 9:45am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
A review from Bahrain, with some off-road driving

--
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #853311 31st Aug 2020 10:39am
Tim in Scotland

That’s a nice video - interesting for a Gulf States model he didn’t comment on how efficient or otherwise that the a.c. is - it’s fine for UK with the two zone system but August in Bahrain I think 2 zone would struggle. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #853343 31st Aug 2020 1:42pm
JackW

United States 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Coniston Green
I'm really encouraged by the above video - its one of the few I've seen putting the P300 through its paces. Its performance climbing up the sand hill looked really good. I feel the P300 might be a real sweet spot in the Defender lineup without the complication and expense of the P400 with a minor trade off in ultimate performance. The lower gearing in the differentials should be an advantage in off road situations - I like being able to just putt along in second gear low range in my current D90 Tdi and was hoping the new vehicle would be able to duplicate its performance. It looks like it might do that pretty well - I hate the commercials where everybody feels like they need to show their vehicle tearing through the landscape, throwing big waves of mud and tearing huge ruts in the earth. That's not how you responsibly practice the Tread Lightly school of off road driving. Just sitting back, steering and letting the vehicle plod along calmly and quietly getting the job done - thats how a proper Land Rover does it.

I should know in a few weeks when my new P300 110 arrives.
Post #853484 31st Aug 2020 11:26pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Tim in Scotland wrote:
That’s a nice video - interesting for a Gulf States model he didn’t comment on how efficient or otherwise that the a.c. is - it’s fine for UK with the two zone system but August in Bahrain I think 2 zone would struggle.

Maybe draw a partial conclusion from his sweat soaked T shirt.?

Click image to enlarge
Post #853502 1st Sep 2020 7:25am
Supacat

JackW wrote:
I hate the commercials where everybody feels like they need to show their vehicle tearing through the landscape, throwing big waves of mud and tearing huge ruts in the earth. That's not how you responsibly practice the Tread Lightly school of off road driving. Just sitting back, steering and letting the vehicle plod along calmly and quietly getting the job done - thats how a proper Land Rover does it.

Totally agree, but it seems that's a school of thought JLR have moved away from?
Post #853503 1st Sep 2020 7:27am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
^ which I also don't understand, because with the modern LRs, you need to be even SLOWER when going off-road, due to lack of driver visibility & ground cleanrance, and width of the vehicle Rolling Eyes --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #853506 1st Sep 2020 7:33am
Tim in Scotland

After the unveiling of DC100 I was surveyed by a company working for LR on my opinions of that vehicle and what I wanted to see in a Defender type vehicle. I responded that I didn’t want a car that was any longer, wider or heavier than old Defender and that electronics should be kept to the essentials ............. I guess my customer clinic answer sheet was thrown in the bin as soon as they saw those views...... I actually had positive views on the DC100 too Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #853518 1st Sep 2020 8:38am
Supacat

But it could be said that they knew what you wanted better than yourself?
Post #853526 1st Sep 2020 9:00am
Tim in Scotland

I suppose being impractical is something the new 90 gets from the old - you can carry a small load OR have 2 passengers in the back but you cannot do both at the same time. So I have a 110 that is way bigger than I really need that can carry some passengers in comfort AND carry my offroad recovery gear boxes at the same time but is so wide it cannot get to many places I was previously able to go offroad where there are lots of closely planted trees........ so now I have 2 Defenders to cover all bases. Maybe there was some method in the design of the new one............ to create a need for the old ones. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #853531 1st Sep 2020 9:14am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Tim in Scotland wrote:
After the unveiling of DC100 I was surveyed by a company working for LR on my opinions of that vehicle and what I wanted to see in a Defender type vehicle. I responded that I didn’t want a car that was any longer, wider or heavier than old Defender and that electronics should be kept to the essentials ............. I guess my customer clinic answer sheet was thrown in the bin as soon as they saw those views...... I actually had positive views on the DC100 too

The cynic in me thinks that ALL responses would have been binned and the exercise was only done so that JLR could truthfully say that they had done a survey.

I know of several people who were surveyed (and indeed I was myself), all were current owners of Landrover vehicles (not necessarily Defenders), but not a single one that I know of gave answers that would have resulted in the New Defender. It makes me think that the trajectory of (r)evolution had already been set, and the survey was a means to provide apparent legitimacy.
Post #853541 1st Sep 2020 10:39am
J77

Scotland 
Surveys are a waste of time, they are just a tick box excersise.
Post #853573 1st Sep 2020 12:35pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Early days yet but anyone who has bought the new Defender or indeed spent time in it seems to be impressed with it. There are some exceptions to this of course. Fair enough there are some what I see as unforgivable lapses in quality control with the simple things like trim fitting and windows leaking but the new vehicle seems to be slowly inching it's way up the slope of acceptability among former Defender owners.
Me I am still in the Puma camp as I think it is a great vehicle and the new one does not appeal to me not just in the aesthetics area but other areas aswell. If JLR had produced a more traditional off roader it is highly unlikely that I would have bought one of those either as I am happy with the Puma. Each version of the vehicle will have it's strong points but it will be interesting to read on this forum in four or five years time how the new vehicle is standing up both on and off road wise. It will be interesting to see if JLR's switch from the traditional chassis shod model will have implications for panels etc when it has been battered about off road for an extended period.
Wonder when we will see the first youtube video of the INEOS Grenadier off roading in the company of the new Defender?
Interesting times ahead. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #853629 1st Sep 2020 5:15pm
Tim in Scotland

Better Classic Defender versus Grenadier as they are so similar, mind you a 4.4 V8 twin turbo Grenadier will blow any Defender into the weeds.......... I wonder if there will ever be an Alpina Grenadier......... Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #853633 1st Sep 2020 5:30pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 277 of 351 <123 ... 276277278 ... 349350351>