Print this entire topic · 
G4UJS

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
Defender 1
Pretender 0
Post #834955 3rd Jun 2020 12:39pm
zilch

Australia 
As naks points out, a D4 or RRS would stroll it, it did not look overly challenging or technical from what
you can make out on the vid.. yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #834957 3rd Jun 2020 12:41pm
Chawks

United Kingdom 
Finally seen one in the flesh today at the Christchurch dealership. I actually like the look of it , I only looked around the outside as it was locked. There us one in the showroom but didn't fancy going through the sales pitch with the staff just to have a nose around it.

This one had cloth interior and looked quite basic inside but nice and spacious, boot space didn't look particularly large. There was a original 90 Defender behind which looked taller than the new one, you cannot compare the old for new as they are entirely different beasts. My father said it looks like a beefed up mini from the side but front view was good. I wasn't keen in the big silver section on the rear, should be black like the other trim. It's definitely not a work truck- I'll keep my Jap pick up for that! For a family car, tow your caravan, chuck the dogs in, go across a field for shooting - ideal.
Would I buy one? Probably but in 3 years or so.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #834960 3rd Jun 2020 12:56pm
J77

Scotland 
zilch wrote:
As naks points out, a D4 or RRS would stroll it, it did not look overly challenging or technical from what
you can make out on the vid..

Selective filming, would’ve liked to see a few go up.
Post #834965 3rd Jun 2020 1:05pm
Ecco

Malaysia 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Galway Green
Quote:

You means like all those PR campaign crap videos from Namibia and what not?? Lol haha, its ok man..you like it and thats perfectly fine...i trully wish you plenty of safe and wonderful km's, once you get yours....its just a bit weird to see you trying to fill up every tiny bit of opposing thoughts from official narrative.. Laughing
Post #834973 3rd Jun 2020 1:31pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Saw my first ones today. The one in front is a D240 S and the one behind a First Edition. There was a third in the showroom and they all looked very shiny.

Click image to enlarge

Also behind mine was a late 110 USW on for just under £40k. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #834974 3rd Jun 2020 1:39pm
spudfan

Ireland 
I suppose regarding the video, the new version of the Defender has so much technology that people who will be driving it will assume it is a point and go situation. The old version of the Defender necessitated the driver to engage his/her brain first. The advertising for the new vehicle implies that with all the technology in the car all the driver has to do is to select the right program and then sit back, relax and the vehicle will do the rest.
The old Defender necessitated driver awareness at all times. No doubt in the hands of a seasoned off road driver the new version will perform wonders but that driver will also be aware that there are limitations and driver input will be needed to compliment the technology. Sadly the majority of these new vehicles will be sold to people who in an ideal world should not be let within shouting distance of an off road vehicle. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #834977 3rd Jun 2020 1:55pm
J77

Scotland 
Ecco wrote:
Quote:

You means like all those PR campaign crap videos from Namibia and what not?? Lol haha, its ok man..you like it and thats perfectly fine...i trully wish you plenty of safe and wonderful km's, once you get yours....its just a bit weird to see you trying to fill up every tiny bit of opposing thoughts from official narrative.. Laughing

Isn’t that how discussion and debate works? Various views and opinions?

You don’t like it that’s fine, understand perfectly why members don’t and I’ve never denied them the right to voice their opinions or they are wrong for having those.
Post #834978 3rd Jun 2020 2:00pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Naks wrote:
https://youtu.be/mxU8ognQSUE

So I hope he doesn't give up the day job.

Sits in the rear seats to do a review and then says:

"We've got a window that I imagine goes all the way down"

FFS Mad
Post #834979 3rd Jun 2020 2:09pm
zilch

Australia 
spudfan wrote:
I suppose regarding the video, the new version of the Defender has so much technology that people who will be driving it will assume it is a point and go situation. The old version of the Defender necessitated the driver to engage his/her brain first. The advertising for the new vehicle implies that with all the technology in the car all the driver has to do is to select the right program and then sit back, relax and the vehicle will do the rest.
The old Defender necessitated driver awareness at all times. No doubt in the hands of a seasoned off road driver the new version will perform wonders but that driver will also be aware that there are limitations and driver input will be needed to compliment the technology. Sadly the majority of these new vehicles will be sold to people who in an ideal world should not be let within shouting distance of an off road vehicle.

Very well put, My local LR dealer use to sponsor membership of off road clubs which provided respective training Days
to owners on the capabilities and limitations of their new purchases, including recovery etc, it is now limited to joining an experience day which is hardly as engaging or beneficial to a newbie yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #834980 3rd Jun 2020 2:14pm
J77

Scotland 
spudfan wrote:
The old Defender necessitated driver awareness at all times. No doubt in the hands of a seasoned off road driver the new version will perform wonders but that driver will also be aware that there are limitations and driver input will be needed to compliment the technology. Sadly the majority of these new vehicles will be sold to people who in an ideal world should not be let within shouting distance of an off road vehicle.

Thumbs Up Spot on.
Post #834982 3rd Jun 2020 2:24pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Naks wrote:
Finally, some proper off-roading with a direct comparison between old & new Defender, although the driver does not seem to know what he's doing...

Clearly the driver is new to off-roading, and it also doesn't seem like that 110 has the rear e-diff. He also clearly doesn't know how to get the TC to work properly.

But even without the rear e-diff, it shouldn't have gotten stuck so much.

I would have walked that hill in my D4 and RRS

I thought the screen at the beginning showed both rear and centre diffs locked?

I certainly thought I saw some funny behaviour.

On the first section it looked at point the rear axle was driving the vehicle forward whilst the front (at least the front left we could see) was locked and so slid.

Then on the second climb, I thought I could see the front axle rotating at a greater speed than the rear?

I think it would have made better progress if the bloke in front didn't keep stopping him.

Sorry ~ but I did laugh when all those plastic bits fell off Embarassed
Post #834983 3rd Jun 2020 2:24pm
J77

Scotland 
I don’t know what was better the fact that someone has just smashed up a brand new car or the guys face as he was looking at the pieces.

Can’t be sure but looked like he took a different route up than the grey one and the old 110?
Post #834988 3rd Jun 2020 2:45pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Do you think he was trying to take the route negotiated by the 90? Thinking if an old 90 could do it, then he would have no trouble with his technological off road masterpiece?
Post #834997 3rd Jun 2020 3:52pm
J77

Scotland 
I think so, because it looked like the rest went around apart from the 90.
Post #835000 3rd Jun 2020 3:56pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 192 of 351 <123 ... 191192193 ... 349350351>