↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > 2020 Defender main discussion thread
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 182 of 351 <123 ... 181182183 ... 349350351>
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

According to Autocar the V8 is a very limited run and will have the last of the 5.0ltr S/Cs and that JLR has stockpiled then - sort like a Final Edition rather than a First Edition! Next FFRR and next RRS will get the BMW V8 from what I have read as they will be engineered for it. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #830740 12th May 2020 7:00pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Hi Tim, have you got a link to the Autocar article?
It seems strange to fit an "old" V8 engine in the Defender, going to the trouble of engineering it, getting it tested and certified, when there is a new engine coming along soon.
Post #830845 13th May 2020 11:35am
Tim in Scotland

Two items from last week’s issue - I get the magazine electronically so they are screenshots

1st V8 Defender

Click image to enlarge

2nd An onroad test of the D240 S model

Click image to enlarge
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 14th May 2020 6:20am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #830879 13th May 2020 1:55pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
DSC-off wrote:
Hi Tim, have you got a link to the Autocar article?
It seems strange to fit an "old" V8 engine in the Defender, going to the trouble of engineering it, getting it tested and certified, when there is a new engine coming along soon.

Google it Thumbs Up 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #830981 14th May 2020 12:33am
Tim in Scotland

I’ve managed to get it uploaded this morning so you don’t need to google the V8 item! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #830986 14th May 2020 6:21am
DSC-off

Thanks Tim.
Google did work the second time.

There's a lot of supposition in the article that suggests Autocar don't know which engine will be used. So they spun a story that it could be either one. Wink

Although the use of the 4.4-litre V8 has yet to be officially confirmed by JLR, Autocar understands that it’s merely a formality.
It’s plausible that the 5.0-litre engine is being used primarily to test the Defender’s dynamic responses with the weight and power increases.
However, Autocar understands the V8 Defender is intended as a low-volume special variant rather than a series-production mainstay. Land Rover may well be stockpiling the Ford-built V8 for use in the Defender, because emissions targets are much less of a priority for low-volume specials.
Post #831009 14th May 2020 9:47am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
Its a 10yr old engine now. What other new cars use an engine that is 10 years old?
Post #831025 14th May 2020 11:45am
DSC-off

Discovery Sport 2015MY, 2.2 diesel.

In my opinion the Defender will get the new BMW V8.
Post #831037 14th May 2020 1:29pm
zilch

Australia 
a link to a very short write up by autoexpress UK on the P400

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/land-rover/d...020-review yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #831322 16th May 2020 12:38am
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Defender heroes: the people behind Land Rover's definitive 4x4

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/feature...nitive-4x4 WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #831335 16th May 2020 8:00am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
New Land Rover Defender P400 2020 review: https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/land-rover/d...020-review

"Verdict

Petrol or diesel? Difficult decision. On this short experience of the new P400 with its mild-hybrid tech, it ups the fun level even further – and the diesel is already very enjoyable. Most people will be tempted by the extra economy and lower prices of the diesel models, especially given the huge cost of the P400 Defender X. They’d be making the right decision, although this car shows the promise that an even hotter Defender might just offer in the future. ...

Our first drive of the long-awaited new Land Rover Defender didn’t disappoint – it resulted in a full five- star rating. What surprised us most was how much fun the car was to drive – and that was the diesel-engined model. So how does the Defender do with petrol power under its square bonnet?

Until Jaguar Land Rover’s Special Vehicle Operations division gets their hands on the Defender, this P400 model is as fast as the new car will get. It’s also as electrified as the Defender gets, too, at least until plug-in hybrid versions eventually arrive. This all-new six-cylinder petrol engine gets mild-hybrid tech to boost response, power and efficiency – slightly.

With a 3.0-litre twin-scroll turbo, plus a 48-volt electric supercharger with a belt-integrated starter motor in place of the alternator, power tops out at 395bhp with a tasty 550Nm of torque. That equates to a 0-60mph time of 6.1 seconds.

The on-board 48-volt lithium-ion battery feeds the whole electrical system and gets topped up as the car slows down, while also helping to reduce fuel consumption; the P400’s best claimed average of 25.2mpg isn’t too far off the diesel’s 31.7mpg.

It’s more fun to drive, too. The throttle response is noticeably sharper – helped by the mild-hybrid system – which makes the Land Rover feel even more lively, while acceleration is accompanied by a tuneful note from the six-cylinder engine.

There are no gearchange paddles behind the steering wheel – a deliberate decision by the engineering team that didn’t feel it was in keeping with the Defender spirit. However, the stubby gearlever can be used to manually shift through the ZF auto box’s eight ratios. Left to its own devices, changes are barely noticeable save for the slight shift in tone of the engine note.

The tighter responses of the petrol engine make the Defender feel even more alert on the road. The monocoque body is incredibly stiff, enabling engineers to tune the car-like double-wishbone front and integral link rear suspension for a rare combination – for such a 4x4 – of off and on-road ability.

Air suspension is standard, as are Adaptive Dynamics, which combine to not only raise the car for extreme off-roading and lower it for easier access, but also react super-swiftly when driving on tarmac.

That means that this near two-metre-tall SUV handles more like a car than a 4x4; it stays largely flat and unflustered when cornering. The ride is pretty much unchanged from the diesel version – communicative rather than uncomfortable – while levels of grip are impressively high. The steering is surprisingly reactive; again, unusual for a 4x4.

The only other downside to the P400 model is that, currently at least, it’s only available as a top-spec Defender X, although the car in our pictures is in SE trim. It has pretty much every option box ticked and all for a sizeable £79,655. That’s nearly £35,000 more than the Defender 110’s starting price and only a few thousand less than the cheapest Range Rover." --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #831336 16th May 2020 8:15am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Zed wrote:
Defender heroes: the people behind Land Rover's definitive 4x4

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/feature...nitive-4x4

Well that's a fluff piece if I ever saw one.

Total lack of journalistic integrity in referring to the JLR 5* all expenses paid safari trip to Namibia as "in some of the toughest third-party testing ever conducted". 🙈

Not the interior I'd want to show with a tag line "And I'm responsible for this":

Click image to enlarge

Amazed at this quote:

Rob Atkins - chief engineer, vehicle engineering "he’s proud of two particular decisions: the use of bigger tyres to raise the Defender’s driving position and improve its off-road traction.

Seriously, chief engineer, vehicle engineering and his big achievement is bigger tyres ~ or is he confused and actually just means bigger wheels?
Post #831338 16th May 2020 8:24am
pbhawkin

Australia 
Thankfully, as I refuse to turn off Shocked my adblocker for these news/magazine sites, I don't have to read the drivel they put out as journalism, nor be bombarded by their 'targeted' advertisements. Thanks Naks and Supacat for posting some relevant content though. Thumbs Up
Post #831343 16th May 2020 8:49am
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Thought that would tickle you Supercat. It was the "bigger tyres" revelation that did it for me. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #831347 16th May 2020 8:55am
RDR

United Kingdom 
Its total cringe when you read some of the press on this, I know how hard it is working with media and comms teams as a technical person you produce a fit and accurate statement then it goes through the media sausage machine and you read it in print and your made to look like a complete numpty. If these were words directly quoted by an engineer i would be concerned.

The comments on the X are in line with what I was expecting nice drive but not the sensible option. I'm still aiming for one when my dealer gets back on it Laughing 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #831355 16th May 2020 9:20am
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 182 of 351 <123 ... 181182183 ... 349350351>