↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > 2020 Defender main discussion thread
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 130 of 351 <123 ... 129130131 ... 349350351>
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Or it was just more convenient? Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #802797 19th Nov 2019 2:02pm
J77

Scotland 
nicam wrote:

What is the weight limit on those side mounted access ladders???? He obviously trusts the tyre more!

I believe it’s 150kg
Post #802799 19th Nov 2019 2:11pm
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I’ve seen it in the flesh.

Pros
Seats are super comfortable especially in the rear.
Steering wheel is great
Seems a great place to go with a group skiing in France
Camera rear view mirror is ace gives fantastic rear vision.
Free bar served nice beer

Cons
Too pricey for me at 60k for model shown
Dash seems simple but fussy
Outside feels plastic
Rear lights are odd
Electric tow bar seems a little Censored
Feels overpriced for what it is

I’ve been sticking up for the new defender but really have lost interest.
Post #802847 19th Nov 2019 7:38pm
SteveT247

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
I had a look around one today too, it's not for me.
Post #802881 19th Nov 2019 9:50pm
King Luis

Canada 
lohr500 wrote:
Very nice and I bet with care it will still be going strong in another 65 years and be worth more !!!
I doubt the same can be said for the newcomer.

i'm sure any car would last 65 year if it was taken care of as well as these old classics.

SteveT247 wrote:
I had a look around one today too, it's not for me.

what's not for you? styling?

RobKeay wrote:
I’ve seen it in the flesh.

Pros
Seats are super comfortable especially in the rear.
Steering wheel is great
Seems a great place to go with a group skiing in France
Camera rear view mirror is ace gives fantastic rear vision.
Free bar served nice beer

Cons
Too pricey for me at 60k for model shown
Dash seems simple but fussy
Outside feels plastic
Rear lights are odd
Electric tow bar seems a little Censored
Feels overpriced for what it is

I’ve been sticking up for the new defender but really have lost interest.

when you say outside feels plastic, is it the look? or actual feel of it? or just too much of the matte black plastic?
i thought the rear tow bar is cool. volvo has a similar one. is this different? or just not your style?
do you know if all the steering wheels are wrapped in the same material? the LR site (Canada) sort of describes the steering wheel different in the S and SE models. "Standard leather steering wheel" vs "Leather steering wheel"
Post #802903 20th Nov 2019 1:35am
chalky

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
This reminds me of when the DISCO 3 came out, it was lambasted from pre production, early production and into ownership, when serious owners who used these fragile D3’s used them as they were intended without the Air suspension collapsing, the TDV6 didn’t implode, the rear brake light didn’t fall off the lid, the boot door lifted up and not out...... the wheels were too big, tyres too wide, interior too flimsy,

When the nay sayers actually listened to what the previous D1, D2 and now the new D3 owners were saying and they used one themselves the negativity Soon stopped and Those who would never step out of an older Disco for these new fangled toys which were gimmicks and soon to be destined for the scrap yard actually worked they sold like hot cakes and many an enthusiast has since been forged,

Given the option of driving round in a Defender with no room versus one with comfort built in, I’m taking the comfort one every time......... DEFENDER XS CSW 08 TONGA GREEN
Post #802904 20th Nov 2019 2:07am
SteveT247

King Luis, I'm not mad on the styling, no. I also don't like the lack of adaptability in terms of changes/modifications. There's not a lot you can't do with the old model. I'm not talking about sticking a cherry picker on the back but things an average owner may want to change. If I wanted to lower or lift mine I can, if I wanted to change the suspension set up for more articulation I can, if I wanted to step up to 35 or 37 inch tyres, then it's a reasonably straightforward proposition (albeit expensive). You can forget sticking larger tyres on the new one. While I don't like the looks (especially the front), it's this that's the deal breaker for me.

Last edited by SteveT247 on 20th Nov 2019 9:34am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #802908 20th Nov 2019 8:49am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
If someone here is going to look at it IRL, can you please take photos of the tyre sizes? thanks Thumbs Up --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #802912 20th Nov 2019 9:17am
zilch

Australia 
As naks says, tyre sizes please, especially for the 19” off road tyre if it’s released yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #802918 20th Nov 2019 9:43am
SteveT247

They were 20" wheels on the one I saw so probably no use to you what so ever lol, but for what it's worth they were 255/60/20

Click image to enlarge
Post #802919 20th Nov 2019 9:57am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
thanks, I wonder if these 255/60R20s will fit on my Rangie Whistle --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #802921 20th Nov 2019 10:00am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
King Luis wrote:
lohr500 wrote:
Very nice and I bet with care it will still be going strong in another 65 years and be worth more !!!
I doubt the same can be said for the newcomer.

i'm sure any car would last 65 year if it was taken care of as well as these old classics.

I'm not so sure about that myself, since modern cars have a much higher proportion of polymeric materials (plastic) than old cars did. I am not convinced that these materials are yet sufficiently stable and durable to last 65 years. For example, on my Disco 2, which has been well looked after but has had to live outside for 17 years, every single bit of exterior plastic trim has degraded to some extent. The least degraded have just faded from black to grey, but the worst (the wheel arch trims) have lost most of their surface texture as well.

It may be that there have been further improvements, but a New Defender with all its exterior plastic is going to look dreadful if the same thing happens after 20 years.

chalky wrote:
This reminds me of when the DISCO 3 came out, it was lambasted from pre production, early production and into ownership, when serious owners who used these fragile D3’s used them as they were intended without the Air suspension collapsing, the TDV6 didn’t implode, the rear brake light didn’t fall off the lid, the boot door lifted up and not out...... the wheels were too big, tyres too wide, interior too flimsy,

When the nay sayers actually listened to what the previous D1, D2 and now the new D3 owners were saying and they used one themselves the negativity Soon stopped and Those who would never step out of an older Disco for these new fangled toys which were gimmicks and soon to be destined for the scrap yard actually worked they sold like hot cakes and many an enthusiast has since been forged,

Given the option of driving round in a Defender with no room versus one with comfort built in, I’m taking the comfort one every time.........

This happens every time that Landrover brings out a new model, or a new engine, or whatever, and to a great extent can be ignored. The Td5 was the end of the world, apparently, but is actually a great reliable engine. The TDCi really was the end of the world, but is actually in many ways the best engine ever fitted to a Defender, and so on.

My issue with the new Defender is not that it is new, nor that it is radical, nor that it is plastered in over-priced pointless gimmicks (a plant spray to wash the dog, for Heaven's sake!), it is that it is actually not a Defender.

To me, a Defender is a multipurpose ultra versatile light truck. It can mount snowploughs, cherry-pickers, miniguns, and underlifts. You can have bleeding deadstock in the back in the daytime, yet hose it out and go to a smart restaurant in the evening. You can use it equally well for mountain rescue, flood relief, breakdown and recovery work, oil exploration, saving the free world from oppressors, or taking the kids to school. You can hose out the interior rather than vacuum it. If you bend a wing, you can fit a new one in a hour with basic tools. If it conks out out the way to Ulaanbaatar you can mend it without a computer. If you want a roll cage or a light bar, you can bolt one on. If you get bored with a hardtop, you can convert it to a soft top in a couple of hours. You can pull a gang mower with it, or adapt it to run on railway lines. And when you drive it, whatever the reason, you get a sense of satisfaction and achievement, you get waved at by other Defender drivers, and every journey becomes a little adventure. THAT is a Defender, and I don't think the new one will do that.

If they had retired the Defender and given the new vehicle a different name, I would warm to it much more. Calling it a Defender is to my mind insulting an old friend. The old defender was Chuck Norris, the new Defender is Kenton Kool and doubtless moisturises and uses hair care products!
Post #802924 20th Nov 2019 10:23am
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I think the complex electronics will be its nemesis when it comes to longevity.

Both from a parts availability standpoint and having the necessary equipment to do the diagnostic work.

Unless I am mistaken, we are already seeing availability issues with basic electronics on Puma (10AS alarm controllers and Alarm BBUS sounders are two I have picked up on through this forum).

And will there be the knowledge, support and the required hardware/software around in 60 years + to diagnose all the electronics? Sadly, I doubt it.
Post #802928 20th Nov 2019 10:46am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
What's the LR policy on software updates? That could be an even greater limit on longevity.
Post #802937 20th Nov 2019 12:14pm
Tim in Scotland

SteveT247 wrote:
King Luis, I'm not mad on the styling, no. I also don't like the lack of adaptability in terms of changes/modifications. There's not a lot you can't do with the old model. I'm not talking about sticking a cherry picker on the back but things an average owner may want to change. If I wanted to lower or lift mine I can, if I wanted to change the suspension set up for more articulation I can, if I wanted to step up to 35 or 37 inch tyres, then it's a reasonably straightforward proposition (albeit expensive). You can forget sticking larger tyres on the new one. While I don't like the looks (especially the front), it's this that's the deal breaker for me.

Lifting will be OK on the new one provided you don’t spec air suspension - lifts have been possible on all the Freelander models, Evoques (I know one that has a 3” lift) and Disco-Sport. It does mean some compromises in that you cannot also have the full suite of TR programs - rock Crawl is off the menu. But then you also don’t need TR on any modern Land Rover as even those with a transfer box can still be driven “old style” in low ratio without the tweaks from TR. one thing a lot of owners of the modern cars forget is to disable the DSC which can be a real hinderance in deep snow and deep mud when you might be trying to use the sidewalks of the tyres to help you, DSC decides to cut the power as it thinks you are trying to crash the car! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #802938 20th Nov 2019 12:44pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 130 of 351 <123 ... 129130131 ... 349350351>