↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > 2020 Defender main discussion thread
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 10 of 351 <123 ... 91011 ... 349350351>
Print this entire topic · 
BuckBlu110

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 BMW M57 3.0 Diesel CSW Buckingham Blue
Surely the backend of that mule is too short for a pick up? The rear bed looks smaller than a 110 dcpu which is miles smaller than any other pickup on the market any way. I certainly agree that it looks like there’s something going on behind the second row doors though.
All the gubbins underneath look like they’re on show too much, I don’t think any current LR product shows that much of the exhaust and suspension. Maybe it’s just a temporary rear end to show off what’s going on underneath? Just looks kind of out of place.
Post #733719 8th Oct 2018 9:35pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Supacat wrote:
Isn't it always boom or bust though...

There's never enough info in those articles to understand any long term trends or issues, month on month figures are pretty useless.

UK registration Figures from the SMMT:

Click image to enlarge

What is apparent is the drop in total registrations and the continuing drop of diesels as proportion.
JLR have failed to respond to the shift back to petrol, even if it is only short term. All their petrol models are still at the top end of the range. Unlike say, Volvo and BMW who make affordable petrol models with lower power engines.

JLR's persistence with hiking the price of each new model is also leaving them exposed to the £40k plus supplementary VED rate. This means an EXTRA £1550 tax in the first 5 years of ownership, above the normal rate. That would make me think twice. Almost all Solihull made vehicles are in the £40k plus price bracket.

In the Premium and Luxury car market, when things are going good, it's really good.
When it's not good, or looking uncertain and all of your eggs are in the diesel basket, it isn't.
Post #733724 8th Oct 2018 10:18pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
AFV registrations? Armoured Fighting Vehicles?? Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #733727 8th Oct 2018 10:38pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Alternative Fuel Vehicle.

A tank would be more interesting though. Thumbs Up
Post #733728 8th Oct 2018 10:46pm
chalky

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Waited a long time to see anything this concrete, looks to me like a Disco 3 crossover with one of the Jeep’s looking at those shaped wheel arches.

I’d be happy with something in fact anything bigger than a defender that I can sit in relative comfort, I’ve owned many defenders, only had two Discovery’s, DEFENDER XS CSW 08 TONGA GREEN
Post #733733 9th Oct 2018 12:00am
fisha

Looking back, historically seeing mule pictures like these seem to preceed the real thing by about 3 to 4 months. So hopefully not that long to wait now.

As for production pausing, they really do seem to be pricing themselves higher and higher and higher. I would expect that at some point, brand loyalty will be tested for more and more folk who'll walk and find something else. -------------------------------
I miss my V8's....
Post #733761 9th Oct 2018 9:06am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
BuckBlu110 wrote:
Surely the backend of that mule is too short for a pick up? The rear bed looks smaller than a 110 dcpu which is miles smaller than any other pickup on the market any way. I certainly agree that it looks like there’s something going on behind the second row doors though.

Just what I thought (and commented on page 4 of this thread)

several pages ago blackwolf wrote:
I don't see that it can be a DC since the load bed would be ridiculously small, as evidenced by the photoshopped image. Unless all pretence of a working vehicle has been abandoned.

I reckon that as a pickup that mule would have less space in the back than an 80" Series 1 with a truck cab fitted.
Post #733777 9th Oct 2018 10:42am
Slideywindows

England 
Latest news from Solihull is not good.

Apparently the Chinese have stopped buying all those luxury Land Rovers.

Maybe JLR should have stuck with a cheaper utility product in their range?

Have they listened?

We shall see.....
Post #733778 9th Oct 2018 10:52am
milesr3

2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
Fashions change...
Post #733783 9th Oct 2018 11:00am
Slideywindows

England 
Agreed.

Have they built in resilience against that I wonder?
Post #733790 9th Oct 2018 11:14am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Supacat wrote:

JLR's persistence with hiking the price of each new model is also leaving them exposed to the £40k plus supplementary VED rate.

This make me smile. The P38 I've got was new in 2001. It was an end of production (ish) run designed to come in under £40k, to avoid the hike in company car tax. Whilst the tax may be different the concept of tailoring a range / build to suit isn't!

You would like to think they would learn..... Rolling Eyes
Post #733794 9th Oct 2018 11:31am
Ramajama

United States 
fisha wrote:
Looking back, historically seeing mule pictures like these seem to preceed the real thing by about 3 to 4 months. So hopefully not that long to wait now.

As for production pausing, they really do seem to be pricing themselves higher and higher and higher. I would expect that at some point, brand loyalty will be tested for more and more folk who'll walk and find something else.

JLR obviously wants to increase market share. They want more products out for more people to choose from and bring non-traditional buyers into the fold. Well, that’s a good plan, right? The problem is that they’ve made their niche by selling “exclusivity”. They are going to have to let go of that a bit if they want to reach their sales goals. The rest of the market has caught up as far as tech and luxury. For instansce, Have you seen the new RAM 1500 truck lately? It’s extremely nice with top shelf tech, air suspension, etc....on par with any marquee brand for thousands of $ less, BEFORE discounts and rebates. A freakin PICKUP truck! Incredible. That’s just one example of many. Hell, my Power Wagon is surprisingly luxurious, tech laden and supremely capable, with a factory winch and I picked it up for FAR less than the average LR vehicle.
The only vehicle JLR seems to “get it” on is the Discovery Sport and it shows in the sales figures. It’s just about in the sweet spot, even still, the DS can get pricey when equipped as such but I felt that our HSE Lux was priced fairly, competively and a good value against others we were considering and that’s a major reason why we bought it. The new big Discovery could be a huge hit but its priced about $10-$15 too high on average. Great vehicle IMHO, but it’s just not quite worth the price of admission.

So they want to increase sales figures but its a fine line between exclusivity and affordability, JLR is going to have to make some decisions on which it will be.

They have built some serious brand loyalty with me. I love our Disco Sport and I’d love to stay with LR. I can already see that both my wife and I will really like the new Defender and we’ve got a decent budget but if its priced too high and I don’t perceive it as a good value, I’ll have to pass in the end.

Anyway I’ll hope for the best.
Post #733828 9th Oct 2018 2:36pm
edo

United Kingdom 
For me they still have issues with reliability, and dealers.

I have owned some 80 cars in my life. Excluding the P38 I had a few years back, heavily biased to german cars (the Defender shares a garage with a Mercedes, an Audi, and a Porsche).

The purchase experience at LR (two dealers, to get the same car) was, and continues to have been easily THE WORST customer service experience of ANY dealer, new or used, main dealer or indi, full stop.

I categorically wouldn't buy another LR product - I had low expectations and wanted a Defender, and they STILL Censored it up at every point.

IMHO that is one of their biggest stumbling blocks in the UK.
Post #733831 9th Oct 2018 2:40pm
fisha

Quote:
LR obviously wants to increase market share. They want more products out for more people to choose from and bring non-traditional buyers into the fold .... The rest of the market has caught up as far as tech and luxury.

And there is the rub. Non-traditional buyers are less likely to be brand loyal, so they look at whats about. The SUV market isn't really *that* bothered about much off roading ability beyond a grass field / gravel lane. With that in mind, what's about offers as much tech, features with a reasonable amount of luxury for on average, a notably lower price compared to Land Rover. With no brand loyalty, its very easy to see why other brands far outstrip Land Rover in sales for non traditional buyers.

I often liken ( rightly or wrongly... i await to be corrected ) the Discovery Sport to the likes of the Ford Kuga. Similar size vehicles, engines, etc etc ( although the Disco will manage more off road ). The base model of the Kuga with AWD starts around £25k ... the Disco Sport £32k. I personally just cant see where that £7k difference lies. What is physically in that Disco that costs £7k ? Not much.

Its no wonder people would look past Land Rover.

I just hope the defender above doesn't fall into the same issue. -------------------------------
I miss my V8's....
Post #733875 9th Oct 2018 7:53pm
SonicFields

I think that JLR have now realised that they have missed the boat with the new Defender, as the last few months has seen a major shift away from diesel to EV; so their plans have now been scuppered.
I think they're unlikely to launch a new niche market diesel model, given that they're having difficulty selling their existing bread & butter models. Perhaps they will have to consider redesigning it as a pure EV model.

https://news.sky.com/story/jlr-in-two-week...e-11521536
Post #733941 9th Oct 2018 10:02pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 10 of 351 <123 ... 91011 ... 349350351>