↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > INEOS Grenadier > Main Grenadier discussion thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 26 of 106 <123 ... 252627 ... 104105106>
Print this entire topic · 
Philip

United Kingdom 
LandRoverAnorak wrote:

You do realise that this is a Defender forum and that most of us have already accepted that compromise? Laughing

I own enough old Land Rover products to understand that!
Post #886511 19th Feb 2021 2:32pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
I own enough old Land Rover products to understand that!

For heaven's sake, why would you want to own something as ridiculously outdated as an old Landrover.

Which category do you put yourself in, Crocodile Dundee or 'Walt' fantasist? Bow down
Post #886522 19th Feb 2021 3:29pm
Philip

United Kingdom 
They’re old. They aren’t an all-new car deliberately designed to be worse than it should be, with laughable rip-off styling.
Post #886524 19th Feb 2021 3:35pm
ChasingOurTrunks

Philip wrote:
There are some valid points about why someone might want to buy a Grenadier, but I’m still not convinced that they justify the design choices and the compromises they bring. The idea that it’s OK for it to be wilfully hobbled as a thing to drive and travel in for 99% of situations because there’s a tiny window of off-road use in which two live axles might potentially be a benefit seems bizarre; I can’t imagine anyone buying a long-wheelbase station wagon instead of a Wrangler if deliberately driving over giant boulders was their thing (I’ve also read suggestions that the Grenadier’s design looks like it might not offer great articulation, but that remains to be seen).

I may be mistaken Philip but it is starting to sound like you don’t want one! Very Happy

But yes, for the majority of people an IFS vehicle would be a better choice for daily use. But again, the Gren isn’t for the majority of people. It’s for people who are absolutely willing to put up with a barely noticeable compromise (again, a modern solid axle can be made to be very close to a modern independent suspension rig in terms of road manners) for the benefits that solid axles bring to their use case. To use an example, the stair cars at airports spent 99% of their time driving between airplanes. That doesn’t mean the stairs on the back are useless or unnecessary — that’s the point of the vehicle. With the grenadier, solid axles open up a ton of commercial options — PTOs, undercarriage modifications for use on rails, lift kits that don’t break the bank for tourers, track options for cold weather, etc. These are not really options with independent suspensions in nearly the same way. And a lot of commercial mid-size vehicles are front IFS so that really does make the Gren a unique offering.

Quote:

Not sure about this - the Grenadier is an all-new vehicle that shares very little with anything else, and has engines and a gearbox which are as complicated and advanced as it’s possible to be. There’s zero parts or service support anywhere, and no plans to have them - which means you’re at the mercy of the “major repair centre chain” yet to be announced (do they have Halfords Autocentres in the Outback?) Rather than sharing wheels, if easy repair is the aim, why wouldn’t you just buy a whole vehicle with decades of existing support, knowledge, parts supply, dealers and so on?

Repairability isn’t just about service centres — it’s also about the guy stuck in the middle of nowhere and having to rely on local help to figure out a bush fix. That's far more likely to happen on a solid axle 4x4 that shares a design with every other vehicle they've seen in that area. The New Defender doesn’t scream “bush proof” to me yet, and in fact I’d hate to have to find a bush repair for it if something went wrong with the suspension or electrics. The Gren though has that “wedge a tree between the chassis and the axle to act as a skid for when your wheel fell off” air about it. Of course, it has some complexities — It is impossible to build a modern car without some complexity in engine and gearbox due to emissions regs in major markets, but that doesn’t mean simplicity has to be tossed out everywhere, and the Gren is still shaping up to be a fairly simple vehicle. True serviceability is TBD but it looks like they are going in the right direction.

As far as it being a rip off, I totally agree with you there. The original Willy’s will always have a special place in my heart knowing that everything that came after ripped it off — some improved it, others didn’t, but all ripped off the old Jeep! I’m being a bit tongue in cheek here but my point is I don’t see the Ineos as any more of a rip-off than the original Land River was, or the Land Cruiser was, or the Bronco is, etc. “Rip off” is strong language though — taking ideas for improvement in competitors offerings is the name of the game.

Reason for Edit: Changed analogy.
Reason for Edit 2: Put in reason for edit.

Last edited by ChasingOurTrunks on 20th Feb 2021 5:06am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #886533 19th Feb 2021 4:35pm
Philip

United Kingdom 
The styling is a deliberately blatant and embarrassing Defender rip-off, hence the trademark case (compare with the Mahindra v Jeep case in the US last year).
Post #886534 19th Feb 2021 4:46pm
Hufflepuff

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Tonga Green
Supacat wrote:
Hufflepuff wrote:
So we are up to £45k now.

Up to? Where did you start from?

Well, as a old 'Defender' replacement, roughly in line with the Defender price at the end of manufacturing + inflation since then. What would that be, £30k->£35k? 2005 Td5 90 XS
1989 V8 110 CSW
Post #886538 19th Feb 2021 5:09pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I paid £29K for my last Defender (90 XS SW) in 2015 which makes me think you should add at least another £20k to that for a Grenadier. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #886544 19th Feb 2021 5:31pm
ChasingOurTrunks

Philip wrote:
The styling is a deliberately blatant and embarrassing Defender rip-off, hence the trademark case (compare with the Mahindra v Jeep case in the US last year).

Sure, I don't disagree - but so what? Every car is a rip-off of another car. I can't tell the difference between most Hyundai, Kia, and Honda sedans because they all have the same shape and function. Why is it a problem in the 4x4 world for vehicles to have the same shape and function? I don't see anyone having the same disdain for Land Cruiser which even goes so far as to try to rip off the name (historically speaking, this was even the articulated intent of Toyota; I know the modernity, Cruisers and JLR's have diverged in styling though)

Philip the stuff that you are identifying as problems may absolutley be problems for you and enough for you not to buy a Grenadier. But what I'm trying to say here is that the people who the Grenadier is marketed towards don't care about this stuff. In some cases we prefer it this way. I actually don't care what it looks like...I want it to do a job. If I cared about looks I'd go get myself an old "Driver" E-type in the same ballpark of cash....hard to beat the looks of that one!

I also recognize you are the odd-man out on this thread and I don't want you to feel like you're being ganged up on or anything of that nature, so please know I'm enjoying our debate thoroughly; my intent is always from a place of respect and kindness though that can be hard to translate via text. I appreciate you sticking by your perspective and explaining it to me and the rest of us because it generates good conversation. I can imagine us having a similar chat over a pint once we get this Covid thing behind us -- you roll up to the pub in your JLR and I'll roll up in my Grenadier and we can have a proper comparison! Very Happy
Post #886548 19th Feb 2021 5:47pm
Muddybigdog

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
If the Grenadier starts to sell well, I can see BMW wanting a larger slice of the pie, in order to have a G-wagon alternative in their stable Jumped ship to reliability - Mitsubishi L200
Puma 90 XS - Sold
D3 - 2.7 S x2 (both Sold)
Freelander 2 HSE - Sold
Freelander 1 - Sold
Disco 2 - Sold
Post #886550 19th Feb 2021 5:53pm
Slideywindows

England 
Philip wrote:
The styling is a deliberately blatant and embarrassing Defender rip-off,

So, apart from JLR, who exactly is embarrassed by it?
Post #886560 19th Feb 2021 6:13pm
Philip

United Kingdom 
Ineos most certainly should be.
Post #886562 19th Feb 2021 6:16pm
Philip

United Kingdom 
ChasingOurTrunks wrote:
I can imagine us having a similar chat over a pint once we get this Covid thing behind us -- you roll up to the pub in your JLR and I'll roll up in my Grenadier and we can have a proper comparison! Very Happy

Deal. I’ll bring my old Series III though, because that seems like a fairer comparison... 🍻
Post #886563 19th Feb 2021 6:20pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Grenadier posted an Instagram story today of the front end which looked truly hideous. I can't post the link but it's the last photo on this page: https://ineosgrenadier.com/en-gb WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #886599 19th Feb 2021 8:26pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
There is probably a limit to what they can achieve on the design for the EU crash regulations, whilst maintaining a flattish front end profile.

My EU spec Wrangler has what can best be described as a picnic table on the front end to comply with the requirements. Even the bonnets are different between the EU and USA spec Wranglers. EU spec versions have a steel bonnet, USA versions are aluminium. Again allegedly as a result of different crash test requirements!
Post #886604 19th Feb 2021 8:48pm
ChasingOurTrunks

Philip wrote:
ChasingOurTrunks wrote:
I can imagine us having a similar chat over a pint once we get this Covid thing behind us -- you roll up to the pub in your JLR and I'll roll up in my Grenadier and we can have a proper comparison! Very Happy

Deal. I’ll bring my old Series III though, because that seems like a fairer comparison... 🍻

I bet it doesn't have Apple CarPlay though.... Rolling with laughter

(Gosh I hope the Grenadier has a modern interior...honestly that could be a deal breaker for me. I'd sooner accept the compromise of a complex New Defender to get a modern, comfortable interior than I would accept the compromise of the Gren's solid axles etc. if it doesn't have a modern interior - but my hopes are high because what they promised is modernity)
Post #886647 19th Feb 2021 11:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 26 of 106 <123 ... 252627 ... 104105106>