Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 102 <123 ... 100101102>
Print this entire topic · 
kmac

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Grenadier wrote:
What a great name for a project Whistle

Bow down Bow down Bow down

Thought this was going to be about our own Grenadier's project....

Wonder why they chose a non-English spelling of Project
Post #651279 19th Sep 2017 12:59pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Mmmm, a man with some money, an R&D guy and someone with experience of building gas pipelines. Sounds like a winning team, if success is a massively overspecced vehicle that 2% of the population can afford.
Post #651288 19th Sep 2017 1:41pm
tolley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
Post #651289 19th Sep 2017 1:43pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
^^^^ Outside one of my favourite pubs too. This is all too much. British revival, great concept, cool name, lovely pub. Now all we need is to hear that it will be launched by our great British muse, Felicity Kendall; I'll be in heaven. Thud Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #651290 19th Sep 2017 1:48pm
rockster57

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
Felicity definitely has her merits but in keeping with the spirit of the concept, how about....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/expatpict...urers.html

or

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_Bingham
Post #651306 19th Sep 2017 2:22pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
ineos still reputedly doing a defender replacement
:www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/09/19/billionaire-ineos-founder-reveals-plans-son-land-rover-defender

19 SEPTEMBER 2017 • 1:12PM
Billionaire businessman Jim Ratcliffe wants to launch Britain’s biggest independent car company, building “uncompromising off-roaders” that can take over where the Land Rover Defender left off.

The founder of chemicals giant Ineos wants to produce a “rugged offroader, which is unbreakable, go anywhere and does not have the reliability problems of the Defender” and is “100pc not a Chelsea tractor”.

Mr Ratcliffe is a fan of the now discontinued Land Rover Defender, which went out of production in 2016, and said he wants to create a car that fills its gap in the market - something he believes Jaguar Land Rover will not do when it launches a new version of the car in two years' time.

The last Land Rover Defender rolls off the line at JLR's plant in 2016
The last Land Rover Defender rolls off the line at JLR's plant in 2016 CREDIT: PA
“We are going to produce something they are not,” he said. “Theirs will be more high volume and not what the Defender used to be.”

ADVERTISING

With a fortune estimated at £3.2bn, Mr Ratcliffe is known for his adventuring in Defenders and has bemoaned its loss. He said that while the original vehicle had a ruggedness found in no other car, its reliability left something to be desired.

“When I go on safari in Africa I always go in a Land Rover, but I always bring a picnic basket,” he said, referring to the risk of breakdowns.

As founder of one of Britain’s largest private companies, he is planning to draw on Ineos’s resources for the £500m to £600m investment that will be necessary to get the new 4x4 car - called “Projekt Grenadier” - on the road. Mr Ratcliffe has set a target date of 2020 to get first models rolling off the production line.

Jim Ratcliffe at Grangemouth
Mr Ratcliffe said his company's other industrial businesses meant it know 'quite a ;lot' about manfuacturing CREDIT: GETTY
“In an ideal world we would build it in Britain because that is where the heritage is,” said Mr Ratcliffe, speaking as he unveiled his plans at Belgravia’s The Grenadier pub, and which gave the project its name.

“The UK needs to arrest this decline in manufacturing but it has to make economic sense to build it here.”

The company has a target of producing 25,000 cars a year, priced at about £35,000. However, Mr Ratcliffe said he still does not have a design for the car or a name. “We’re running a competition for the name but it’s like a child - you need to see it before you name it,” he said.

Ineos is in discussions with the government about possible state support to construct the facilities to produce the car in the UK, Mr Ratcliffe said, adding and is considering sites on the country’s Eastern seaboard.

“We absolutely want the government involved and we have an emotional attachment to the UK, but we cannot let that override the economics.”

Ineos plant
Ineos is one of the biggest private companies in the UK
However, production could be in Europe, he conceded, adding that there are a wealth of redundant car plants in Germany, which could reduce start-up costs, as well as the possibility of EU funding. Using a contract manufacturer would also be considered.

Brexit could throw hurdles in the way of production in the UK, but the billionaire said he had faith that a deal would be done.

“There will be a common sense outcome to Brexit,” he said. “Big commercial organisations in countries such as Germany are not going to be cut off from such a big market - they will not allow politicians to get overly emotional about it.”

Ineos is closing in on designs for the new car, which will come with a 3-litre diesel, 4-litre petrol and hybrid power trains. A team of 200 engineers is being assembled for the engineering and design work and Mr Ratcliffe said once production starts a plant would employ 1,000 staff and support up to 10,000 jobs in the supply chain.

He dismissed concerns that privately held Ineos has no experience in the complicated world of car design where other small UK companies have failed.

“We would not be doing this if we were not serious about it and thought we could make a profit,” Mr Ratcliffe said. “We think we know a fair bit about manufacturing from the chemicals side of the business: putting in £600m is a lot of money and we have got to balance the books.” DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #651372 19th Sep 2017 7:03pm
Scott_Landy

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 110 200 Tdi CSW Firenze Red
If the £650m is for r&d and building factory from scratch then I thing he is doing it on the cheap. I say that having spent a number of years as a financial controller at a motor manufacturer.
Post #651407 19th Sep 2017 10:33pm
Avelingporter

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
The may be an economical price, but depends on wether you want to develop a euro/us spec car with all of the electronic wimwams , as is LR, or a basic vehicle for the rest of the world and farmers. Me thinks he is doing the latter.
Post #651420 20th Sep 2017 5:28am
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
I think the £650m is the budget for the fat cats salaries.
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #651429 20th Sep 2017 6:42am
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
To follow up on my post yesterday, Jeep will apparently have their new Wrangler out before the Defender...and it's a hybrid!
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-car...-uk-demand

Ooh, this could be my first Jeep in 41 years of buying cars.
Post #651435 20th Sep 2017 7:27am
tolley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
Post #651460 20th Sep 2017 9:01am
oneten110

United Kingdom 
rockster57 wrote:
Felicity definitely has her merits

Really? she always reminds me of a rodent.
As for an idea conceived in a pub, wonder what time of night it was? What can possibly go wrong?
Post #651467 20th Sep 2017 9:33am
pannawonica

Australia 
This is interesting, I for one would not be so quick too dismiss this! Look what john bloor did with triumph motorcycles, I Evan managed a tour around the old factory. That being the one that had the fire not meridian! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Very Happy
Post #651672 21st Sep 2017 2:05am
Kit

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Scotia Grey
Defender (old shape) production to be restarted in Germany?
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/...r-defender

Confused 1993 200 Tdi 90 CSW
1956 Series 1 Hard-top
1958 Series 1 Soft-top
Post #651727 21st Sep 2017 9:26am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I think that we ought to have a few more threads on this subject, five (or seven, nine, whatever we're up to now) simply isn't enough! Rolling with laughter

No offence to OP intended.
Post #651772 21st Sep 2017 12:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 102 <123 ... 100101102>