↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > A day in the life of Miffy the 110...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 29 of 60 <123 ... 282930 ... 585960>
Print this entire topic · 
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Would be news to me, every one of the Td5s I’ve worked on has had the plug out for normal use.
Post #959421 24th Jul 2022 10:19pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Ok, so anecdotally there are so so so many many posts that state Person A was told by knowledgable Person B and or C that the TD5 came out of the factory with the bell housing wading plugs pre-installed.

This is my experience as every TD5 I have been under has always had the plug fitted and usually covered in crud indicating that they have been present for a long long time.

The owners manual, under the wading section states that before wading plugs must be fitted to the timing case and bell housing "TDI Only". Of course that could just refer to the TDI timing plug... The manual therefore must be assuming that the TD5 bell housing plug is still in its original fitted position. Also the drawings in the manual only seem to show the TDI wading plug positions.

See attached pages.

Of course it makes perfect sense in day to day non-off road life to remove the plugs or periodically remove them to check for oil leaks.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #959441 25th Jul 2022 10:21am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
The actual wording is 'Tdi engines only' as it's referring to the engine timing cover, which isn't the same on the TD5. The requirement to plug the bellhousing is applicable to all models and there's no assumption that the plug is already in place. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #959445 25th Jul 2022 10:43am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Fair point LRA.

It seems odd that the TDI's were supplied with wading plugs in a tool roll, with the tool to fit/unfit and the owner is expected to fit them before wading and remove afterwards. Whereas the TD5 appears to have come from the factory with the wading plug installed, no tool in the tool roll to fit/unfit and no handy storage location.

Based on the lack of LR tool supplied at the point of sale it does make me think that LR never intended the owner to fit/unfit the TD5 wading plug. This is probably why the plug went from a male square head to a 3/8" female plug. Almost as if LR were deliberately making the removal a little more difficult to prevent the plug from being forgotten and probably knowing that a goodly proportion of LR users fail to fit wading plugs, leading to contaminant ingress in to the bell housing. Plus there would be less chance of "ones crazy paving" from being spoiled by any unsightly fluid leaks... Rolling Eyes Wasn't it about the TD5 era that LR fitted under engine and gearbox drip trays to the CSW models as well?!

Anyway, the ultimate point is that the plug if permanently fitted should be periodically removed to check for leaks and if not permanently fitted should be fitted prior to wading and removed thereafter. Just don't forget the 3/8" ratchet...
Post #959453 25th Jul 2022 11:41am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Break out the Red Rubber Grease
Oh yes... A new TRW slave cylinder has finally arrived to replace the one that ate itself and dumped all its fluid in to the bell housing.

But before it goes on it is time to dismantle it, check for cleanliness and rebuild with red rubber grease.

Hoping tomorrow Miffy will be mobile once more Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Also in the parcel were some clutch switch washers, body rivets and door waist seals...

Click image to enlarge

...Much to do on the l'girl this summer Smile
Post #959800 28th Jul 2022 9:06am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Gears, All the gears, whenever you want them
Well that is that all fixed. One TRW clutch slave cylinder installed, fully bled and wouldn't you know it Miffy has all her gears back again Smile

All pretty in gold...

Click image to enlarge

And to celebrate a quick jaunt around the back lanes and home through the Corwen carwash. It is pretty deep for July, expected it to be a trickle.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Then there are these beauties Mr. Green These are step one of the bodywork restoration. Four newly painted doors. Now just to begin swapping stuff over one door at a time Smile Also at the same time I have newly painted windscreen blocks and those triangular panels behind the second row doors.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #959967 29th Jul 2022 4:38pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
White or Blue Roof?
So, along with the doors, there are a few other bodywork bits that I want to get sorted on MIffy.

Number 1 of which is to sort out the roof that has previously been "touched up" after the previous owner appears to have had a car park related incident. But no dent, just a small scrape. Well not just one but two, front and rear... The time has come to sort out the blemishes.

I am also thinking of raptor coating the roll can eat the same time, since it will have to come off.

The question is... Keep the roof body coloured or go white?

There is just something about a white roof on a Defender. What do you folks think?
Post #960104 31st Jul 2022 12:56pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
in think white !
Mr. Green
Post #960110 31st Jul 2022 1:30pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
I agree with you. Nobody shoot me but I also love the combination of white wheels with the white roof...

Kind of like the idea of white Boost alloys. Never seen a set, but think that could look excellent with the dark Oslo blue of the body.
Post #960114 31st Jul 2022 2:14pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Why would anybody shoot you for the best colour combo in existence? I'm not entirely sure about white Boosts (and I like Boosts) but white Wolfs would look Cool Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #960124 31st Jul 2022 5:56pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
I get the feeling LRA that white boosts with a white roof would push people's opinions to the limit... Rolling with laughter

But you are right it is a classic colour combo. I have always preferred the white roofs over the body coloured roofs.
Post #960127 31st Jul 2022 6:14pm
kenzle8a

White ZU’s would be my ideal wheel if i could justify them on the farm truck.
Post #960129 31st Jul 2022 6:23pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Steering UJs stiff
Just a quick bit of workshop action yesterday. After the last hot period the steering on ol Miffy became a little notchy, especially at lower speeds.

The culprit were the steering UJs becoming a little dry. Quick spray of 3in1 oil and the steering is as slick as it ever was.

Have to love an easy fix Smile
Post #961825 16th Aug 2022 7:47am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Unstuck and very stuck
Well it has been a little while since I last posted any progress on ol' Miffy. Well she has been going great guns. She has been used for some excellent trips with many sleep outs, including a surprise meet up with our very own Dave12345 Thumbs Up

But, that is not the topic for this post. Now I consider myself to have decent off-roading skills. I have been doing this a very long time now, but a few weeks ago I almost became completely unstuck and by that I mean within a gnats hairs breadth of putting Miffy on her lid.

It all happened so fast...

Isn't that what everyone says? But it did. Super quick. All I was doing was pulling over to the side of a track to park up before heading off to conduct a survey. Next thing I knew the drivers-side front wheel literally falls off a metre and a bit cliff into some bracken leaving Miffy teetering with her nearside rear wheel off the ground...

[Add appropriate expletive HERE] Shocked Shocked

Unfortunately I did not take a photo of Miffy stuck, but this is the aftermath (spoiler alert) of getting her back on all four wheels. The photos definitely do not do the drop-off justice.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

As you can appreciate it all looks fairly innocuous, safe, normal and that was my first mistake. I have been to this exact spot 20 or 30 times over the last eight years and I have ALWAYS parked just here in this spot Rolling Eyes It all looked the same as it ever did. How wrong could I be and now I have 40 minutes to get out of the predicament before 30 something undergraduates plus peers arrive on scene to begin the days surveying practical.

So what did I do to get out?

First off it is worth saying that the sand in the photos is wind blown and incredibly dry and soft. Now, we in the UK do not get much of anything dry let alone dry sand dune sand to drive on so excuse the following as it may seem utterly noddy to some of you.

Miffy is a 110 CSW with full roll cage, 33" BFG AT KO2 tyres, standard drivetrain, +2" lift and anti-roll bars. The rear of which is the X-Eng X-Deflect which was locked in the on position, hence the wheel in the air.

Attempt 1: Reverse out - FAIL - Disconnected X-deflex ARB. With the weight of the vehicle it just dug down. Now things are worse.

Attempt 2: Forwards, 3-point turn and drive out - FAIL - Again the weight of the vehicle just dug deeper still, tipped more and slew the rear drivers-side off the top of the slope. Much worse now.

Attempt 3: Forwards but with the winch pulling - FAIL - Albright contact/relay pack failed. It was only working the weekend before.

Attempt 4: GRP waffle boards - FAIL - At home. They always live in the footwell of the 2nd row, but were taken out to fit a bike in the weekend before. As was the Tirfor hand winch.

Things are not looking good. Ok, stand back, take a breath and back to basic principles...

Attempt 5: Shovel, pressures and driving - SUCCESS - Dropped tyre pressures to 14 psi (0.96 bar) on all four tyres (ARB style quick deflator). Dug sand out from behind tyres. Deep trenches leading up hill. Reverse, low, centre diff lock and she just crawled out on tick-over.

Basic principles Thumbs Up Shovel, plan, effort and as fast as required but as slow as necessary wins the day. Plus not a small amount of relief that no-one witnessed this event.

The lesson, the very important lesson is:

That sometimes you can have all the toys and can still become unstuck.
    It will inevitably happen somewhere familiar and probably when you are in a rush.
    It is likely to happen at the most inopportune moment and place.
    Technology/equipment will fail you eventually.
    All of which is likely to happen when you are solo driving.

But...

Often the simplest solution is the best solution.

I know it is all airy-fairy but the proof is in the pudding.

The items that most definitely earns their keep this time were the tyre deflator, shorty shovel, decent tyres and finally the trusted T-Max air compressor. Never leave home without them Wink

Hindsight what it is I thought you lot might learn something from my mistake or at the very least get a bit of a chuckle from it Rolling with laughter

Click image to enlarge
Post #966168 28th Sep 2022 1:26pm
8619simon

Wales 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
So true on basic principles, glad you got out OK 👍. I know that spot well and can vouch for the very soft sand but have never clocked the drop there.
Post #966181 28th Sep 2022 5:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 29 of 60 <123 ... 282930 ... 585960>