↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > A day in the life of Miffy the 110...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 60 123 ... 585960>
Print this entire topic · 
geobloke

United Kingdom 
A day in the life of Miffy the 110...
So today didn't exactly go to plan... Whistle

As some of you will know Miffy has been having a few coolant related issues of late... Explosive coolant issues. Thread here http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic53216.html

Well I have been waiting for Easter break to sort the weeping coolant plug hidden behind the exhaust manifold. Like all good LR DIY'ers everywhere I had already bought all the gaskets and parts I would need. Plus a few extra bits whilst everything was in pieces... EGT sensor and coolant sensor.

This was the start

Click image to enlarge

Quickly the engine bay emptied, no problems so far

Click image to enlarge

Old plug out

Click image to enlarge

New plug in

Click image to enlarge

The new plug has an adhesive under the flange, this melts and seals the plug as the engine warms up

Click image to enlarge

So all still going good Thumbs Up next on the list was the EGT sensor

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Next it was the turn of the airbox, removing the impeller and filling all the holes. FYI mine had the rubber drain valve and a number of random holes which makes it pointless...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Coolant sensor installed

Click image to enlarge

Rebuild the exhaust side of the engine and coolant back in... Start her up and begin the bled process all going well then...

Click image to enlarge

Oh balls... Big Cry Big Cry got to be in the Peaks tomorrow for a seminar... Queue appropriate McGuiver soundtrack and an half and hour later I have...

Click image to enlarge

Installed in place of bleed screw...

Click image to enlarge

Refill with coolant and it took ages to bleed without that bleed screw, but all is good again. Successful test drive and off to the Peaks tomorrow. New hose to order next though...

Click image to enlarge
Post #616874 14th Apr 2017 9:42pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Well today we made it to our dog training seminar and the Peaks as well. The hose repair held up perfectly. Now the decision... Rubber or silicone replacement?? Any advice?

Tomorrow I hope to fabricate the bracket to fit the P&P snorkel properly to the SD roll cage and if I have time the internal ducting to connect the snorkel to the original LR pipework.

Kind of excited, been looking forward to getting these done for ages... Very Happy
Post #617036 15th Apr 2017 7:05pm
L110CDL

England 
Great quick thinking to do away with the bleed screw Thumbs Up Good you made your appointments and its good to tick some of the jobs of the list Wink 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #617099 15th Apr 2017 11:12pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Hi Clayton . Yes when needs must it is good to be able to pull together a bush-like repair from off cuts. The tube is actually from my home made poly bush installer and was originally the exhaust from our old Massey 135... Truely nothing ever dies, just reincarnated... A few years back I did a city of guilds welding course... Worth every penny. The welder I gave though is a POS... Whistle

So other things that got done, a proper clean of the Sensors and repaired the filter box sensor which was truely loosey-goosey. Replaced the two self tapers with a couple of stainless bolts.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Rubbed down and painted the turbo heat shield as it was looking scabby and I had to wait for the coolant to drain, VHT paint...

Click image to enlarge

Hotspot test of the rad, apart from the lower fins rotting away all is working well. New rad at some point in the nearish future.

Click image to enlarge
Post #617203 16th Apr 2017 11:55am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Ok so Miffy is on her third exhaust manifold and I will confess to being a tad paranoid about exhaust gas temperatures, especially as she is tuned and works hard as my daily driver, survey battle wagon, doggy dat care kennel, green laner and family tourer.

I tried to get a Madman gauge sensor kit prior to this weekend, but alas it was not to be. Instead I have gone part way by preparing the manifold to take an EGT probe. The observant will notice this is not a standard LR manifold, it is in fact an Allisport item and has been on Miffy for at least six months. It is best to place the EGT in the collector part of the manifold, this is where all the gases from each cylinder mix before heading past the turbo and down the exhaust. In the Allisport manifold this collector region is very small so there was not a lot of choice of where the probe could go, just in the middle...

Have to say these manifold are not cheap items so I was understandably quite nervous of drilling it. The advice I got was to centre punch the position, use brand new high quality drill bits, drill a pilot hole then use the correct drill bit for the tap you plan to use. In this case it was an 11/32 drill bit and the tap was a 1/8 NPT. When it comes to tapping the cast manifold, slow and steady and use plenty of cutting oil to lubricate and aid the cut. Worked a treat I am very happy with how it turned out. Next step is either a VDO gauge or a Madman gauge... But which one?! Benefits to both, stock look versus digital multi display.... Rolling Eyes

Positioning the gland, probe to right of manifold

Click image to enlarge

Pilot hole

Click image to enlarge

11/32" hole

Click image to enlarge

Drill swarf, not much due to using an oil. Be aware if doing his yourself on vehicle

Click image to enlarge

Tapping the manifold

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Adding probe gland

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Completed back on engine with probe in place

Click image to enlarge

Road test went well, no leaks. Just the gauge end to do.
Post #617220 16th Apr 2017 1:27pm
L110CDL

England 
First off i know how nervous it is about making certain holes in or on your landy Rolling Eyes Mine were my 2 side lockers i measured 5 times and then cut it out, but still nervous Rolling Eyes
I think that the normal gauge would be more in keeping Wink but i like things to be simple Whistle

The job list that you are doing is really great and keeping on top of things, as mine is on the road all the time as well Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #617307 16th Apr 2017 9:27pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Hi Clayton. Have to love and respect a hard working Land Rover. Battle scarred she maybe but she's mine and we have many amazing memories together. Then came the wife and Doglet and those memories just keep on coming Thumbs Up

Another day off tomorrow so I am hoping to knock a few more off the list tomorrow including wiring up the VDO temp gauge I bought the other week to the temp sender I installed on Friday. Love a gauge with numbers... Thumbs Up
Post #617321 16th Apr 2017 10:17pm
L110CDL

England 
Totally agree with you there about the hard working landy Thumbs Up Alas my landy came after the wife but before the dog, so not to bad Very Happy

Hope you have a good day on the list tomorrow Whistle My list is still the same Rolling Eyes as im working over the bank holiday weekend Rolling Eyes 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #617333 16th Apr 2017 10:59pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Right then today's jobs took slightly longer than I expected, but I did finish one job I have been wanting to do for at least two years.

I have always loved the NAS rear step and hitch but have never forked out for one because I already have a 2" receiver hitch from Safari Equip which is a great bit of kit. So toyed around with making my own then stumbled across these NAS style steps with no hitch and come I two parts, designed to slip behind a standard drop hitch I assume. Best of all I got them on sale £30 delivered Thumbs Up and that's where this mod remained for the better part of six months as house and work left me with very little spare time. Until this morning that is whilst walking Pi the pup out on Whixall moss when my wife said "I do wish you'd get a step for the back of Miffy!"

Queue the "fish hook in the eye brow look"... A cunning plan for the rest of the day emerges and off I go to the back yard for a number of hours Mr. Green

The starting point for today's modification

Click image to enlarge

The left hand step

Click image to enlarge

Hitch loosened up and thank goodness there was enough play to slot the steps behind the main plate. I did think I might have to break out the grinder, adapt the steps and weld them to the hitches back plate. Phew!

Click image to enlarge

I took the time to re-waxoyl the rear cross member. Gave up paint years ago, the last coat of wax ol has lasted five years so very happy. The cross member is now beautifully black once more Thumbs Up

The only thing that I had to adjust was e right hand step which fouled against the nut of the Safari Equip wheel carriers bottom mount. So I did have to break out the grinder after all Very Happy Thumbs Up

And to the finished article...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And one from the front just because...

Click image to enlarge

I am really pleased with how this has turned out, looks great, is functional and best of all sanctioned by "the wife" Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #617506 17th Apr 2017 7:51pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Ha just noticed the drivers side mud flap is quite wonky... It's being held on in true farmer style by a cable tie, where the heck did the rivets go?! Rolling with laughter and more importantly who cable tied it... Shocked

Going to have to have a conversation with the garage I used last month. Appreciate the fix but why not use rivets or tell me... How odd...
Post #617508 17th Apr 2017 8:03pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Also today between heavy rain showers I tried Plan-A to connec the snorkel to the pipework inside the engine bay... Kind of went ok but not entirely happy. A lack of pipe led me to try creating a boxed manifold but my welder is a POS and the plate was just too thin for a decent weld. Think I will have to try again tomorrow.

Plan-B... Sleep on it...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #617513 17th Apr 2017 8:10pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
So, good day today. Revamped the front suspension on the ol'Gal.

I replaced the rear springs and shocks six months ago or so, swapping out RKB101111 dual rated LR springs (and Koni adjustable shocks) for a pair of Oldman emu 2754 500lb springs. The theory being that the SD cage is quite heavy and causing the LR springs to sag quite a lot. Well the 2754s were way to HD so swapped them out for the lighter pair of OME2755 (300lb) and these work beautifully with the cage and a light load of dog cage and recovery gear. The OME2755 springs are twinned with OME60039 shocks. Great feel and ride.

That left the front setup as Koni adjustable shocks and NRC9488 and NRC9489 LR HD springs. Apart from the sagging over time, the feel from the front (compared to the rear) was vague and generally uninspiring. Today this has been changed to OME2767 springs and OME60037 shocks. I also replaced the bottom spring plate as this was rusty and fitted a set of Disco 2 front spring isolators (RBC100111) to level up the front a tad more.

The difference is superb. The vehicle feels planted, responsive, crisp and like the front and rear are not fighting each other anymore. Very happy Defender owner Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Before shot. Very nose down.

Click image to enlarge

New OME springs next to LR HD item. Same free height just higher rating. NB: OME2767 are handed and labelled A and B.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Shocks. Difference between LR Koni and OME

Click image to enlarge

First side fitted. Passenger side is always the hardest to get the springs in. Took the time to clean up and waxoyl whilst under there. NB: four years worth of wear on the Britpart drilled and grooved discs and they are pretty much as good as a standard disc. All the grooves and holes are filled in.

Click image to enlarge

And the finished product, much better...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #617807 18th Apr 2017 9:58pm
ppad

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
Great post Geobloke thanks Thumbs Up with pics, shows what can be done with a bit of confidence. Inspiring for us fainhearted to get the spannners out these sunny days .... Sold the much modified 110 2.8, in Oz
Brought the 90 home from Switzerland ...
Post #618258 20th Apr 2017 10:03pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Hi ppad. Thanks for the compliment. i began DIY maintaining my old 200tdi after a now very good friend took me aside and gave me the "you can do this" talk, all you need is a good socket set, a screwdriver and you'll save loads on garage bills. He was right. Like all things in life the first time is nerve racking but I do a huge amount of research and above all use the right tools for the right job. Well almost always. Have of course broken out the unnecessarily large hammer more than once and almost every time regretted it... Whistle desperation gets to us all. Plus there are many incredible folks on forums who are always there to help and give advice. Found this to be the best resource. Manuals although accurate can be a little too black and white...

Enough of that. The important thing is that I got nowt done on Miffy today, but have instead painted the bedroom and stud walled the spare room cupboard ready for carpets next month. Getting there and of course Miffy was there to lug the timber, plaster board, plants and compost... Thumbs Up
Post #618504 21st Apr 2017 8:23pm
MalteseRover

Malta 
Wow, fantastic write up.
I am currently happy with how the TD5 is doing and the guage is always sitting in middle between the blue and red part. i am going to fit an electric oil pressure guage soon.

I was wondering about the coolant temperature gauge. i did install one in such a way on my little kubota b7001.

I have a question, can i simply install the guage sensor in metal tube where the bleed valve sits? making only one cut in the hose? and use the sensor as a bleed screw? hence minimising the number of cuts/clips in the system?

The sensor in a 2.25 diesel is positioned in the far back of engine is it possible to insert something back there on a td5? piston 5 should be running the hottest since it is not benefiting from cooling air flow?

thanks
Joseph Said
Malta
Post #635566 4th Jul 2017 5:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 60 123 ... 585960>