↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Puma clear indicators & Wipac Crystals - shopping list h
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Gasket

Puma clear indicators & Wipac Crystals - shopping list h
Hi folks.

I thought I'd give the Defender's lighting a very light spruce up and, before I start spending loads of money I wondered if I could check my shopping list with the forum? I'm not interested in LEDs just yet.

My factory fitted indicators and sidelights (its a 2010) are all "LEP England" and my side repeaters are Hellas. I'm working on the assumption that if I find the NLA LEP parts then I can just buy clear lenses and bulbs and fit them to my existing lamp units.

Clear indicators (looking to fit the same parts as factory clear indicators)

My factory fitted indicators and sidelights (its a 2010) are all "LEP England" and my side repeaters are Hellas. I'm working on the assumption that if I find the NLA LEP parts then I can just buy clear lenses and bulbs and fit them to my existing lamp units.

So that means I need:

used: 4x LEP England clear lenses (liberated from second hand sidelights as LEP are NLA)
new: 4x LR000702 or generic amber bulbs (382-p25/1-21 Watt, yellow, 12V)
used: 2x XGB100310 clear Hella side repeaters (they're available for peanuts second hand as they were also on freelanders)
new: 2x XZQ100210 or generic amber bulbs (01-w10/5-5 Watt, yellow, 12v)
new: 2x AFU3112 O rings for the hella side lights

Wipac Crystal headlamps[/b]

OK, so on this one I'm a lot less certain. I think I need.

new: boomslang wiring loom (not necessary but a nice upgrade): https://www.flatdoguk.com/boomslang-perfor...-loom~1607 - is this a good one?

new: Wipac Crystal Headlamps. Here I'm massively confused. Some have a sidelamp, some have no side lamp hole and some - like on the BoltOnBits site are advertised as having the side lamp hole covered with reflective tape. There is also "Crystal", "crystal/Freeform", "SVX" and "60th" variants. Were these ever OEM with names like that? Either way, could someone point me in the direction of the best set to fit my vehicle? I think I have a levelling motor as standard and am not sure if I need to buy rings too.

new: bulbs. I'm out of touch on these, but I understand that H4 bulbs are the right general ones to get.

Am I missing anything else? It seems like it will all be quite cheap to do and, with the exception of the Wipac Crystals and H4 bulbs, will all be Land Rover factory approved.

Thank you!

Last edited by Gasket on 31st Mar 2022 11:10am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #947566 30th Mar 2022 9:08pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Personally I’d go LED. (But understand your preference).

I would also consider the Landreziger headlight loom over a Boomslang.
(Use Google Chrome for auto translate).

H4 is indeed the correct size headlight bulb, you also need the standard 55w version and NOT 100w.
I used to have Philips extreme upgrade bulbs 55w and Wipac Crystals and they were very good for value…

I now use all LED.

As you have found regarding indicators etc, eBay is probably your best bet for that for take off parts.

Though it’s my preference, LED units are more reliable, water ingress and holders rotting is not a problem.
Longer life without failure and more vivid and brighter light with a faster light up time in particular for brake lights.

As I said mine are LED but I went clear on the front and factory colours to the rear. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #947573 30th Mar 2022 10:07pm
JPE

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
I’d agree it’s worth considering leds.
I’ve found these so much brighter for the indicator, brake & side lights.
I went with wipac crystals though for the headlights which provide much more visibility than the factory standard headlights.
Post #947577 30th Mar 2022 11:59pm
Gasket

Hi both - thank you very much.

I'm not against LEDs, I'm just not ready to change the lighting substantially at this stage. Currently I'm just giving the old girl a small tidy-up as part of a (really overdue) valet and clean. I happen to be removing the side lamp and indicator lenses to replace the corroded screws and to clean/polish the plastic and I thought I may as well reattach clear lenses in their place. I'll get round to LEDs in the future no doubt.

Upgrading from amber to OEM clear indicators is a lovely little lift and (it turn out) costs very little to do.

Since posting my message above I've just bought 4x used but genuine parts clear LEP England indicator assemblies, complete with amber bulbs and also a pair of used but correct Hella clear smoked side repeaters for the total princely sum of £23.95 delivered. Bargain.

So, assuming no pitfalls with the above I just need to pick the right Hella Crystal headlamps.

Thank you for the tip with the Landreiziger loom. I'll definitely get one instead of the Boomslang. There seems to be two options - one with ceramic connectors (which seems to be an upgrade, but is weirdly cheaper) and one with plastic connectors - not quite sure which to get:

plastic: https://shop.landreiziger.nl/lichtversterk...elais.html
ceramic: https://shop.landreiziger.nl/lichtversterk...toren.html

on the headlamp bulbs, looking at steve's comment and some of the other treads it seems that either Philips H4 XtremeVision or Osram H4 Night Breakers get good praise.

So the last real thing I need is to know which type of Wipac Crystals to get.

The only ones I can find that specifically say they come without a random extra side lamp built in are these ones from BoltOnBots, but I'm really not keen on the side lamp hole just being covered with a bit of reflective tape. Weirdly they say "wipac never made a non-sidelight version of these lamps" https://boltonbits.co.uk/pair-of-wipac-7-s...light.html

Alternatively, Paddocks have them at a fraction of the price and there's no mention of a side lamp: https://www.paddockspares.com/pm678-wipac-...ralia.html
Post #947578 31st Mar 2022 12:39am
Penfold_6290

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
I'm looking at this situation as well for my 110. As far as I have seen so far the option on the Wipac Crystal is either the standard unit that takes only an H4 bulb and the one that they market as the 'SVX' version which has the sidelight bulb as well. I will likely go for the latter, I might also consider an LED 501 bulb to act as a DRL if it's bright enough. I've also converted to clear indicators and orange bulbs for the front, much smarter.

I think the comment regarding Wipac not making a non-sidelight version of the lamp refers to the SVX version which has the little metal reflector in front of the bulb. The standard Crystal doesn't have this. I'd personally get the ones with the sidelight bulb fitted.

Last weekend I fitted the Landreiziger loom with the ceramic connectors, I guess these will last longer if they get hot and especially if you use the 'off road' 100/90w H4 bulbs. The loom took a week to arrive.

Fitting is easy, took me no more than an hour from opening my tool box to tidying everything away again. I'm getting a nice healthy voltage at the bulbs now and shouldn't have to worry about the headlight switch failing when you least expect it.
Post #947606 31st Mar 2022 12:06pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
I was very surprised to find 65mm LEP lights are NLA, or only at ridiculous genuine LR prices.
There used to be a good supply of virtually new "take off" original lights at all of the bling fitter/ tuning companies.
Availability is slowly drying up, it's now 6 years since they had new vehicles to take parts off.

Rear stop/ tail lights are hardest to find, for some reason they fade badly on the exposed upper half of the lens.
I manged to get some a year ago from LR Motors, who handle Twisted's take off parts.

Slight scratches or discolouration can be removed by polishing with t-cut, worth a try if the lens is otherwise OK.

I don't think it's possible to fit a new lens to an old backing plate with the one piece moulded units.
Post #947609 31st Mar 2022 12:24pm
Ramsay

Scotland 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Auto Keswick Green
Try and have a look at headlamp rings on your vehicle. They and the screws tend to corrode. If they are bad already you can replace both with stainless steel alternatives for not very much. Same for the adjustment screws, they seem to be the same with or without auto adjuster. 1995 Defender 110 CSW
1971 SIIA Lightweight
Post #947621 31st Mar 2022 2:08pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
The ceramic H4 connectors are better to handle high heat, they shouldn’t be required on standard wattage headlights except for high wattage which is not within the legal wattage allowable.

Mine are plastic ones, as I was going to use LED anyway I didn’t see any benefit of using ceramic unless for 90 / 100w as mentioned which aren’t for road use.

Whilst plastic can melt, it shouldn’t unless wattage is outside of spec is used and ceramic can get brittle but each to their own choice. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #947622 31st Mar 2022 2:15pm
Gasket

That is wonderful info. Thank you all very much.

So, I think I have a final shopping list:

1) 4x complete Genuine LR/LEP clear indicator assemblies with bulbs - bought
2) 2x clear Hella side repeaters - bought - total so far £23.95
3) 1x landreiziger loom with plastic connectors - to buy £50 delivered https://shop.landreiziger.nl/lichtversterk...elais.html
4) 1x pair bog standard Wipac Crystals (no side light) - to buy from Paddocks £37.30 https://www.paddockspares.com/pm678-wipac-...ralia.html
5) 1x pair of Philips X-treme Vision 60/55w bulbs - to buy £9.99 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-872790035...&psc=1
6) 2x stainless headlamp bezel/ring with hardware - to buy £30.24 - https://www.paddockspares.com/bezel-headlamp-stainless.html

I already have a full set of stainless security lens screws ready to fit.

So, that'll be a nice cosmetic improvement to the later clear indicators as well as the look and improved lighting from the H4 crystals and reduced load on the vehicle's electrics - all using OEM or genuine lamps for less than £150 and an hour or so's work.
Post #947649 31st Mar 2022 7:38pm
Matt

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
I was amazed at the difference when I fitted the Wipac crystals and Philips X-Treme Vision bulbs, and I didn’t change the loom. Must be able to see double the distance at night and it’s a much cleaner bright light rather than the dreary yellow 15 plate 2.2SW XS
Post #947651 31st Mar 2022 7:56pm
JPE

Totally agree Matt, the difference is remarkable.
I had intended to fit a new loom, but I found there was no need because the wipac crystals made such an improvement. Incredible how poor the factory headlights are.
Post #947661 31st Mar 2022 11:03pm
Vitesse

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Hi JPE. I have the same setup with the crystals etc. However, in my opinion its still worth fitting the loom to reduce the overall current draw though the lighting switch circuit. In my own case I made one from scratch as i was fitting additional cabling for other reason but easy enough to fit the ones available commercially. Thumbs Up 2015 90 XS Santorini Black
Post #947683 1st Apr 2022 9:59am
custom90

United Kingdom 
The upgrade loom will improve performance further.

I know because I did a side by side comparison some years ago before I went LED. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #947739 1st Apr 2022 6:17pm
JPE

Thanks vitesse & custom90steve that’s interesting to read. I have a loom in the shed which I’ve never bothered to fit so I will give it a try.
Post #947749 1st Apr 2022 7:52pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
If you do, and you have a multimeter test voltage before and after across pins.

I remember I did it with mine and there was a difference.
And visually, you could actually see the difference side by side.
Something along the lines of 0.6v - 1.2v. Increase with loom fitted.
There will be less current draw, and also as mentioned before by other members the electrical load largely taken off the stalk.
That will improve its lifespan massively and vastly help in preventing it failing prematurely. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #947760 1st Apr 2022 8:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>