↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > A day in the life of Miffy the 110...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 30 of 60 <123 ... 293031 ... 585960>
Print this entire topic · 
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Hi Simon. It is a beautiful spot for sure. Amazing how much it has changed since the dune notches were dug back in 2014.
Post #966182 28th Sep 2022 5:37pm
8619simon

Wales 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
It certainly has, one of my favourite places. What was the purpose of the notching and felling?
Post #966191 28th Sep 2022 7:48pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
The notching and felling are two different projects. IIRC the felling was a PhD project about the effect of conifer plantations upon the water table.

The notching was a Sands of Life project that set out to return some of the dynamic sand dune habitat that has been missing for the last 80 years. By notching through the front wall of the dunes it was hoped that the beach and dune system would become dynamically connected once more. Which to some extent it has done and there has been a super rejuvenation of the natural sand dune flora and fauna (such as the sand lizard) as well.

This is a method that has now been spread across the various Welsh dune systems and some of the English ones as well, such as at Formby.

I have been involved with the Newborough Dunes project since the start and now Bangor University are continuing the annual surveys as part of their Ocean Sciences 2nd in to 3rd year field course. Thrilled to bits with that and the reason I was down there when I got a little stuck. Teaching students how to conduct laser scanning, GPS and UAV surveys.

Click image to enlarge

Sands of Life Project: https://naturalresources.wales/about-us/ou...e/?lang=en
Post #966201 28th Sep 2022 8:46pm
8619simon

Wales 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
Thank you so much for the detail and for the time to explain, I never really understood the reason behind the work before. It makes sense and in the last few years the habitat has changed so much, quite remarkable really the speed at which has changed and developed.

I can understand how much you must enjoy being involved……. Not a bad office!! 😀
Post #966216 28th Sep 2022 10:58pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Tyre Pressures - Difference between stuck and unstuck
Following on from the silly mistake I made in the sand the other week I thought this might be of interest to you all.

Ultimately the difference between continuing to be stuck in the sand (in fact digging deeper in to it) and being able to drive out of it was tyre pressures. We hear it al the time on YouTube etc. well when I parked up to re-inflate I noticed the gravel boards made a handy scale so here are the photos...

Excuse the dirt etc. She's just been through an ordeal Wink

Tyres are 285/75/16 (33"). Initial pressure was 16 psi then to highway pressures of 40 psi.

16 psi: 4x squares

40 psi: 2.3x squares

Nearly twice the footprint length. Turns out that makes a HUGE difference. Notice also the side wall bulge and how when partially buried in the sand the BFG side lugs come in to play for added traction.

Click image to enlarge
Post #966739 5th Oct 2022 11:38am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
So standard
and yet I really like how standard she looks, unimposing in fact Mr. Green

This was back in 2013 up on the Bardenas Reales plateau, southern Navarra. Such a beautiful place to go.

Click image to enlarge
Post #966890 6th Oct 2022 4:09pm
Dave12345

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Keswick Green
Just seen this, top effort in the recovery!

Also love it around there, a beautiful location.
Post #966955 6th Oct 2022 10:56pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Thanks Dave Thumbs Up It is a stunning location one of my favourites I think Bow down
Post #966972 7th Oct 2022 8:54am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
DRL controller and scene lights
Well, apparently at some point recently I bought a pair of 45 degree scene lights for Miffy. I can't remember doing so mind. Is that a sign of old age?!?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Quite impressed with them actually. The housing is all metal and they have a good 40cm of cable tail too. I am sure that I got them for additional reverse lights, to be fitted underneath the rear steps. But... Looking at them they'd also do very nicely up on the roof rack as scene lights...

What to do, what to do??? I guess the first step is to see how bright they are and their spread of light.

The other bit that arrived today, which I did remember ordering, is a new replacement DRL loom. The previous one died in less than 12 months, but it was cheaper than a loaf of bread and a pint of milk at current prices... The new loom is CHUNKY, weather sealed, has quality connectors and wire. Really quite impressed. Looking forward to having the DRLs back up and working properly and given the time of year the delayed off after the engine turns off. A useful feature here in the back-of-beyond Smile

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #968292 19th Oct 2022 12:32pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Right... Following on from my getting stuck and my winch failing me, today I dodged a few showers to investigate. The good news is that the winch is A-OK, as is the wiring, but the contour pack is utterly kaput...!

The culprit is a lack of a weather seal where the two halves of the plastic meet and importantly... One too many river crossings without that weather seal. So, an expensive mistake. A replacement is on order.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #969312 29th Oct 2022 6:28pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Winchmax...
Oh yes... Back in business now Smile

Delivery from Winchmax just arrived...

Click image to enlarge

One 600amp winch contractor pack. Importantly it is weather sealed Smile Does of silicone and a casket between the two halves. Maybe I could find a few minutes to fit it this afternoon between showers Smile

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #969627 1st Nov 2022 11:56am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Small Jobs Done
A couple of little wiring jobs completed this evening before it got too dark. The first was figuring out the error I made in the winch contractor wiring. Ended up being the low amperage side of the contractor: On this contractor the earth is the middle of the three small screws. An easy fix. All working as it should do.

Click image to enlarge

I did have to modify the mounting location a little as this contractor sat a little close to the wing. The solution was a pair of spacers to push the contractor pack closer to the engine. This will also reduce the amount of water dripping down off the wing as well.

I took the time to reel out and back in again to check the rope over for damage. It is now ready for Winter.

Click image to enlarge

The second little job was to tidy up the EGT probe wiring that I had looped and tied to a heater hose. It has now been trimmed and a proper connector added for future-roofing. That all works as it should do as well.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

That's about 60cm of wire removed... Smile
Post #969862 3rd Nov 2022 6:33pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Winter's coming... Again...
Well just a simple one today. The morning temps have gone way below 5 DegC here, so it is time to remove the viscous fan for the Winter.

Simple job only takes 3 or 4 minutes. Tools required are a Phillips screwdriver to remove/refit the fan cowl. The big fan spanners to twist the fan off (anti-clockwise). The fan is stored above the dog crate in the rear should it be needed. Which I highly doubt, well not until about May next year anyhow.

Click image to enlarge

Does it make much if a difference... Perhaps. The engine certainly warms up quicker and cools down slower and that's what matters.
Post #971355 16th Nov 2022 5:41pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Splashy Lane
Amazing amount of rain over he weekend. Just heavy persistent rain. Disgusting rain.

So the only thing to do is take a drive down a splashy lane...

...Of course... Mr. Green

Click image to enlarge
Post #971978 22nd Nov 2022 11:07am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
CTEK battery charger/maintainer
Carbon Copied from another post.

I have all of my accessories that need plugging in to a 12v supply running through Andersson PowerPole connectors. Basically mini andersson connectors of the traditional type you all know and love.

They work a treat, provide a very positive connection, simple and are easy to build in to your current accessories. I currently, oh dear, have the Waeco fridge/freezer, tyre pump, inverter and a few camp items with these connectors. This week however I adapted a CTEK charger to battery loom to include the PowerPole connectors so I can charge and maintain Miffy's twin batteries between journeys.

Click image to enlarge

Yes, the connectors are inside the vehicle, mounted in the rear of the cubby box, but chargers cable slips up and over the window under the wind deflector. If Miffy had a 12S tow socket then I would have run the charger through that, as I have done with the Freelander 2, but alas a different method is required and it works beautifully. Thumbs Up
Post #972115 23rd Nov 2022 11:14am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 30 of 60 <123 ... 293031 ... 585960>