↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > A day in the life of Miffy the 110...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 27 of 59 <123 ... 262728 ... 575859>
Print this entire topic · 
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Thanks Clayton.

I came downstairs this morning to find Ginger the cat also appreciates the new seat foam and restored covers Rolling with laughter

Click image to enlarge
Post #948744 9th Apr 2022 7:44am
L110CDL

England 
You must have done the job just right for Ginger to be nice and comfy on the seat Wink 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #949060 11th Apr 2022 8:19pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Laughing Consider it the official seal of approval Wink
Post #949146 12th Apr 2022 12:50pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Wright Off Road Mat - Cleaning
So, swapped out the drivers seat in Miffy this morning to refurb it. Before sticking in the passenger seat I tried to clean the Wright Off Road (WOR) mat underneath. You know the usual detritus that collects under the rails and down in those impossible to get to places, especially between the seat and the cubby box.

I have noticed that over the years the WOR mat has discoloured from grey to a weird green/brown colour. Not a desirable colour... Plus there is some staining from dirt.

You can see the extent of the staining in these photos, and yes this is after being wiped and scrubbed with a few cleaning products. NB: the lighter grey under the seat rails.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

So, the question is; Does anyone know of a good way to clean and possibly return the mat back to its nice grey colour?
Post #949337 14th Apr 2022 9:07am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Cleaning Leather in vehicle
Oh and the newly refurbished seat is wonderfully cushy... All soft, pliable and I dare say much more comfortable on long journeys Smile

Plus whilst in the cab I noticed that the Mota-lita steering wheel leather was looking a little grimy. So, out with the NAF leather soft soap. What an excellent product. Cleans, conditions and hydrates the leather back to black and supple. If you haven't cleaned your steering wheel recently then NAF is the stuff to use.

You can use the NAF soap on your seats etc as well.

https://millbryhill.co.uk/collections/eque...-soft-soap
Post #949338 14th Apr 2022 9:18am
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
My front seats are much better after the exmoor re-trim kit got fitted (along with heated seat elements)

How about sugar soap and a gentle scrubbing might remove the dirt and followed by some vinyl care type stuff? (or Naf soap?) 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #949339 14th Apr 2022 9:21am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Hi John. Good plan with the sugar soap. The NAF didn't work very well, but that might be down to the textured surface of the mats. Any scrubbing really only effects the top of the textured dimples. Thinking the next step is a nail brush or a brush attachment for the power drill... Gentle one though.

I did just find this by a company called the chemical guys https://www.chemicalguys.co.uk/product/630...fEEALw_wcB

Looks to be a good product and importantly doesn't include any silicone. Wondering if this plus the brushing might be the answer...
Post #949340 14th Apr 2022 9:37am
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
A nail brush would do the job followed by a damp cloth to remove any left over residue? 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #949343 14th Apr 2022 10:20am
kenzle8a

This stuff is meant to be pretty good (the cleaner and the protector) a number of folk I know swear by it for their boats.

https://www.303products.co.uk/product-category/marine/
Post #949344 14th Apr 2022 10:28am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Thanks Lord-H that 303 multi-surface cleaner looks perfect for the job. Thumbs Up
Post #949433 15th Apr 2022 8:01am
L110CDL

England 
When it comes to leather, i was always told to use saddle soap, keeps it supple and cleans it at the same time Very Happy

Not sure what to advise you on the WOR mat for cleaning, how often do you clean it ?

I do mine ( not WOR mat ) the same time as i clean the inside, at least once a month, i use warm water with a drop of fairy ( green only ) liquid in it and use a soft to firm brush to clean it of and then i use lots of Autoglym vinyl and rubber care, comes up like new Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #949494 15th Apr 2022 7:58pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Quote:
When it comes to leather, i was always told to use saddle soap, keeps it supple and cleans it at the same time Very Happy

Not sure what to advise you on the WOR mat for cleaning, how often do you clean it ?

I do mine ( not WOR mat ) the same time as i clean the inside, at least once a month, i use warm water with a drop of fairy ( green only ) liquid in it and use a soft to firm brush to clean it of and then i use lots of Autoglym vinyl and rubber care, comes up like new Very Happy

I have always cleaned the mat with a combination of soap and water and then Autoglym rubber and vinyl care. Perhaps not monthly as with yourself though Rolling Eyes but at least 4 good cleans with decent wipe downs inbetween.

I will give the nail brush and some elbow grease a go this weekend. See how it comes up Smile
Post #949558 16th Apr 2022 10:08am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Mechanical Dominoes - Brake caliper
I bet I am not the only one that took the Easter break to do some maintenance on their Defenders... Rolling Eyes

I started by refurbishing the drivers-side seat base including the heater element.

Click image to enlarge

I also thought it might be interesting for a difference photo between a clean but non-refurb'd seat cover and one that has been re-coloured

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

then blacked and waxed.

Click image to enlarge

Job 2 was replacing the brake servo and master cylinder as Both were showing signs of significant age and the amount of braking force seems to have kept up over the last 12 months or so. Turns out the MC was leaking from the front seal

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Also when undoing the rear most pipe union it leaked a very green fluid, no idea what that means...

Click image to enlarge

And some decent metal fragments when I drained the MC container

Click image to enlarge

And then installed and good to go...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Well.... Almost... After bleeding the brakes and taking Miffy for a shake down drive, leaving over night, the next morning the drivers-side caliper is now leaking fluid from the spacer between the two halves... Balls... Big Cry

The law of mechanical dominoes... So now it is replacement calipers that are needed... Rolling Eyes Act well...

Job 3 was to investigate a dry bearing at the front end of the engine. Turned out to be the fan pulley bearing, which irritatingly I only replaced a few years ago. There was no play in the bearing at all. So as a stop gap until I can get a replacement the bearing got a thorough cleaning and re-packing. Now pretty much all quiet again.

Job 4 was having a look at the Wright Offroad mat that has become stained. Raiding the household cleaning products I found some citrus cleaner, UPVC cleaner and some Meguires all purpose cleaner. The best of the lot was probably the Meguires with a decent bit of nail brushing and wiping off with a micro-fibre cloth.

From this

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

To this

Click image to enlarge

I think it looks almost brand new now, still needs a little effort but it is mostly grey again and the black staining has all but gone. Just have the rest of the mat to clean now Rolling Eyes Rolling with laughter Wonder if I could make this a "together wife and husband" activity Rolling with laughter

So, bit more cleaning required and a few new calipers now needed... Plus allllllll the other bits and jobs that are needed Rolling with laughter
Post #949828 19th Apr 2022 9:53am
L110CDL

England 
Nearly there with the matting, it's looking good now you have had a good go at it Wink

I'm thinking one step forward and two steps back, hope you get ahead of it Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #950192 22nd Apr 2022 9:34pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Honestly Clay it is a decent amount of elbow grease but given that I am often sat behind a desk writing something or other about coastal erosion at the moment it does provide moments of brain off activity during the day. Thumbs Up

Yup going with silver linings here Rolling with laughter

EDIT: Just to say that new calipers and thermostat on the way, so all braking and heating issues should be sorted next weekend... Rolling Eyes
Post #950215 23rd Apr 2022 9:52am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 27 of 59 <123 ... 262728 ... 575859>