↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > A day in the life of Miffy the 110...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 25 of 60 <123 ... 242526 ... 585960>
Print this entire topic · 
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Quote:
Geobloke, do you use Miffy for your geo (surveying?)? Do you have a full camp set up? How does it work? Any photos?

Hi Grenadier. I do indeed, she is often filled with all manner of geophysical, laser scanners, tripods, GNSS, sediment sampling equipment. Even the odd student from time to time.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

As for the camp setup, I usually do day trips so not often required. But if I have an early morning (0200 sort of thing) to catch low water I have been known to pull out the awning and bivvy underneath it. What is always in Miffy is the small kitchen box which has enough in it to brew coffee, make a hot meal, breakfasts and lunches.

It is amazing how little you need really. As long as I have warmth, shelter and food preparation equipment it is a highly functional and adaptable setup.

In the last few months I have been contemplating getting a roof tent mind you Rolling Eyes can't be helped. The only reason for not pulling the trigger on it is that with all the kick-back from the increase in "van lifers" since covid a roof tent is not exactly stealthy... Plus getting in to beach car parks would be almost impossible with all the height barriers that have been installed.

Tell you the truth it has been getting harder and harder to subtle places with which to park up, camp out before a survey. So, low key day trips is the way for now.
Post #935307 27th Dec 2021 6:38pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Great photos Geobloke, just stunning. And thanks for the summary. Sounds like a lovely job and as you say, the flexibility of the Defender is what makes it so great for jobs like yours.

Understand your thinking on the roof tent. I had considered one, but am now erring towards an Oztent, which is almost just as quick to set up, but with (IMHO) a couple of advantages. One, it allows me to set up camp and drive away. The second is (trying) to keep the roof height low for the motorway tolls. The fast lanes are set at 2m, so on the limit as it is, but a roof tent would make them impossible to use.

Glad you didn’t go into any detail about the ‘odd student’ that squeezes in to the 110 with all your kit though Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #935345 28th Dec 2021 8:32am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Quote:
Great photos Geobloke, just stunning. And thanks for the summary. Sounds like a lovely job and as you say, the flexibility of the Defender is what makes it so great for jobs like yours.

Understand your thinking on the roof tent. I had considered one, but am now erring towards an Oztent, which is almost just as quick to set up, but with (IMHO) a couple of advantages. One, it allows me to set up camp and drive away. The second is (trying) to keep the roof height low for the motorway tolls. The fast lanes are set at 2m, so on the limit as it is, but a roof tent would make them impossible to use.

Glad you didn’t go into any detail about the ‘odd student’ that squeezes in to the 110 with all your kit though Whistle

Yeah it works and generally keeps on working Whistle Well to be honest I am no longer employed having taken the opportunity during covid to get a postgraduate degree. So I am a student once more Thumbs Up The drop in income is by far and away the toughest part of this, but the intellectual stimulation and pseudo-freedom makes up for it.

I think that the ultimate Defender survey vehicle here in the UK would be one with a pop up roof camper. Low profile enough to get in places, but expandable for all season surveying. I confess to utterly loving the practical aspect of collecting data. It can be simply gorgeous, baking in heat or as with the start of December...

https://youtu.be/EBRX6qAB5nQ - I have surveyed in some incredibly remote places but this was just about as extreme (in the real sense of the word) as you'd like to get and still get the data. Crazy weather. The streaming stuff over the ground is not water but sand and it got everywhere... Shocked

I have an Ostend RV4 with all the trimmings and it is a fabulous tent. So quick to erect and stand erect within Shocked Brilliant as a base camp with which to strike out from. But, is a bulky ol thing for one person to set up for a quick kip. Actually I will be selling our OzTent in the New Year because we are having to downsize accommodations when we move house in the Spring/Summer. It will be a shame, but storage space is going to be at a premium. So back to my trusty two man tent for a while Thumbs Up
Post #935355 28th Dec 2021 10:28am
Grenadier

Great vid. Where’s that?

Do let me know on the Oztent when it comes to it. Might be interested. Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #935363 28th Dec 2021 11:02am
gcc130

We’ve discovered the closed Dormobile roof on our 110 has stopped us using many of the each car parks we can access in the 130 and have to research parking before trips🙁
Post #935364 28th Dec 2021 11:15am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Grenadier wrote:
Great vid. Where’s that?

Do let me know on the Oztent when it comes to it. Might be interested. Thumbs Up

Will do Grenadier Thumbs Up

That vid was taken at Formby Point back at the beginning of December this year. It is part of 12 monthly surveys (this was survey 7) spread across the southern Liverpool Bay to study the sediment dynamics of the region in relation to climatic forcing. It's a tall ask for one project, but you've got to start somewhere Rolling Eyes
Post #935367 28th Dec 2021 11:25am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
gcc130 wrote:
We’ve discovered the closed Dormobile roof on our 110 has stopped us using many of the each car parks we can access in the 130 and have to research parking before trips🙁

Well that's that plan scuppered then Rolling with laughter Plan B v2 is to go for a Dormobile setup but sat on air suspension that can be lowered to the bump stops to get in to places like this Thumbs Up

https://youtu.be/rKHfGosxnHI A tad steep but it would solve the height barrier problem Rolling Eyes

https://youtu.be/klgfJ3rNWG8

https://youtu.be/OGhDzkq2O1o

Honestly... It is a good solution, but a pipe dream for me at the moment.

EDIT. Access position is -50mm of standard height Smile That'd do to get in most places...
Post #935368 28th Dec 2021 11:34am
gcc130

Air suspension, now there’s food for thought.
Being based on a commercial our 110 sits very high, on heavy duty suspension.
From memory the top of the closed extractor fan is about 2.6m.

Click image to enlarge
Post #935370 28th Dec 2021 11:47am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Lovely Defenders Thumbs Up I am utterly envious of the pop up roof Rolling Eyes

Miffy with her roof rack sits at about the same height. 50mm drop on the suspension would get her in to almost every car park in the UK. Just... Whistle
Post #935373 28th Dec 2021 11:59am
gcc130

Sorry double post
Post #935374 28th Dec 2021 12:09pm
Grenadier

I like the idea of the pop roof, indeed there’s a very nice, very well (overland) spec’d pop tops that appears here each summer, but I don’t like the look. Messes with how I visualise them silhouette of the 110. Just looks wrong. But conceptually it makes so much sense. Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #935375 28th Dec 2021 12:10pm
Grenadier

gcc130 wrote:

Click image to enlarge

Great photo. I do look at it though, and wonder why everyone doesn’t want a DCPU. Nothing against yours GCC, but a DCPU……oooh. Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #935376 28th Dec 2021 12:12pm
gcc130

The double cab isn’t mine, parking rules applied at a beach car park in Norfolk😊
The couple with the double cab were swimming in the sea during a thunderstorm 😳
Post #935377 28th Dec 2021 12:14pm
gcc130

Grenadier wrote:
gcc130 wrote:

Click image to enlarge

Great photo. I do look at it though, and wonder why everyone doesn’t want a DCPU. Nothing against yours GCC, but a DCPU……oooh. Whistle

I do also own a double cab, not a 110 but a working 130😊
Post #935378 28th Dec 2021 12:16pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Seat Base Refurb
On to refurbing a seat base. This base has been chosen... Shocked mostly because it has the characteristic of burning ones buttocks when the heater is on Shocked

So the dismantle is really simple and there are many how to's out there to guide you all. I really have nothing much to add to them, but here are some images of what a 10 year old Puma seat base looks like under the cover;

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Well I think it is obvious why the seat heater was burning bums... That looks like rust has increased the resistance of the wire and hence the additional heat creation. So I think I will have to replace this element at the very least.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

As for the seat frame, it is in great shape. Just a little rust along the front channel. Nothing major. The scratches on the base are from using it to sit on whilst out and about. It is after all one of the super things about the Defender seats Smile Instant comfort Smile

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Whilst in this state might as well give the cover a good wash Shocked Blimey, that's one dirty cover and to think it has been Rug Doctored every few years or so... Someone in this family has a dirty bum... Mr. Green

Step one done...
Post #935519 29th Dec 2021 2:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 25 of 60 <123 ... 242526 ... 585960>