↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > A day in the life of Miffy the 110...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 24 of 60 <123 ... 232425 ... 585960>
Print this entire topic · 
geobloke

United Kingdom 
New Brake Lines
It's like Christmas just without the sprouts and wasted paper Smile

Click image to enlarge

And inside...

Click image to enlarge

Can you guess what it is yet????

Click image to enlarge

Oh yes... Full set of Cupronickel brake lines for the old girl. During this years MOT there was an advisory on the long chassis pipe and since I know the front caliper pipes are also looking a little sad I think this Christmas the Miffy deserves some new arteries...

I love flaring brake pipes, but I have stupidly lent my gear away and have not seen it since. Balls... I am really impressed by the quality of the flared ends, everyone is perfect and every line is numbered for ease of fitment.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

But all this has meant buying new tools and who doesn't just love buying new tools Smile

So the question is... What is the best way straighten the lines prior to bending?! Hmmm... Not sure, not sure... Maybe two pieces of wood with a notch cut in them with which to pull the pipe though and so straightening it... Whatever, it needs to be a clamp over solution because of the flared ends...

Any ideas folks?
Post #934100 18th Dec 2021 2:02pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
L110CDL wrote:
Can't beat the aga for indoor drying, nice set up Wink

lord-haggis wrote:
Or ironing, using the hoods to press sheets is rather nice, beats ironing. Nothing beats AGA toast either. My mums one is a near perfect colour match for Belize Greenss as well.

Sad fact both our Landys have colour matched the Agas

It is a strange thing but in this world of modern technology I get so much pleasure out of using two products that have their genesis in a period of ration books and a lack of lemons... The Defender and the Aga Rolling Eyes Great bits of British tech that are timeless...

I do love Aga toast and pancakes Mr. Green At this time of year Aga Stollen... Blooming delicious Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #934101 18th Dec 2021 2:08pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Brake pipe Key Diagram.
For reference this is the label numbering key diagram for a Defender 110 TD5 2003 non-ABS with proportioning valve.

Click image to enlarge
Post #934114 18th Dec 2021 3:55pm
v8bob

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
Re: New Brake Lines
geobloke wrote:
It's like Christmas just without the sprouts and wasted paper Smile

Click image to enlarge

And inside...

Click image to enlarge

Can you guess what it is yet????

Click image to enlarge

Oh yes... Full set of Cupronickel brake lines for the old girl. During this years MOT there was an advisory on the long chassis pipe and since I know the front caliper pipes are also looking a little sad I think this Christmas the Miffy deserves some new arteries...

I love flaring brake pipes, but I have stupidly lent my gear away and have not seen it since. Balls... I am really impressed by the quality of the flared ends, everyone is perfect and every line is numbered for ease of fitment.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

But all this has meant buying new tools and who doesn't just love buying new tools Smile

So the question is... What is the best way straighten the lines prior to bending?! Hmmm... Not sure, not sure... Maybe two pieces of wood with a notch cut in them with which to pull the pipe though and so straightening it... Whatever, it needs to be a clamp over solution because of the flared ends...

Any ideas folks?

You can straighten them easily just using your hands.
Post #934123 18th Dec 2021 5:18pm
matchap801

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
Hi. Who did you get the brakes pipes from? I am after a set for my Puma and looking for some decent quality but reasonably priced ones. Thanks. Matthew
Post #934139 18th Dec 2021 7:40pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
v8bob wrote:

You can straighten them easily just using your hands.

Yes you are right, but I was pondering on a better way to actually get them straight rather than the usual DIY way by hand that inevitable leaves the pipe wavy… I expect this is what will happen but as a DIY thought experiment I am curious is all…
Post #934145 18th Dec 2021 8:14pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
matchap801 wrote:
Hi. Who did you get the brakes pipes from? I am after a set for my Puma and looking for some decent quality but reasonably priced ones. Thanks. Matthew

Hi Mathew. I got them off this guy (Rowan) on eBay. He does a whole load of different classic cars. If you cannot find what you are looking for drop him a message and he will direct you to the item you need.

You can find him here: [url] https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Defe...58-0[/url]
Post #934146 18th Dec 2021 8:16pm
matchap801

Brake Lines.
Brilliant thank you. I will drop him a message. They are needed for the MOT in March so slowly going through the list.

3 steering ball joint and drop arm ball joint done this weekend - what a nightmare! A-Frame ball joint also needed.

I really wasn’t looking forward to buying all the bits and flaring kit and doing all at home 👏
Post #934149 18th Dec 2021 8:39pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Brake pipe Pliers and Red Rubber Grease
Another bit of the puzzle arrived this morning... A pair of pliers and some grease Rolling Eyes No it is not time for the annual pedicure. Rolling Eyes

These are a fantastic tool to have in your toolbox for quick brake pipe adjustments or tight bends Thumbs Up The only thing is that they are not made for lady hands, the designers of these pliers assume at least gorilla sized hands. Nevertheless they are fab.

The other bit is the rubber grease for the rebuilding of the callipers and replacing the brake pipes. Good fun.

Wonder if I can borrow a barn for a weekend to get this job done... Rolling Eyes
Post #934654 22nd Dec 2021 12:12pm
matchap801

Indeed. So many different types out there. What is confusing me is whether the flared ends are single, double, ISO, DIN or whatever else. All appear to be a little different 🙈🤯🤹‍♀️
Post #934669 22nd Dec 2021 1:39pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Merry Christmas from Miffy
A belated Merry Christmas from Miffy and myself.

This Christmas Miffy received some super bits courtesy of my in Laws. I think they may understand me Rolling with laughter Bow down

From my brother in law Miffy got a new seat base foam which is the first bit of the seat refurb. There is some "discussion" whether this base should be put towards the passengers (Wife) or the drivers comfort... Something about gentlemanliness or something Smile

Then from the Mother on law came these items, good ol British toilet humour including a couple of knobs Rolling with laughter

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I am rather chuffed with these. The quirkiness of the pseudo-historic looking gear knobs will match the overdrives knob rather well.

As for the bog roll holder. Excellent Smile I spend at least 1/4 of my month away and off the beaten track and up until now have gotten by with a trusty old ziplock bag. This is a little smarter, but is it damp resistant enough??! that's the question...

The only downside tot he bog roll bag is the lack of space for matches... Hmmm going to need a cylindrical match holder i think to fit inside the roll...

Obviously, it wouldn't be complete without an Emergency Roll in danger red paper :rofl:

Wonderful gifts Smile
Post #935109 26th Dec 2021 11:01am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Have you already straightened the brake pipe?
The normal way of straightening coiled material is to pass it through at least 3 rollers. Just 2 blocks of wood clamped over the pipe might not be enough because of material spring back. What you could try is a piece of plywood ( clamped to a solid work bench) to which you clamp 3 smaller blocks of wood in a triangular pattern. The block of wood at the apex should be adjusted such that when you pull the end of the pipe, you get a straight pipe. Over adjusting will bend it the other way so you might have to do some trial and error until you are happy with the result. You would probably have to lubricate the wooden blocks (or ideally use pulleys as the rollers). 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #935174 26th Dec 2021 6:50pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Mud Stuff Gear Knobs
Well it had to be done eventually, so here they are the Christmas knobs courtesy of Mud Stuff.

Before and standard LR:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

After:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #935294 27th Dec 2021 4:33pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Dinnu wrote:
Have you already straightened the brake pipe?
The normal way of straightening coiled material is to pass it through at least 3 rollers. Just 2 blocks of wood clamped over the pipe might not be enough because of material spring back. What you could try is a piece of plywood ( clamped to a solid work bench) to which you clamp 3 smaller blocks of wood in a triangular pattern. The block of wood at the apex should be adjusted such that when you pull the end of the pipe, you get a straight pipe. Over adjusting will bend it the other way so you might have to do some trial and error until you are happy with the result. You would probably have to lubricate the wooden blocks (or ideally use pulleys as the rollers).

Not yet. That is a job for a drier day. It hasn't stopped drizzling for over a week now Rolling Eyes

I have thought about two pieces of wood with a groove for the pipe to pass through. Worth a try, what could possibly go wrong Rolling Eyes
Post #935296 27th Dec 2021 4:37pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Re: Merry Christmas from Miffy
geobloke wrote:
A belated Merry Christmas from Miffy and myself.

This Christmas Miffy received some super bits courtesy of my in Laws. I think they may understand me Rolling with laughter Bow down

From my brother in law Miffy got a new seat base foam which is the first bit of the seat refurb. There is some "discussion" whether this base should be put towards the passengers (Wife) or the drivers comfort... Something about gentlemanliness or something Smile

Then from the Mother on law came these items, good ol British toilet humour including a couple of knobs Rolling with laughter

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I am rather chuffed with these. The quirkiness of the pseudo-historic looking gear knobs will match the overdrives knob rather well.

As for the bog roll holder. Excellent Smile I spend at least 1/4 of my month away and off the beaten track and up until now have gotten by with a trusty old ziplock bag. This is a little smarter, but is it damp resistant enough??! that's the question...

The only downside tot he bog roll bag is the lack of space for matches... Hmmm going to need a cylindrical match holder i think to fit inside the roll...

Obviously, it wouldn't be complete without an Emergency Roll in danger red paper :rofl:

Wonderful gifts Smile

Geobloke, do you use Miffy for your geo (surveying?)? Do you have a full camp set up? How does it work? Any photos? Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #935297 27th Dec 2021 4:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 24 of 60 <123 ... 232425 ... 585960>