↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > A day in the life of Miffy the 110...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 14 of 60 <123 ... 131415 ... 585960>
Print this entire topic · 
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Ok I have just been checking which relays are which and these are they:

Fuel pump relay (yellow): YWB000150
Main relay (yellow): YWB000150
Glow plug relay (black): AMR3773 or YWB500220

The glow plug relay has two part numbers because the same relay was used for the Disco 2 air compressor pump.

It is also worth saying that having just been through the rest of the LR relays on my 19 year old and 219k mile Defender, they all show signs of the same eroding of the electrode. I advise people go and check there's too.

Incidentally, since cleaning the electrodes the other day I have not had any trouble starting the old girl up, first turn of the key. So fingers crossed the relays are the culprit.
Post #910598 3rd Jul 2021 12:57pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
TD5 Defender 110 fuel tank breather pipe
Ok for future reference:

Rubber flexible pipe is ID: 6mm OD:11mm 2.5mm wall thickness.
    Solid pipe is ID: 5mm OD: 8mm

I removed the damaged portion of the pipe and remembered I have fixed this before... See amalgamating tape repair... What was also interesting was the vast amount of detritus inside the rubber pipe, almost blocked with dirt, very much hoping that it didn't make it backwards in to the tank.

The breather works perfectly and the solid pipe is in great condition Smile

Anyway all cleaned up and new pipe on the way...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #910613 3rd Jul 2021 3:16pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
So here is what I did to retro-fit the R380 gearbox cooler thermostat housing. My Defender, being a UK spec model did not come with an oil cooler for the R380, probably because temperatures in the UK do not often get hot enough... right...!? Fast forward a number of years and the gearbox chucked out it's 5th gear and layshaft. Heavy duty bearings my arse... Rolling Eyes

So I had Miffy transported home on the back of a flatbed and as we had just gone in to the first of the UK's lockdown periods I decided to strip and rebuild the gearbox myself. Quite an experience and well worth doing. The thing that I noticed was that the internals of the gearbox were black, and the oil was not a pretty colour neither. This was the point at which I thought since I am rebuilding this gearbox I may as well do what I can to protect it. It took a while to figure it out but these are the parts I sourced for the job;

Single pass alloy oil cooler
    Gearbox thermostat adapter FTC2687
    x2 Male AN8 to M20x1.5 adapter
    x2 M20 Dowty washers
    x4 AN8 (female) to hose
    2x 90 deg 3/8" NPT to AN8 (male) adapter
    2x 90 deg AN8 (female) to AN8 (male) adapter
    AN8 braided hose
    Selection of rivnuts, bolts and washers

The reason I went for the Land Rover adapter over the Ashcroft one is that it includes a thermostatic valve which here in the UK would probably be best, or at least that is my view. I went for the solid alloy cooler over a radiator style cooler because it is more robust. I would have loved a double pass alloy cooler but alas they are hard to come by.

The only adaptation I had to do was remove about 1/3 of the M20 thread off the AN8 to M20 adapter then it fits perfectly in to the FTC2687 adapter. After that it is just a case of situating the cooler and running pipes to it. I chose to situate the cooler under the nearside footwell panel as it is safe and out of the way of mud slinging etc. If I feel the cooler is not getting enough airflow i will move it to another more exposed position. I did think behind the steering guard under the bumper as a second choice.

Ten months on and it is working perfectly. On a normal easy drive around home and to the shops the thermostat does not open and the cooler remains cool. But when the vehicle is heavily laden and/or on a long haul (motorways etc.) the thermostat definitely opens and the cooler gets hot to the touch.

Was it worth the effort...? Time will tell... Rolling Eyes All I know is that here in the UK the R380 mated to a Defender 110 TD5 with a remap and on 33" tyres definitely gets hot enough to warrant the addition of the cooler.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #911053 6th Jul 2021 8:28pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Jeez’o you’ve been busy!
Post #911054 6th Jul 2021 8:35pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
As ever Co1 as ever Laughing

This was actually done last summer during that long lockdown where we didn't go anywhere. Just not posted much about it.
Post #911108 7th Jul 2021 9:23am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
It's Miffy present day today Smile Thank you Mr Postman....

This weekend I will be whipping out the injectors and replacing the seals and most importantly re-setting the tappets. Then oil, filters and injector harness.

What is even more important is that the new relays have arrived Smile These will replace all the LR original relays that have seen way to many activations, see above post. It is encouraging to note that the starting problem has not raised its ugly head since cleaning the contacts. Fingers crossed that the fly wheel positioning sensor wiring is not the problem. Incidentally if you are having the above problem then opening up the relay, cleaning the contacts and replacing works a treat, but is obviously not a long-term solution. It's get you home though.

Also in the post is a length of pipe to replace the fuel tank breather pipe that perished in the rear wheel arch. Fun times ahead Smile

Click image to enlarge

One last thing, the Smith and Allan oils are superb and are a great company to deal with 100% satisfaction here.
Post #911158 7th Jul 2021 12:08pm
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
I got my R380 gear oil from them. Smile 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #911170 7th Jul 2021 12:33pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Quote:
I got my R380 gear oil from them. Smile

Super stuff, reasonably priced and delivered to your door. What is not to like Smile

For me they also do a Roverdrive Overdrive compatible API GL4 75/90 oil for the LT230 and it is Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #911178 7th Jul 2021 12:42pm
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
The garage did an oil change for me on the gearbox and when its cold, 2nd gear is a bit awkward to get(like it's blocking) but prior to oil change it was fine - then I had S&A oil in.
So I have ordered new S&A oil and need to time to go underneath and drain it. 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #911180 7th Jul 2021 12:45pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
I understand that John. Never completely happy with multi-grade oils, just seems too good to be true. One oil to rule them all Rolling Eyes

More than likely one oil that isn't great at any applications, just OK at some... and easier...
Post #911182 7th Jul 2021 12:53pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Sheared Rocker Bolt
There aren’t enough expletives in the world to describe this 🙈

The last time someone worked on Miffy they did a head gasket after a skim. It looks like in rebuilding the top end they have used masses of thread lock and over torqued the rocker bolts. So Flippin’ annoyed, just wanted to sort out the injector seals… 🤬

Click image to enlarge

Now what the heck do I do…

Has this happened to anyone else, what’s the procedure?
Post #911782 10th Jul 2021 2:47pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
On closer inspection it look like the bolts were not replaced when the head was put back on. A lesson here folks regarding re-using bolts in engines... Rolling Eyes
Post #911806 10th Jul 2021 6:27pm
Pacha

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Re: Sheared Rocker Bolt
geobloke wrote:
There aren’t enough expletives in the world to describe this 🙈

The last time someone worked on Miffy they did a head gasket after a skim. It looks like in rebuilding the top end they have used masses of thread lock and over torqued the rocker bolts. So Flippin’ annoyed, just wanted to sort out the injector seals… 🤬

Click image to enlarge

Now what the heck do I do…

Has this happened to anyone else, what’s the procedure?

I was just going to suggest they had re-used the old bolts.

Censored poor workmanship.

I suspect the only option is the head off TBH. Big Cry Rgds.

Chris
Post #911808 10th Jul 2021 6:33pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Yup got me a little worried whether they re-used the head bolts as well... Rolling Eyes

What a PITA eh?! and an expensive oil change at that Rolling with laughter Such is life.

I am tempted to get a stud extractor a go, but am well aware that one of those sheared on the bolt is twice the PITA. One like this:

[url]https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/screw-extractors/7108959/?cm_mmc=UK-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-PLA_UK_EN_Hand_Tools_Whoop-_-Screw+Extractors_Whoop+(2)-_-7108959&matchtype=&aud-828197004210:pla-341279429425&gclid=Cj0KCQjwiqWHBhD2ARIsAPCDzanvyrLfraiCo_ibZye_J4Tj9BMwAAIzKPsWlXqccNlkXdLPUaCwVMwaAnQDEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds[/url]

Not a conical style extractor so it won't balloon the stud jamming it in place. Still. It is risky... The worst case, the utter worst case is of course a new head but we have a way to go yet before that... Shocked
Post #911809 10th Jul 2021 7:06pm
kenzle8a

Longest left handed drill but you can find. It wont expand the stud and has a greater chance of winding it out without damage
Post #911811 10th Jul 2021 7:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 14 of 60 <123 ... 131415 ... 585960>