↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > A day in the life of Miffy the 110...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 15 of 60 <123 ... 141516 ... 585960>
Print this entire topic · 
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Quote:
Longest left handed drill but you can find. It wont expand the stud and has a greater chance of winding it out without damage

I think this might be step one Thumbs Up With some sort of drill guide. The dead has been done now so got to continue... Rolling Eyes
Post #911881 11th Jul 2021 10:56am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
In other less destructive news from yesterday...

The fuel tank breather has been repaired and the relays that control the fuel pump, glow plugs etc have also been replaced. I opened all the relays up and 1 out of six was in passable condition. The rest all showed pitted and worn electrodes. Definitely worth checking.

And lastly, just before I broke a rocker shaft bolt the old girl turned 220k miles Smile

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #911896 11th Jul 2021 12:00pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
So doing a little recon on what to do next with the head. I have contacted an engineer about removing the sheared bolt (maybe bolts once the other 5 are out). I am not sure whether the head is going to require a skim, mind you considering Miffy's head has already been skimmed (+/- 24 months ago) I am do not think that is possible again...

So, assuming that he head should be skimmed and cannot be again the options become limiting. Source a good second hand later model head or go the whole hog and speak to Turners about an AMC head...

The latter is more costly up-front, but might be the more prudent option longer-term. What to do, what to do...

Full AMC replacement looks to run to £1665 inc VAT and P&P... Rolling Eyes
Post #912013 12th Jul 2021 11:06am
L110CDL

England 
I feel so sorry for you with this Censored moment, my heart sank when i saw the sheared bolt Sad

The only bit of wisdom i can offer you is that if you go down the Turner route, you will not be disappointed Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #912267 13th Jul 2021 9:44pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Quote:
I feel so sorry for you with this Censored moment, my heart sank when i saw the sheared bolt Sad

The only bit of wisdom i can offer you is that if you go down the Turner route, you will not be disappointed Very Happy

Hi Clay. Thanks mate it has been an expensive day so far today. I have removed the rocker shaft and begin the strip down this evening...

Four sheared rocker shaft bolts... Four... Rolling Eyes They were so incredibly tight. The first bolt is still sitting up on my desk.

Click image to enlarge

The injector bolts were also incredibly tight, I was sure they were going to all shear off as well. They didn't. but it was a close thing, really close. You all know how a bolt feels just before it shears... Shocked

Next step is to drain the coolant (time for a flush perhaps Rolling Eyes ), unplug the glow plugs, drain the fuel, dig out the AC fan loom which for some reason is wound through the arms of the intake manifold, then it is one to the BIG Censored holding the head on... Shocked Shocked

Please please pretty please come out ok...

As for the head gasket I noticed that there is a 1 hole on at the moment (and since the head was skimmed in 2017) but scrolling back through photos Miffy had a 2 hole from the factory. So head skimmed and garage upped the thickness of the gasket by one thickness to accommodate the loss of head material in the skimming process. Good to know. I have ordered a 1 and 2 hole gasket and will measure the piston protrusion once the head is off.

The 2017 gasket change was a head gasket failure, this time around it is a clutch of sheared bolts...

For those who are interested the order of thickness with TD5 head gaskets goes 2, 1 and then 3. Thinest to thickest. Completely logical Rolling Eyes

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #912571 15th Jul 2021 8:27pm
L110CDL

England 
I have everything crossed for you when you tackle the head bolts Wink 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #912575 15th Jul 2021 8:44pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Think I may need it... Plan B... What would Plan B be if they resist removal Rolling Eyes Shocked
Post #912579 15th Jul 2021 8:57pm
L110CDL

England 
Can't help you with the plan B but there would be a lot of this Censored Censored Censored

I do hope they all play ball for you Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #912585 15th Jul 2021 9:11pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Thanks Clay. I am sure they will put up a fight and if they do, well after a lot of censored language and the feeling of dropping your guts a Plan B will make itself known I am sure... Perhaps a V8... Rolling with laughter
Post #912588 15th Jul 2021 9:22pm
L110CDL

England 
You just never know how these things will turn out, hope it's still a Td5 for you Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #912599 15th Jul 2021 9:56pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
geobloke wrote:
Think I may need it... Plan B... What would Plan B be if they resist removal Rolling Eyes Shocked

Beer. Helped out massively in my recent AC install!
Post #912620 16th Jul 2021 6:03am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Right then, parts are arriving thick and fast. Well Turners are, LRDirect are being a little slower.

This weekend is going to be glorious so all hands to the pumps, make hey whilst he sun shines etc etc etc... Just figuring out how to get the head off and on again without a crane...

...must have Weetabix for breakfast Smile
Post #912686 16th Jul 2021 2:56pm
L110CDL

England 
3 or more Weetabix will be a big help with the head removal Wink 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #912731 16th Jul 2021 8:48pm
donmacn

geobloke wrote:
Perhaps a V8... Rolling with laughter

Then when the time comes you'll have two sets of grumpy Censored head bolts to deal with!

Having four rocker bolts shear is hard to believe, isn't it? Someone had obviously never heard of a torque wrench!

I did the heads on my V8 (RR P38) last month. Not something I'm used to tbh so I was a little beyond my comfort zone. As luck would have it, the first, and most awkward to access head bolt was a pain. The head just rounded away Crying or Very sad .

I ended up getting some cobalt drills and using progressively wider bits, taking the head off the bolt. For the rest, I have a pretty meaty impact driver. Before tackling each head bolt with a 600mm breaker bar, and a hollow tube extension, I rattled away at it with the gun. I don't think it did a lot, but maybe generated some heat which might have helped. Even with what must have been about a 1 metre lever, they took a fair bit of grunt to shift - as you say, at the scary stage when you think something's going to break.

On the rebuild, I really didn't fancy stretchy head bolts, so I went for ARP studs and nuts. Probably not available for a TD5 though? A breeze to use.

You also wondered if a head could be skimmed a secnd time. Again, I don't specifically know about a TD5, but the RR heads were skimmed - they only took off 3 thou' and I think that could be done 2 or 3 times. There's some sort of maximum but that's beyond my techy knowledge.

Good luck when the time comes. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #912732 16th Jul 2021 8:57pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Well it is scorchio out there today. Great day to do this engine work. All went exceptionally well today. The most important thing is that the head bolts came out with a creak and some fingers crossed. The head is loose that’s the important thing. Just waiting on my neighbour for a little grunt work to get the head off then it’s all go tomorrow for the rebuild.

Have to say I miss having a garage to work in, but thanks to the Aluminet I was able to work most of the day without getting crispy fried Shocked

Some interesting things, wear on the timing tensioner, gasket sealer debris in the hydraulic lifters and most annoyingly the glow plug connectors have perished to destruction… I know Nakatenenga do a kit to replace them but at £100 that’s just a step too far for a piece of wire and a plug Rolling Eyes

So hear are some images of the operating theatre:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge