↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Corrosion Prevention Guide!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 73 of 84 <123 ... 727374 ... 828384>
Print this entire topic · 
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
Would Lanoguard work?
Post #945483 11th Mar 2022 10:51pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Was thinking that might be a bit temporary and not that "strong" a coating? Never used it before really.
Post #945484 11th Mar 2022 10:59pm
Mossberg

Possibly have to give it another squirt every 6 months or so, but at least it won't peel or flake. You also apply a little more in particular areas where you think it needs it.

I am just using it on my truck for the first time. I didn't want to use the thicker or darker products as I want to keep my eye on the state of the chassis (as its an old one).

I can't say how good it is as I only used it for the first time last week.

I bought the kit that has the grease with it and I have covered my brake pipe and fittings with that.
Post #945485 11th Mar 2022 11:31pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Dinitrol 4010 Corroheat is both clear and very effective. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #945495 12th Mar 2022 7:57am
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Cheers, for 20 quid a can that seems worth a shout if it saves the reservoir hoses and means they can be serviced in the future.
Post #945615 13th Mar 2022 11:17am
danoid

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could advise me.

First off I do not have a defender unfortunately, but have some rusting issues on a fiat 500.

The rear beam is flakey and rusty, so reading on here it seems Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80 or Dinitrol rc800 (which is best?)

Then dinitrol 4941, can this be sprayed into a jug then painted on with a brush?

I understand there’s other steps to do like wax the chassis inside, but I’ll be doing this on the drive and want to do it the lazy way as I’ll be on my back and car not that high in the air.

My plan of action will be remove flakey stuff, use hydrate 80/dinitrol rc800, then spray/brush dinitrol 4941 and hopefully done.

I’m guessing dinitrol 4941 dries to a hard finish and not something where it’ll remain tacky and transfer onto everything weeks later?

Many thanks
Post #947314 28th Mar 2022 6:03pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Apologies, I did not see these posts;

Mossberg, use Dinitrol Corroheat clear, not Lanoguard;

Danoid,use Dinitrol RC900 then 4941, is not tacky.

E.g this is done in Corroheat clear.

Click image to enlarge

This 4941.

Click image to enlarge

This is something different.

Click image to enlarge
Post #948290 6th Apr 2022 8:23am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mossberg

Hi Zagato,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. You recommend Dinatrol Corroheat over Lanoguard for that application and I wonder what you would recommend for the following;

My chassis is 30 years old. It looks sort of OK appart from some areas (dumb irons, bulkhead outriggers, rear crossmember). Due to its age I want to be able to inspect it on a semi-regular basis and for that reason I have used Lanoguard. My thoughts on this are it is clear, thin, and hopefully removable via brake cleaner/thiners/acetone etc so I can weld where required. I know you probably never have to deal with a chassis in my condition, but your corrosion protection knowledge seems extensive, so your opinion would be very helpful - so for a chassis like mine that I want to be able to see the steel under the protective coating, would you recommend lano, corroheat, or something else?

Also, the outriggers I have ready to fit are bare mild steel. The ones already on the truck have already been replaced at some stage and they already need replacing. I can't comment on the environment my truck has been used in before, but it seams the main culprit of rust is delaminating paint holding water against the steel. So with this in mind, do you have an opinion of whether to paint the steel or use corrosion protection directly to the steel?

One final question. I am currently ready to fit a refurbished rear axle casing. I have removed rust via electrolysis, then phosphoric acid, jet washed, final wire brushing before degreasing then 2x Bonda Rust Primer and a top coat. What treatment would you recommend on thus? The old axle casing had suffered mainly around the spring and shock mounts, but in particular the bump stop plates (one flipped off when trying to clear the old mud from it). I was going to use the thick Lanoguard grease in these points, then normal Lanoguard over the main casing, but agai, your opinion and advice would be greatly received.

Many thanks for your help.

Mick

PS - Zagato, your work looks fantastic. It seams you have transformed your work into an art-form!
Post #949323 14th Apr 2022 6:39am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Hi Mick, sounds like your doing a thorough job Thumbs Up

The pitfalls of Lanoguard is widely discussed over social media BUT the advertising still sucks people in. It's a bit like Buzzweld/Raptor products were 'the trendy thing' a year or so ago (Rock hard products trapping in rust underneath). Lanoguard is largely a glue (content specs on this thread a few pages back) over a time the thin layer of glue just bubbles, delaminates from the surface and leaves a rough mess that is a sod to get off. Not practical over a whole chassis. Lanoguard has been around for a while and isn,t effective for other uses it is advertised for such as putting on boat props to keep weed off. If you have a product you want to sell it in as many markets as possible of course.

Dinitrol Corroheat as I have said repeatedly over the years on this thread is superb stuff, good for new cars, classics, etc where you want an effective, smart finish that you can see through which was one of your wants. It is opaque, see previous pictures as an example.

Not sure regarding your axle if you need anything on top If you have already painted a top coat on it BUT if you think there maybe areas to protect, once again use Corroheat if you want to see underneath or 4941 matt black finish Dinitrol.

Good luck 😉
Post #949342 14th Apr 2022 10:10am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Couple of rare beasts in Cool

Mint Mazda RX7 (rare RHD version)

Click image to enlarge

Integrali

Click image to enlarge
Post #950577 26th Apr 2022 6:50am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Love an Intergrale, my god father had one and it was SO quick! Thumbs Up James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #950596 26th Apr 2022 8:47am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
The Integrali was great fun Cool and good now it's all back together Very Happy

Something completely different in at the moment Cool

Click image to enlarge

And I shall really enjoy working on this over the next couple of weeks Thumbs Up sensitive improvement, swapping rusty bits out, hand spraying/painting localised parts, getting paint off the galvanise bits etc. It has already been mechanically overhauled for a trip down through Portugal.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #951167 1st May 2022 7:47am
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Very nice indeed.
Post #951170 1st May 2022 8:05am
dainger

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
This is amazing! Originally written over 10 years ago yet finding it today had made my year! Great coverage. Thanks for writing.
Post #951612 4th May 2022 9:22pm
MussEd

Scotland 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Baltic Blue
Here’s a quick corrosion prevention question - what would people recommend to use on brand new door mirror arms to prevent paint flaking off again in a few months? (Don’t say the billet versions as I couldn’t talk myself into spending that much over a £10 item)
Post #951617 4th May 2022 9:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 73 of 84 <123 ... 727374 ... 828384>