Home > My Defender > SKIP'S 90110 Diary
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 6 <123456
Print this entire topic · 
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello All

Jammed Rear Wiper
We've had an unexpected consequence of swapping round (and unifying) the Tyres on my wife's 110.
The Spare Tyre has now jammed the rear wiper towards the top of its sweep... so something has to change to resolve this.

It appears that a standard Landrover Defender SVX Dual Alloy Wheel with a Continental 235 / 85 R16
fitted doesn't quite work. The Rear Wiper Arm is 'standard'... this may have been covered elsewhere on D2N but either I have to bring the Spare Wheel forward 'enough' or achieve this with a combination of both the Spare Wheel and Wheel Carrier moving further from the Rear Door... or fit a bespoke Spare Wheel Carrier.

Anyone have any thoughts / experience of this... Question

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Thanks... SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #986852 26th Mar 2023 11:00am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Have you got the large flat hex nuts fitted that allow you to limit how far back the wheel goes? The only picture I have to hand is on my swingaway carrier but they should be standard on the standard bracket:

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #986854 26th Mar 2023 11:11am
X4SKP

Hello LRA

Darren you have identified the issue... Thumbs Up

Both my 90 and this 110 came without these 'adjustable spacers' on the Spare Wheel 'bracket'.

Click image to enlarge

I need to source a set, as a look in my workshop has revealed I haven't had these and forgotten
(which I'm taking as good thing), but as soon as I saw your photo I knew you had 'guessed' it right
thank you. SKIP
Post #986894 26th Mar 2023 4:09pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Heh, heh, at least it's a nice easy solution Smile Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #986936 26th Mar 2023 8:05pm
X4SKP

Hello All

Easy to source the Spare Wheel Carrier Spacers at around £20 (+P&P in most cases).

But went down the DIY Route with X3 High Density Nylon Washers 55OD 16DIA Hole / 8mm Thick.
Rear Wiper / Tyre Clearance is returned... Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 SKIP
Post #987040 27th Mar 2023 5:10pm
X4SKP

Hello All

Couple of 'quick' jobs that got completed as a result of a pre-MOT inspection.

OME Steering Damper
An impulse purchase really last year when I was pursuing a 'faint' Steering Wobble at 55mph which ultimately was solved by a all round tyre swap and re-balancing, my guess is that after 8 years and 50K mileage on my old set of Copper Zeon's they had become un-balanced...slightly.

Looking around I spotted this... Shocked

Click image to enlarge

Clearly this OME Damper had failed with Oil present on both the Damper lower end and the Steering Guard. No idea how long, or bad this is, as there were no effects noticed when driving.

Click image to enlarge

Off with the OME and luckily I had held on to the original, which is 7 years old and has covered 45K
mileage. Contacted the seller for this OME Damper, provided proof of purchase (9 months old) and
a full refund was issued, together with the claim 'this is very rare in our experience'

Click image to enlarge

Thought i'd paint the OEM Damper before refitting... Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Steering Ball Joints
Whilst generally pulling on stuff that shouldn't have any play, I noticed just the beginning of movement in the Steering Track Rod Ball Joint. I had remembered a comment from an MOT inspector previously that if a Ball Joint has a hole in the thread to accept a Split Pin, one must be fitted. My 90 has SS Nyloc Nuts on all 3 Steering Ball Joints, these Ball Joints typically have OEM Castellated Nuts and a Split Pin. My 90 came to me at 3 years old and 6K on the clock, I have never changed the Ball Joints.

I had a look at my Wifes 110 and it is 'as it should be' (Castellated Nuts and Split Pins).

So phoned Land Rover Parts at my local Dealer to be told that they now no longer supply these Ball Joints... Exclamation
Is that really true... Question So plan B was via my Independent...

Click image to enlarge

One Steering Track Rod BJ / RH Tread and Two Drag Link BJ's / RH and LH Threads

Click image to enlarge

Thes BJ' are similar but different to the OEM so you can't just count exposed screw threads and swap over to keep all the set up as before, so I measured... as accurately as I could before removing the Track Rod Arm and Drag Link.

Click image to enlarge

Now this is where it gets 'interesting'... there is something like 40mm of Thread engaged to get loose,
No amount Penetrating Oil and encouragement would loosen things up... so I ended up putting about 5 minutes of heat into each area...

Click image to enlarge

and then shocking the Thread with two hammers... this worked well Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

All BJ's removed.

Click image to enlarge

All new BJ's in place, with numerous re-measuring of set up distances...

Click image to enlarge

Back in place...

Click image to enlarge

One 'interesting' aspect to fitting the new BJ is that these only are supplied with Nyloc Nuts and whilst the Thread did have a hole for a Split Pin, when the Nut was Fixed Tight No hole was exposed, so it was not possible to fit a Split Pin even though it is not ideally designed to work with a standard Nut.
The Pin would have some use I guess in preventing the Nut unwinding, but hopefully the Nyloc will do its job here.

Click image to enlarge

Job Done... Thumbs Up SKIP
Post #1017167 2nd Dec 2023 6:06pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
A stiff nut is just as good as a castellated nut with a split pin for this application, and you should only use a split pin if you are using a castellated nut.

There is no engineering reason why you can't use a stiff nut in place of a castellated nut on a cross-drilled pin and I am not aware of any reason why it would be an MoT failure point, from an engineering standpoint it is wholly satisfactory since the "loaded" portion of the pin is below the cross-drilling. It is highly likely that the cross-drilling will be completely obscured by the stiff nut anyway.
Post #1017189 2nd Dec 2023 8:23pm
X4SKP

Hello blackwolf

I agree, thanks for the response, these BJ’s had the cross drilled holes for a split pin approximately 6 threads down, and when fitted 3 threads were left exposed, so no visible cross drilled hole as a results. If the MOT guy was correct, then my current arrangement doesn’t ‘violate’ that (his) rule.

The previous BJ’s removed’ I’m fairly certain were the originals fitted by Land Rover, but why I had M12 Nyloc Nuts fitted I’ll never know, mechanically my 90 was standard, the changes made by BLR were essentially cosmetic.

These BJ’s from All Makes 4x4, have grease nipples on the underside, so I’ll keep them packed and see how they do, I used ‘factored’ BJ before and the joints have been let down by poor quality Rubber Gaiters. SKIP
Post #1017207 2nd Dec 2023 10:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 6 <123456