Home > My Defender > SKIP'S 90110 Diary
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello All

Bumper Refurbishment
Having completed the main Dinitrol application part of this project now, my attention has switched to the various parts removed and their general condition... Shocked

The 'usual suspects' of Landrover Defender Parts that (IMO) are sent out into this world with only the minimal attempt to protect them all need to be refinished... Front Bumper, Mud Flap Brackets, and Rear Step are the main issues for me. Luckily this 110 has had Landrover Side Steps added recently that are essentially as new, but that means that internally they are unprotected and there is plenty of accounts on D2N that these rust away at speed from the inside out.

First up is the Bumper
I'll show these 'Part by Part' but in reality, I worked on all Parts simultaneously as (for me) it proves more efficient to work through the various stages with the set up and clear up required.

Starting Point
Top side and front side apparently OK but elsewhere this is not the case...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Bumperettes Removed

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Captive Nuts Removed

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Loose Rust Removal / Surface Abrasion and Rust Conversion

Click image to enlarge

Red Oxide Application

Click image to enlarge

Hand Painted Internally / Rollered Externally
Because the rusted areas are now so pitted, I opted for a Rollered (stippled) finish on the underside.
I applied 3 coats over 2 days.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Dinitrol
A Mist Coat of 3125, followed by 3 coats of 4941

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Outer Top Coat
I applied 3 Coats of Satin / Smooth Black to the outside surfaces of the Bumper
(Including over the Rollered Underside)

I had also increased the fixing holes for the Bumperettes, with the plan to replace the Landrover
Fir-Tree Plastic Rivets with M8 Stainless Steel Fixings.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Number Plate
'OCD Warning'... I like the number plate to both lay flat and 'float' very slightly in front of a painted surface,
(with ideally no vibration and paint rubbing long term... I did warn you Shocked)
So a combination of Neoprene and Number Plate foam strips + 2 Mechanical Fasteners...
(shown as Number Plate Screws but actually now Security Fasteners) completed this...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #968127 18th Oct 2022 10:47am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Like the button cap bolts for the end caps Thumbs Up

What size are they?
Post #968130 18th Oct 2022 11:07am
X4SKP

Hello geobloke

M8 X 30mm A2 SS
I used to get near enough all my Stainless-Steel Fasteners from a fantastic family run hardware shop in Reading called Drews, but unfortunately it closed its doors in 2018 after 87 years of trading... Sad

Now I use Westfield Fasteners, they hold a very comprehensive stock, and provide a first-rate service... Thumbs Up

https://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk/

Defender Stainless Steel Fastener Replacement
As with my 90, I plan to replace most of the visible external Fasteners on the 110 to Stainless Steel.

I have already bought a 110 Stainless Steel Bolt Kit from 4X4 Overlander, so this too is on my to-do list, adding in the 'Door Security Measures' adopted by some owners... Thumbs Up

(Nakatanenga Stainless Bolt Kit VAST 110SW)
https://www.4x4overlander.com/product/naka...t-110sw-2/ SKIP
Post #968136 18th Oct 2022 11:42am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Hi Skip. Many thanks for that and the website Thumbs Up I usually go through some bay or Amazon seller for mine, but only because I have not had somewhere else to go... Rolling Eyes

Do love SS fasteners and the 4x4 Overland kit is a top product Thumbs Up
Post #968138 18th Oct 2022 11:50am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
X4SKP wrote:
I used to get near enough all my Stainless-Steel Fasteners from a fantastic family run hardware shop in Reading called Drews, but unfortunately it closed its doors in 2018 after 87 years of trading... Sad

Drews has gone?! That's very sad, although I haven't been in there for about 20 years and tend to buy all of my hardware from eBay, so I guess I'm part of the problem Confused Embarassed Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #968141 18th Oct 2022 12:09pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Incidentally, your work on the bumper is top notch but I can't help thinking that you'd save yourself a lot of effort in the future if you'd started with a new galvanised one from Paddocks. Sorry Sad Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #968142 18th Oct 2022 12:12pm
X4SKP

Hello LandRoverAnorak

Drews
Sad but true... I did my best along with many others, favouring it over 'the sheds' where possible,
but as good as any of these 'old school' DIY suppliers are (were)... they need a first-rate on-line stock presence (even a 'community / tips and tricks' sharing thing too)...to survive.

Galvanised Bumper... Question
You are probably right...

I almost went this route (for around £70)... but I still like the Black Finish, especially as this 110 has a Black and White thing going on, so I would have painted the Galvanised Bumper (upgrade), all be it now with the need for a special metal's etching primer.

I took the decision, with limited time and the thought that I'm doing this quite late in the year, just to 'job lot' paint everything needed for now and probably then take stock with selective replacement parts later on. SKIP
Post #968147 18th Oct 2022 1:01pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
I am going to add that although it would have been "easier" to source, paint and fit a new galv bumper it is good in a way to see the old one being refurbished and reused. Thumbs Up
Post #968149 18th Oct 2022 1:06pm
X4SKP

Hello All

Mud Flap Refurbishment
Time to refurbish the 110's Mud Flaps... as a bit of background... I may repeat the approach I took on my 90 and make a set of Stainless-Steel Mud Flap Brackets as they will be far more suitable for the job required, especially being in the direct 'firing line' of all that gets thrown up from the wheels.

The 90's Mud Flaps

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

110 Mud Flaps
In order to feel happy enough in bolting these back on the 110 I decided to set up the principle of making the Rubber Mud Flap detachable from the Bracket easily with Stainless-Steel Fixings and to repaint the existing Brackets, in a similar method to the Bumper, loose Rust Off, Rust Conversion, Red Oxide, 3 Top Coats. The Stainless-Steel Fasteners were M8 and I separated the Brackets from the Rubber Flaps with a larger SS Washer to encourage the water to run out and not be trapped between these parts 'aiding' corrosion. OK as an end result but as said I view this as temporary. The Rear Mud Flaps on a 110 are more 'complicated' than the Rear on a 90 (which bolt directly to the rear cross member) but with a bit of effort I think the 110 is also doable.

Near Side

Click image to enlarge

Off Side

Click image to enlarge

Break Down

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Build Back

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 SKIP
Post #968460 20th Oct 2022 5:47pm
Sea sick Steve

United Kingdom 
So Skip, the next one will be UBX. Just let me know when you can do her.
Nice job mate.
Post #968606 21st Oct 2022 10:39pm
X4SKP

Hello Sea sick Steve

Thanks and welcome to D2N… I’ve only got the ‘motivation’ in me to do this at the beginning of ownership for us so I'm definitely not taking bookings... Shocked

Zagato is the go-to man for this, with many a testimonial as to his diligent approach.

If anyone commercially really does this to a high standard IMO it's worth the money, almost every step can be messed up and it is definitely one of those jobs that can be superficially passed off as having been done correctly but within a short period of time or if really closely inspected can reveal that you still have problems. With poor preparation you can probably make areas worse by trapping in corrosion and making any remedial work more complicated than if you had done nothing at all.

I'll monitor both the 90 and 110 going forward but my aim really was to do the 'main event' ideally only once and then repair any surface deterioration (which I expected within the wheel arches but so far no) and to redo the Chassie internals every 5 years (or so)... the 90 will get this next year.

Good luck with UBX… Thumbs Up SKIP
Post #969191 28th Oct 2022 5:32pm
X4SKP

Hello All

Fuel Tank Cradle / Guard Refurbishment
The 110 (and 130) has a much simpler geometric arrangement than a 90 for this piece, with it being relatively simple to both remove and reinstall. The Guard was in reasonable condition but again the applied paint looks to be the minimum you could get away with if the criteria for painting is as soon as you can't see the base metal...Stop Exclamation

Fuel Tank Cradle / Guard and 'over the top' Securing 'Strap'

Click image to enlarge

Key Surface Remove Loose Rust (if any) Rust Convert
If you look closely, you can see where the Blow Moulded Tank has sat within the Cradle and over time vibrated / removed the paint on the surface... these are the areas showing surface rust 'patches'.

Click image to enlarge

Rust Conversion Completed
Best practice is to only paint where rust is present and extend further a minimum amount.

Click image to enlarge

Direct to Metal Topcoat X3
Rollered application (again) as this (for me) has become the 'stippled finish' I'm going for generally
for all under body parts.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Fuel Tank Retaining Strap
Equal treatment to the Guard, with a combination of both Roller and Brush work.

Click image to enlarge

Cushioned Internal Layer
I decided to add a 5mm layer of Closed Cell Neoprene to the internal surface of the Tank Cradle / Guard. There is room to accommodate this without interfering with anything that is positionally 'sensitive'. I also added a patch of Neoprene to the required cross member section of the Chassie that Land Rover themselves sticks two Foam Pads to to protect the leading edge of the Tank, one of these was in the correct position and doing a job of work the other was not in contact with the installed Tank, so overall I've improved the end result.

Click image to enlarge

Fuel Tank Breather Pipe
Early on in my ownership of the 90 I had what appeared to be a leaking Fuel Tank which turned out to be the time-honoured short life expectancy of the Fuel Breather Pipe.

This was my journey to understand this and fix (and improve IMO) the OEM Land Rover offering.
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic25866.html

The significant factor to make this problem better is to change the quality of the part (IMO).
Supplier Sea Screw
19mm A1 Fuel / Breather Hose ISO 7840
https://www.seascrew.com/browse.cfm?s=1-57805&adsrc=ADW0

At the time of writing for about 1/10th the Price of the OEM Land Rover Breather Hose you can swap out this piece and IMO (sorry but this my 'caveat note' as some will not want to deviate from OEM) get a superior quality Product. It seems converse to normal logic that a cheaper (less expensive Thumbs Up ) part can be better, but I put this down to Land Rovers Pricing Policy for some parts.

The Nautilus Marine Pipe is supplied in 1M lengths, which is actually enough to make up two Breather Pipes... bargain Exclamation

Starting Arrangement

Click image to enlarge

Air Venting Pipe
I'm assuming this is also the standard fitting Land Rover part of the main Breather Pipe

Click image to enlarge

Main Breather Pipe
'Interestingly' this is a replacement Breather Pipe from the original installed in 2011, with a date mark of 2019... so around 3 years old, and if a Land Rover OEM Pipe its time is nearly up (possibly).

Click image to enlarge

Replacement Fuel Breather Pipe

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

T Junction Extra Security
I retained the smaller Air Venting Pipe and the two SS Snap Over Securing Rings, but added two Zip Tie Fasteners just tight enough to hopefully stop any unwanted... undoing.

Click image to enlarge

Fuel Tank Installation
Reverse of extraction... all be it with a bit more care now with painted parts... Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
 SKIP

Last edited by X4SKP on 30th Oct 2022 11:05pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #969454 30th Oct 2022 6:20pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Tidy Skip Thumbs Up
Post #969461 30th Oct 2022 6:42pm
X4SKP

Hello All

Rear Step Refurbishment
I learnt the hard way with our previous 300tdi when the Land Rover Rear Step corroded badly from the inside out and around each rivet holding the Rubber Step Mat in place... before I noticed how bad things had got... it was too late. The 90 has never had a standard Rear Step fitted in our ownership, always having a NAS Rear Step instead, (also prone to rusting before it should). The thin metal support element under the Rubber Step Strip is just not up to it IMO, this I have now removed completely and added a central step attached to the Dixon Bate Adjustable Coupling. I have refinished the NAS Step twice in the last 8 years including getting Dinitrol RC900, ML and 3125 inside the tubing to give it a chance to survive longer. As part of the Tow Frame set up on the 90 it is a 'safety critical component'.

Click image to enlarge

For the 110 I wanted to try and preserve what we have and so treated it in a similar way to the other components that were stripped of for this 'project'...

Drilling Out Rubber Step Cover Rivets Heads

Click image to enlarge

Removing Rubber Step Cover... Shocked

Click image to enlarge

Drilling Out Rivet Bodies/ Preparing Replacement Rivets

Click image to enlarge

Removal Of Rubber Step Cover Adhesive

Click image to enlarge

Applying Dinitrol ML Internally
Through Rivet Holes

Click image to enlarge

Applying Dinitrol 3125

Click image to enlarge

Refinishing Rear Step
X3 Coats applied with a combination of Roller and Spray Finish.
3M VHB External Use Contact Tape to hold Rubber Step Cover.

Click image to enlarge

Rubber Step Cover Securing
The 3M Tape Specification asks for applied pressure to improve long term adhesion.

Click image to enlarge

Riveting the Rubber Step Cover
These matching size Rivets 'pulled' too far into the Rubber thickness. There is a tendance for this in the original arrangement and i've seen the Rubber Split from these Rivet positions...

Click image to enlarge

Rivet Spread Washers
I drilled out the first (now) trial Rivet and added a shaped 'Spread Washer' under each Rivet Head.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Back in Place

Click image to enlarge
 SKIP
Post #969551 31st Oct 2022 6:00pm
X4SKP

Hello All

Bonnet Finishing
When swapping out the Bonnet Hinges previously in order to fit the Optimill Security Hinges it was clear that the area directly under the Hinges could do with a little extra help... I applied X3 Coats of Direct to Metal Paint in an area set back 5mm from the outer edge of the Original Land Rover Hinge perimeter, should I ever want to replace these. The Optimill Hinges have essentially a matching 'footprint' so the newly painted areas remain unseen.

Click image to enlarge

Unpainted Bonnet Hinge Area

Click image to enlarge

Mask and Painting

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

First of X3 Coats
I removed the Masking Tape between Coats as 3M advise not to leave this in place for more than 3 days

Click image to enlarge

Bonnet 'Manoeuvres'
May be obvious after the 'experience' but I seemed to be always moving the Bonnet around in order to work on it through its various stages and to allow access to the front of the 110. It needed to be upside down in order to spary it with Dinitrol but 'covered' over night or if there was any chance of rain, anyway it's probably the most handled / travelled part in the whole project so having somewhere to rest it, work on it, and store easily became 'a thing'...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 SKIP
Post #969555 31st Oct 2022 6:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 6 <123456>