↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Hydrogen Internal Combustion Engine
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
Bluest wrote:

Regarding whether the grid will handle the load of electric charging... I've heard directly from National Grid that the National and Regional distribution networks (I don't recall the correct terms here) are fine, but it is local distribution that will struggle.

You're talking about the transmission grid vs the distribution grid. Also factor in generation.
My understanding is that we can't generate enough power, but we could transmit it if we could generate it, and that the distribution grid could not handle the demand even if was transmitted. This is why new housing estates are built with 300mm2 three phase main cables and each property has its own 3 phase service. But the older network would basically melt if everyone tried to charge their EV cars at the same time. In reality it would be blown fuses rather than melted cables but it's the same cause, too much load on old, small cables. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #980059 27th Jan 2023 6:01pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
spudfan

Ireland 
Ineos Grenadier Hydrogen Pushed Back Due To Lack Of Infrastructure
https://www.msn.com/en-ie/cars/news/ineos-...c83b493272

Suzuki Teases New EVs, Electric Jimny Here By 2030
https://www.msn.com/en-ie/lifestyle/shoppi...196cfc40a1 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #980133 28th Jan 2023 1:12am
Setok

Finland 
Fantastic news about the EV Jimny. I just hope they get it out soon, 2030 is a long way away and there are a lot of electric vehicles on the market.

This thread has a lot of FUD. Hydrogen is way less efficient than just using the same energy to charge a battery. Hydrogen requires energy to create, transport and store. Hydrogen stations might only fill up two cars without a break. Meanwhile we are close to having more charging points that regular petrol stations (they are much cheaper to install). But even better, EVsThe can simply be chargedat home, which covers well over 90% of our use. You can even using solar panels or whatnot. That’s a very easy, comfortable way of having a vehicle, and one which is warm fast and moves in -20C with not even a consideration. Why on earth would EVs need 3 or 4 times the range of an ICE? Most people average about 30 miles per day driving. For distance driving I find myself wanting to go and pee or eat before the car needs charging, and when I do, I just leave the car plugged in and ready to go by the time I get back. I find this is actually nicer than fuel stops!

Hydrogen maybe has a role in big commercial equipment, but the market has already decided on BEVs for personal cars. Any manufacturer who hasn’t yet fully jumped on board will be hurting.
Post #980253 29th Jan 2023 10:10am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The people who will be hurting are the members of the public who for whatever reason drive long distances and are accustomed to being able to add 400 miles of driving range to their vehicle in 5 minutes. These people will be utterly shafted when it takes several hours to do the same.

There are millions of people who are about to lose a great personal freedom that's been enjoyed for the last 100 years and that is going to hurt.
Post #980258 29th Jan 2023 10:21am
Muddybigdog

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
In theory electric charging at home

In reality for too many

Click image to enlarge
 Jumped ship to reliability - Mitsubishi L200
Puma 90 XS - Sold
D3 - 2.7 S x2 (both Sold)
Freelander 2 HSE - Sold
Freelander 1 - Sold
Disco 2 - Sold
Post #980260 29th Jan 2023 10:23am
Setok

Finland 
blackwolf wrote:
The people who will be hurting are the members of the public who for whatever reason drive long distances and are accustomed to being able to add 400 miles of driving range to their vehicle in 5 minutes. These people will be utterly shafted when it takes several hours to do the same.

There are millions of people who are about to lose a great personal freedom that's been enjoyed for the last 100 years and that is going to hurt.

You mean the freedom that allowed us to drive around the Nordics and Lapland, 3000km or so, in an electric car? I think we made a grand total of one extra stop we wouldn’t have made otherwise. And even that was more peace of mind than anything else.

It’s become a recurring joke when someone inevitably jumps on board an article about EVs to moan about driving to lapland and back, with a trailer. I mean, how many people actually do that regularly, and never stop for even a pee break, not to mention lunch, for 400 miles? Versus the pleasure of almost never having to normally stop and tank for daily driving?

I think people should just take out an EV for a week, or even a weekend. It doesn’t take much to not want to go back.
Post #980270 29th Jan 2023 11:00am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
No, I mean the freedom that allows me to drive 800+ miles.in a day.
Post #980287 29th Jan 2023 12:21pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
I genuinely think there is a place for hydrogen internal combustion engines. And not just for diggers, other heavy plant, lorry’s, large shipping , large backup generators, tractors, combine harvesters etc where battery power just does not work in practice.
I think those applications will drive the development of hydrogen ICE engines but that will enable the development of smaller engines for light trucks or for vehicles for people who do drive longer distances as Blackwolf highlights.

As for infrastructure, it’s always chicken and egg, you won’t see vehicles until the infrastructure is there and the infrastructure won’t be there if there are not many vehicles. However if lorries start needing the infrastructure as they move from diesel and can’t realistically be battery powered then that infrastructure will be deployed. That infrastructure will then expand in the same way diesel was originally used for lorries but as smaller vehicles started to have diesel engines the infrastructure expanded to accommodate a wider need.

I don’t think it’s a one size fits all and there will be a mix of technology solutions, even potentially a hybrid hydrogen ice / electric solution for some.
Post #980301 29th Jan 2023 1:22pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
blackwolf wrote:
No, I mean the freedom that allows me to drive 800+ miles.in a day.

Exactly this.

At the moment I can jump in the 110, do 600 miles, fill up in five minutes and do another 600 miles for as long as I want to. Until an EV can replicate that it’s frankly a step backwards, and why would I want to do that?

At the moment EVs can only complete part of the picture, and so people such as myself would have to have a second car for doing long journeys, or accept adding hours of charging time onto them.

Before anyone asks I often do 600+ miles in a day, and in the 110 it is very straightforward. Even in the old 90 I can still do it, though I have to fill up twice as often Laughing
Post #980332 29th Jan 2023 4:11pm
Setok

Finland 
600 miles in a day is perfectly doable in an EV. Just charge a couple times while taking a pee or food break.

You do take pee and food breaks, right? And I assume you’re not doing that kind of mileage every day, right?
Post #980349 29th Jan 2023 5:23pm
Setok

Finland 
I know there are individuals for whom EVs are not currently a solution. I mean given the frequency of comments any news about an EV gets there must be a whole army of people doing 1000km a day, every day, while towing, and without eating, peeing or sleeping along the way.

I’m just glad I’m not one of those people. Nor can I think of anyone I know who is. Given the FUD, I was a little apprehensive when venturing out for my first longer distance trip in an EV. It was the most uneventful, stress free drive I ever did. Nowadays, given half the choice, I’d prefer an EV (with a decent battery) for any long distance travel.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the mechanical purr of a TD5, or the burble of a Caterham 7, and driving those is engaging. But looking at things purely practically, EVs are wonderful. And I’d love one for off road or forest lanes. Gently, smoothly and quietly making its way tough terrain. I’d just prefer one that isn’t all precious and full of delicate touch screens and computers. But almost all ICE vehicles are like that these days too, it’s got nothing to do with the power source.

But hydrogen? For personal vehicles there is no foreseeable future there. With a horizon of at least 20 years it’s all BEV.
Post #980352 29th Jan 2023 5:38pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Setok wrote:
600 miles in a day is perfectly doable in an EV. Just charge a couple times while taking a pee or food break.

You do take pee and food breaks, right? And I assume you’re not doing that kind of mileage every day, right?

No I don’t do that every day. But I do it regularly enough that I would need a second vehicle which defeats the object somewhat.

Of course I stop, but it only takes 5 minutes to nip into a services for a pee. Or maybe 30 minutes to have some food. I would generally only expect to stop once on that journey, for food and a coffee, maybe twice if I’ve mistimed the coffee and need to do an extra one of the 5 minute stops!

What’s the realistic motorway range of an EV? 250-300 miles? So I’d either need to extend my mid-way stop for many hours to do a full charge, or add several extra stops of say an hour or so each to ‘top up’ the range. That’s a huge faff and a massive reduction in flexibility of use.
Post #980357 29th Jan 2023 5:51pm
spudfan

Ireland 
I'd be interested to hear how the recent cold spell effected the range of EV vehicles when the heating had to be on more than usual. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #980365 29th Jan 2023 6:21pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
I’d say around a 30-40% reduction in range on the Kia eNiro at work.
Post #980368 29th Jan 2023 6:37pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Thank you, I was just curious. Just something that would need to be factored in for anyone planning a journey in similar conditions in the future.
Over here there is a big push for EV's. There is talk of rolling out a comprehensive charging structure. If charging points are installed at existing fuel stations surely they will want to sell this energy used to charge a car at a profit. As fossil fuel use falls and EV use grows this infrastructure will need to be paid for and as these companies are not noted for their altruism I'd say that in the future the cost of charging an EV will rise. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #980370 29th Jan 2023 6:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>