↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Puma to LT1/8L90 Restomod
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 28 of 38 <123 ... 272829 ... 363738>
Print this entire topic · 
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Great video, very interesting. The underside of the build looks superb, credit to you.
Post #975739 26th Dec 2022 10:37am
mrfirepro

United Kingdom 1996 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Bonatti Grey
Whilst the project is away I've stripped the glass from the sides, what a PITA that was.

Click image to enlarge

Also got a bit of inspiration from a JE Motorworks build, really like the way these look..

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

they fit really well just need to shave around 4-5mm from the surround to make them fit. Have not tried them in place yet but think they will insert into the ducting OK.

Now that it's not going to be possible to get the second display in the standard dash I've been looking for alternative where I can display Gear position, pressures, temps and TMPS, going to see what I can get working on this dash.

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by mrfirepro on 11th Jan 2023 10:52pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #977078 8th Jan 2023 12:39pm
andy2111

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Quote:
Also got round to fitting the underfloor panels which I forgot about until recently Embarassed

Click image to enlarge

I've just discovered your build thread - very impressive and inspiring!

Can I ask you about the underfloor panels - do you have the part number for them?

I am very interested in anything that may help with soundproofing, but having looked on the LRworkshop site I couldnt see anything like these panels. TD5 hardtop to Puma inspired Poptop - my build thread

2002 110 TD5 Hardtop ¦ Full Puma interior ¦ Carpathian grey / Santorini black ¦ X-Vision-X poptop
Post #977126 8th Jan 2023 6:14pm
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
KRN500280 and 250 but they are nearly £60 each and are a bit of a water trap to be honest
Post #977206 9th Jan 2023 12:35pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Has anyone ever established the purpose of these panels (which are only fitted to certain models)?

Unless it is a feeble attempt at noise reduction, they seem utterly pointless and undoubtedly serve to promote corrosion to the seat box.

I suspect that rather like the "nappies" fitted to the inner wings of XS and similar higher-spec models they probably are LR's token gesture at improving noise levels. It is certainly hard to see any other purpose.
Post #977217 9th Jan 2023 1:36pm
shanecl

Ireland 1989 Defender 90 V8 Petrol CSW Auto Firenze Red
[quote="mrfirepro"]Whilst the project is away I've stripped the glass from the sides, what a PITA that was.

Click image to enlarge

who are ya telling, i done mine. Be careful when putting back together especially that centre support, i done mine too tight and window now is impossible to open and close and also the bottom is leaking Rolling Eyes
Post #977225 9th Jan 2023 2:58pm
mrfirepro

Thanks for the comments, Shane that sounds painful Shocked thanks for the advice

My driver for the insulation panel was to stop road debris and stones hitting the bottom of the seat box, making that horrible noise like you’re dragging your ass along the road. I had already applied internal and external sound deadening and external insulation as well as this panel, hopefully now will withstand the apocalypse. I found both panels on eBay, don’t think they were very much.

Retrofitting was a bit more difficult as holes were not already in the tub and my project was a bit too far along so had to bond one corner of the panel on and use rivnuts on the rest, let’s hope I never have to remove it Embarassed I'm not sure they will collect water but there is a definate chance of them collecting mud, which I'll have to keep an eye on. Thank fully wont be an off roader much
Post #977655 11th Jan 2023 10:51pm
mrfirepro

I'm trying to streamline the central console I'm playing with an electronic shifter for the gearbox and an air shifter to switch the transfer case, that way getting rid of the diff lock/hi lo lever and the floor mounted shifter.

This is the air shifter kit..

Click image to enlarge

I've nearly got everything together, just cant find the left hand switch in this bank, anyone know where I can get this???

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2ofo2a8]
Click image to enlarge
Post #981433 5th Feb 2023 11:52pm
rtm89

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Galway Green
https://spemco.com/rabbit-turtle-laser-etc...1xx-xmch1/

I think this is the one you are looking for?
Post #981487 6th Feb 2023 2:12pm
mrfirepro

Well my project is finally back from Mahker having had another exhaust made, long range fuel tank, brake lines and a few AC and water pipes fabricated, some good, some not so good.

It sounds INCREDIBLE.......

I'm now able to start fitting the controls for the Diff Lock lever removal, if I can stop breaking things I'll get it finished soon...

I've modified the 10AS to be able to control the central locking

these parts

Click image to enlarge

Before

Click image to enlarge

after

Click image to enlarge

Programmed using the diagnostics tool and all seems to work,(well I can hear the relay click as no door fitted yet) programmed a couple of refurbed plips and all seems good.

Found the switch cover, thanks for the advice....

Click image to enlarge

as above I'm also changing the electronic handbrake switch as this is a little better.

was really excited to see the first pics of the interior work from Transcal.

These are original Defender recaros with the removable base now recovered.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

and the rear seats

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Will start to get some bits back from the body shop over the next month so hopefuly should start looking like a Defender again.
Post #983499 24th Feb 2023 12:49am
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
Looking great where did you manage to find the Recaro's? What were the bad things you mentioned?
Post #983555 24th Feb 2023 5:23pm
mrfirepro

Hi Linds,

I got the Recaros a few years ago from Ian at IRB, probably the last ones available.

As for Mahker, the exhaust is fantastic, and the long-range tank is also good. The bad is that we agreed a price for the tank up front and then Mahker invoiced nearly 30% more saying it was more work than expected, so we had some very difficult conversations for a while, we ended up splitting the difference.

As for the brake lines I'll leave you with the pictures.

Click image to enlarge

Yes, these are brake lines run over the steering rack and are quite tight with very little slack, they let me take it away like this I didn't notice until I got it home. Mahker said that normally they make a bracket up and fix it to the wing.

Click image to enlarge

This is the brake line for the rear near side actually pinched between the axle and the exhaust. Mahker told me they would usually run that on the bottom of the tub as it wasn't there it was difficult, however there is absolutely no slack in the line so I can't see how that could be done with this line.

To be straight Mahker have said they will sort it all out, however it will cost me £1200 to get it up there and back so I'm going to sort it out myself and chalk it up to experience.

Irrespective of any mitigation I can’t believe that this was never checked and they let me take it away like this, which in my opinion is very dangerous.

Mahker is a very impressive operation with many fantastic projects, which is why I'm so surprised my project was left like this.
Post #983730 26th Feb 2023 11:41am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Poor indeed DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #983781 26th Feb 2023 6:16pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
That’s a really poor from a company that constantly go on about quality. At least you know the rest of the build is up to scratch though!
Post #983786 26th Feb 2023 7:13pm
jimbo55

United Kingdom 
Just look on Facebook groups for them and 4x4 fabrication (the same people with a different name) and there is a lot of negative feedback, some of the stuff you see is truly below par. That said, they clearly have enough people going through the door buying the stuff to keep going
Post #983796 26th Feb 2023 8:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 28 of 38 <123 ... 272829 ... 363738>