↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Puma to LT1/8L90 Restomod
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 29 of 38 <123 ... 282930 ... 363738>
Print this entire topic · 
Black Puma

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Sumatra Black
When I quote for my business, I stick to that quote, unless client makes changes.

So when I pay for work to be done, I don't expect my job to be more expensive if supplier is developing and experimenting their own future product on my job. I learned that lesson 20 years ago. But I have heard similar stories about and from this mob.

The thing is they boasted on social media with your vehicle as the test bed for a future product they would offer. I think that would afford you a discount more than gouge. Makes me once again cringe at social media.

The positive attitude about their work with the brake line says great things about you. Kudos.
Post #983955 28th Feb 2023 12:08pm
marsie

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Is the exhaust really mounted that close to the axle Shocked 2000 90 TD5,galv chassis, d2 axles ,Bas remap , alisport intercooler , d2 transfer box , side windows-more to come-much more!! *GONE*
2004 110 TD5 Double cab. *GONE*
2010 110 2.4 XS station wagon
Post #984000 28th Feb 2023 8:25pm
Shroppy

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 130 V8 Petrol HCPU Aintree Green
Have you got any more photos of the exhaust? Like marsie, I wonder why the exhaust is mounted so close to an axle which can articulate?... 1985 127 V8 Build Thread
Series 2 109"
Series 1 80"
Post #984002 28th Feb 2023 8:28pm
mrfirepro

United Kingdom 1996 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Bonatti Grey
To be balanced, the project does have air suspension so has various ride heights. I suspect that has been forgotten during fabrication. I'm not sure what the ride height is in that photo whether it’s at driving height or the lowest height.

I'll drop some more photos of the exhaust as soon as I can.
Post #984373 4th Mar 2023 1:11pm
mrfirepro

I'd like to dedicate this update to the Dakota Cluster I've been playing about with this over the last few weeks and today have finished the testing.

I'd just like to say I have no affiliation with Dakota, because I'm soo impressed with the unit and how well it is suited to the Defender.

My initial reason for looking at the Dakota dash was it's ability to display Transmissioin information (gear etc etc..)

Here is what I bought

HDX-2018 - https://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/pa...rd1074.htm

BIM-01-2 (OBD Interface) - https://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/pa...prd752.htm

GPS-50-2 (GPS speed sensor plus lots more)https://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=837/category_id=-1/mode=prod/prd837.htm

SEN-15-1 (outside air temp)https://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=120/category_id=-1/mode=prod/prd120.htm

600041 - GPS antenna -

DIM-1 - Dimming kit - https://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/pa...prd404.htm

The dash is easy to use, programme & wire. There is an app for programming which connects over Bluetooth.

At first it looks like a nightmare wiring job, but the more I looked at the dash controller and the LR cluster it became clear that every signal needed was already at the current dash and even in the correct format, once at this stage the rest was quite easy.

I wanted to keep all the wiring standard and unbutchered in case I ever wanted to put back the standard cluster.

I removed a socket from an old cluster to make up an extension loom from the LR cluster plug.

Here is the plug and wiring pin outs and colours for the existing plug. (Ignore pins 17 and 33 at the far end, they don’t exist)

Click image to enlarge

Every input needed for the Dakota dash is already at this plug, so I made up an extension lead using the plug. In addition, I needed to splice the CAN wires for the OBD unit into the GM loom.

Rather than use the existing Dakota plug I opted to directly solder the unit, if you do this be careful as there are no power wires and two different can wiring protocols in the lead. Use pin 14 (White - Can Low) and Pin 6 (Green - Can High). Both the main and OBD units are directly powered from the dash connector. The LR CAN wires in the cluster are not used.

This is the finished connector.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I've yet to programme the speed signal from the GPS module, but the integration of the Fuel sensor and all other items is seamless, and I still have two programmable inputs left to use if I need them, there is even a 4X4 diff lock symbol as standard.

The display is now working and displays all pressures and temps, gears, there is also integration of the ABS system into the dash. The LR rear fog and rear heated screen I decided not to display however it could easily put these onto the two spare inputs.

I've still to mount the units but there sems sufficient space for the main controller behind and to the upper right of the dash and for both the GPS and OBD modules to the right hand side of the heater matrix.

I've also finished the switch panel for HI/LO, diff lock and handbrake switch and all works fine. Have also integrated an interlock so the switches cant be operated unless the vehicle is in Park or Neutral.

Here is the switch panel

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Just waiting for the paddle and button shifter from the states and that should see a much tidier interior without handbrake, diff or gear levers.
Post #987151 28th Mar 2023 6:52pm
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
Great work once again I just wish there was a alternative to the this particular Dakota dash apart from it now being over used by all the LS converters the giltzy plastic chrome surround and contra rotating dials just dont look right in a Land Rover. Again only my opinion and no doubting your passion and qaulity of build.
Post #987209 29th Mar 2023 10:31am
steveww

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Bronze Green
In the past I've used Motec products.

https://www.motec.com.au/c1212/c1212overview/
Post #987253 29th Mar 2023 5:04pm
mrfirepro

Linds,

I totally agree and if there was a better option to display everything needed I'd be doing it. I'd hoped to get the middle display working but have not been able to achieve that.

However I've managed to fit it into the standard cluster and the crome bezel is away being anodised black.

By the time I get the back plate black and the chrome anodised black it may look better.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #987280 29th Mar 2023 9:20pm
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
The blacking of all the chrome bits should be a great improvment
Post #987439 31st Mar 2023 10:41am
mrfirepro

Hope so, also with the help of mcma1 (Andy) who is 3d printing a bezel to get rid of the monstrosity all together.....
Post #987637 2nd Apr 2023 2:34pm
mcma1

Post #987676 2nd Apr 2023 8:16pm
mrfirepro

Exciting news...... my body shop called today saying that all the front end panels and doors are finished, so hopefully over the next few weeks the front end can start coming together.

Click image to enlarge

Not sure if I've mentioned it before Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter but I've decided to do away with the handbrake, hi/lo diff lock lever and the floor shifter in leu of fully electronic units.

The last piece of the jigsaw arrived this week from PCS in the states.

Click image to enlarge

Just what I wanted more wiring, just when you think you’re finished...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Mounting the PCS controller here

Click image to enlarge

I got the new binnacle cover (thanks for help)

Click image to enlarge

and managed to mount the control buttons, not totally sure about this but hoping to live with it for a while and see how I feel in the long run.

Click image to enlarge

I bought a Pioneer unit SPH-DA360DAB

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

had various problems, finally got Pioneer to except it was a problem with the unit and asked me to send it back. They sent it back to me fully working saying it worked all along and they had done nothing to it, MY ARSE now got a different software version, good news is it's all working now.

Also, Transcal have finished my interior so possibly looking like I'll finish it this year....

As usual ending with a question...

As I'm just about to start the fitting up doors, body, wings etc etc and I want to get better gaps than JLR, is there a guide or any document around I could follow....
Post #991529 4th May 2023 10:05pm
kenzle8a

Mike from Britrest does a decent video on it.

Although I always remind myself that land rovers are like continents and suffer from drift over time...

Post #991543 5th May 2023 7:55am
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
mrfirepro wrote:
Exciting news...... my body shop called today saying that all the front end panels and doors are finished, so hopefully over the next few weeks the front end can start coming together.

Click image to enlarge

Not sure if I've mentioned it before Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter but I've decided to do away with the handbrake, hi/lo diff lock lever and the floor shifter in leu of fully electronic units.

The last piece of the jigsaw arrived this week from PCS in the states.

Click image to enlarge

Just what I wanted more wiring, just when you think you’re finished...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Mounting the PCS controller here

Click image to enlarge

I got the new binnacle cover (thanks for help)

Click image to enlarge

and managed to mount the control buttons, not totally sure about this but hoping to live with it for a while and see how I feel in the long run.

Click image to enlarge

I bought a Pioneer unit SPH-DA360DAB

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

had various problems, finally got Pioneer to except it was a problem with the unit and asked me to send it back. They sent it back to me fully working saying it worked all along and they had done nothing to it, MY ARSE now got a different software version, good news is it's all working now.

Also, Transcal have finished my interior so possibly looking like I'll finish it this year....

As usual ending with a question...

As I'm just about to start the fitting up doors, body, wings etc etc and I want to get better gaps than JLR, is there a guide or any document around I could follow....
The main thing is to use brand new Genuine door catches and Genuine door seals, don't fit any front wings just the bulkhead and body loose. Align the doors to the bulkhead,align the top of the curved section through front to rear from bulkhead,doors and rear tub( a laser line is ideal for this ). Set the door gap and ensure these are equal top to bottom. Next fit the screen frame and hard top sides and again check equal door gap top to bottom along rear edge of door. The door gap can be changed by fitting extra washers on the bulkhead to chassis outigger bolts or moving the rear body forward or aft. Shims are available to alter the bulkhead angle more than the slotted fixing holes on the footwell suppourt brackets allow.
Post #991564 5th May 2023 10:52am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Linds, you know you can edit a quote to show just the bit you want and NOT repeat ALL the photos Whistle James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #991595 5th May 2023 6:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 29 of 38 <123 ... 282930 ... 363738>