↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > An Anorak's Utility Station Wagon
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 52 of 57 <123 ... 515253 ... 555657>
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
It's easier to fit/remove the split pins if they're on the outside, and it's easier to drift the retaining pins out if necessary.

I alway fit mine that way round.
Post #964108 5th Sep 2022 6:37pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Re: Bonnet Seal
Quote:

Click image to enlarge

Fitting was quite straightforward. The bonnet has a wide lower edge for most of its perimeter, making positioning the seal very easy. At the rear corners and for a short distance near each front corner, that edge narrows but it's still just wide enough to take the adhesive strip. Before fitting, I cleaned up the edge with white spirit to ensure that a good bond was formed:

Click image to enlarge

Once in place, it added a small amount of additional resistance to closing the bonnet, but nothing that a drop from 6 inches or so couldn't overcome. It makes for a very neat shut line and a snug fit along the wings and across the grill panel, although it should be noted that there are gaps at the two front corners, as there's nothing for it to seal against there:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

At the rear corners, I finished the seal in line with the rear face of the bonnet. I'd like to add a seal to that edge too, but I'll need something slightly larger to fill the gap and a second pair of hands to lift the bonnet off to do it properly:

Click image to enlarge

Time will tell if it serves its purpose.

Hi LRA, I’m thinking of adding the bonnet seal, using the same seal as you. So just wondering how it has performed, the pros and the cons, for instance has it rubbed paint off the wings where it meets them. Also any tips on improvements you have thought of.

Thx Ian.
Post #965433 19th Sep 2022 10:37am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Hi Ian,

It's been absolutely fine and definitely fulfilled the main purpose of keeping water out of the engine bay. I've had a dry passenger side footwell since fitting as I suspect water was making its way in by running off the wing and then via the junction between heater and bulkhead.

It hasn't marked the paint at all. It's a very pliable rubber and isn't fully compressed by the bonnet, so the pressure on the wing is minimal.

I wouldn't do anything different if I was starting again. I would like a similar seal across the back edge of the bonnet, but that gap is too big for this particular seal. Having cured the water ingress though, it's not a particular priority. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #965461 19th Sep 2022 7:37pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Thanks Darren, much appreciated, that’s next weekends job then as I now have the seal from car builder solutions Very Happy
Post #965462 19th Sep 2022 7:50pm
nitram17

Re: Headlight Wiring Loom Pt 1 - Diagram
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
As part of fitting the spotlights mentioned above, I've been designing my own upgraded headlight loom, both to solve the inherent problem of the full load of the headlights passing through the switch and provide power to the spots. I've been working on the diagram over the last few days, which looks like this:

Click image to enlarge

The majority of the wiring will be appropriately sized multi-core, which keeps it neat and, for this application, removes the need for further protective tubing. It's all deliberately oversized to reduce voltage drop - the longest length to the RH headlight will see a drop of no more than about 0.2v. The spotlight wiring is also sized for possibly fitting 100w bulbs.

Originally, it was my intention that the fuse box, relays and distribution block would all be housed in a single waterproof enclosure under the bonnet. However, having bought something of a suitable size, I now realise that there isn't a space big enough that remains accessible Rolling Eyes Consequently, those three components will be fitted in individual enclosures just inside the LH wing.

The only thing that the diagram doesn't show at this stage is the dash mounted switch to isolate the spots. That will be a later addition when I next take the dash out for another project and will basically interrupt the earth wire from the coil of the spotlight relay.

Weather permitting, I plan to install all of this next week when I have some time off.

Hi I am not experienced with electrical diagram standards ,,can you tell me what the short pink diagnals mean in your diagram (marked with crude arrow )thanks in advance

Click image to enlarge
Post #966627 4th Oct 2022 2:27pm
LandRoverAnorak

Ah, that was just a bit of shorthand that indicates where the outer sheath of various multicore cables comes to an end as the individual cores get separated. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #966633 4th Oct 2022 3:23pm
nitram17

I was hoping it was a personal notation as i couldn't fathom what they were for!thanks again!
Post #966653 4th Oct 2022 4:40pm
LandRoverAnorak

No problem. It's nice to know that it's useful. Darren

Post #966661 4th Oct 2022 5:13pm
Bazarre13

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Indus Silver
A massive thank you LRA.

I am a new defender owner (8 weeks now) having never driven one ‘properly’ before and found your thread very early on in my ownership.

The detail and clarity you include is gratefully received and my wish list is growing and hopefully my knowledge with it.

Cheers
Bazarre Bazarre13
Learning to live with a Defender in London
MY2016 110 XS SW Black Pack in Indus Grey

Last edited by Bazarre13 on 16th Oct 2022 6:55pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #967822 16th Oct 2022 11:30am
mur9h

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Cairns Blue
decent
Post #967902 16th Oct 2022 6:38pm
LandRoverAnorak

Thank you, chaps Smile It's taken a bit of back seat at the moment as I work through updating our camping trailer, but there's still lots to do! Darren

Post #967983 17th Oct 2022 10:13am
LandRoverAnorak

Suspension Bushes
It's been very quiet on the Land Rover front over the last few months but it went in for a service yesterday and I took the opportunity to have all of the suspension bushes changed. Since having the rear diff replaced in August it became apparent that there were still a few clunks to chase down and this seemed the next logical step.

Following some very positive comments on here, I opted for SuperPro bushes as supplied by Gwyn Lewis:

Click image to enlarge

This is kit 043DK for late, post '09, Puma models.

I also stumped up for the matching bolt kit, GL1224:

Click image to enlarge

All of this work was done for me, by Challenger 4x4, so I've only a representative photo:

Click image to enlarge

I'm really pleased with the result. Lots of little creaks and clonks seem to have been banished and the whole thing feels 'sharper' for want of a better description Very Happy Darren

Post #976950 7th Jan 2023 12:51am
Black Puma

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Sumatra Black
This is a very timely post. I have been thinking of this regarding suspension. Good to see a recommendation 🙌

Seems like it was a solution to ware and tear, but do you have an opinion over the factory supply. Or just a good option to future proof for peace of mind?

After that, for me anyway. Chasing down the clunks in the drive-train. Which have been there since new without a problem, but still after all these years, might be worth looking at. Might re-read your thread to look into that Thumbs Up
Post #977006 7th Jan 2023 4:58pm
LandRoverAnorak

I have heard that factory bushes are no longer what they used to be but, to be honest, I probably would have gone for the SuperPro ones even if they were. I've always been slightly wary of poly bushes in the past as they've seemed a bit variable in quality but I've never heard a bad word about the SuperPro ones. Time will tell, of course Whistle Darren

Post #977039 7th Jan 2023 10:40pm
kenzle8a

I've used Super Pro & Superflex for 15 years + on my other cars as well as the Defender. They are worth it IMO, the Australian made bushes (Super Pro, Super Flex and Whiteline) have always been the best for some reason. I've had issues with Power Flex on some cars when the Aussies ones weren't made for them.
Post #977051 8th Jan 2023 9:16am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 52 of 57 <123 ... 515253 ... 555657>