↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > An Anorak's Utility Station Wagon
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 51 of 57 <123 ... 505152 ... 555657>
Print this entire topic · 
Cragster69

Scotland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Cairns Blue
Darren,

Just wanted to say thank you for your thread, as an inexperienced Defender owner (since January 2022) your thread has been a source of inspiration and has gave some ideas for upgrades as and when time and budget allows.

The rear load deck is next on the list. Thumbs Up Craig.

“Don't believe everything you read on the internet.” ― Abraham Lincoln

www.scotgrc.co.uk
Post #955118 10th Jun 2022 2:21pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Thanks Craig, that's very kind Smile Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #955398 13th Jun 2022 9:43pm
LandRoverAnorak

Land Rover Legends - 2022
It's been a bit quiet on the Defender front over the last few months as I've been spending my time preparing our camping trailer for its maiden voyage to Land Rover Legends at Thruxton:

Click image to enlarge

I also managed to blag my way into the show line up (although not a spin around the track, sadly):

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #955401 13th Jun 2022 9:54pm
LandRoverAnorak

Brake Pads Again - Front and Rear
At its last service in October last year I had an advisory about the brake pads being down to about 5mm and this weekend I finally got around to replacing them. That's not quite as drastic as it seems as my working pattern has changed post-Covid, and the Defender does a lot less miles these days - only about 2500 since that service.

Anyway, I'd ordered the parts from forum sponsor, Advanced Factor, months ago. They comprised Borg and Beck front and rear pads and what should have been matching fitting kits, although more of that later:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I started at the rear and removed the old pads with my tried and trusted method of a couple of G clamps to push the cylinders back in. I always give the exposed cylinders a good blast of cleaner before doing this to try and protect the seals from grit:

Click image to enlarge

I had replaced the rears about 3 years and 18k miles ago following an MOT fail and used Borg and Beck then, too. In reality they were probably less than half worn but having got this far I pressed on and replaced them:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Whilst the pads were identical, I did have a problem with the fitting kit (the one labelled EFK115 above) as the pins were about 10mm too short:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Once again, I cleaned up the old pins and re-used them although the new springs and split pins were welcome:

Click image to enlarge

On the front. the new pins were fine, albeit of a slightly different pattern. I did completely forget to order new pad springs though and so had to reuse the existing:

Click image to enlarge

I hadn't replaced the front pads in my four and bit years of ownership and the originals were more worn:

Click image to enlarge

Fitting the fronts was more of a challenge as the cylinders didn't want to go back in far enough to allow for the new thicker pads. It was a lot easier after I remembered to take the cap off the fluid reservoir though Rolling Eyes

Click image to enlarge

With new pads fitted all round, I took it for a test run with some gentle braking to bed them in and everything is good so far.

I know that lots of people seem to suffer with brake squeal from the rear pads but I've been really pleased with the Borg and Beck ones as they've been completely silent without any special treatment or additional shims. I'm expecting the same from this new set. Darren

Post #956609 26th Jun 2022 9:42pm
LandRoverAnorak

Rear Carpet Again
Just over three years ago, I put the finishing touch to the soundproofing of the rear of my 110 by fitting an LRI carpet kit. It was ok but I always felt a bit cheated by the main floor carpet as it finished short, part way across the rear seat mounts:

Click image to enlarge

Last week a genuine floor carpet came up for sale and I snapped it up (thanks rockster75). I fitted it earlier in the week, which involved removing most the stuff that I seem to lug around everywhere, and unbolting the seat mount. Even though the difference is only really visible with the seats tipped forward, which I never do, I know it's there Laughing

Click image to enlarge

More exciting news to come at the end of the month as I have it booked in for a significant upgrade... Whistle Darren

Post #957658 7th Jul 2022 10:21pm
ChrisDefender

United Kingdom 
Thumbs Up
Post #957687 8th Jul 2022 10:57am
LandRoverAnorak

ATB Diff - Rear
After a bit of a delay, I've finally joined the ATB club, having had an Ashcroft ATB diff installed in the rear axle of my 110:

Click image to enlarge

The work was carried out for me by my local independent, Challenger 4x4, and they even cleaned up and painted the diff casing:

Click image to enlarge

Whilst they had it apart, I also asked them to fit HD UJ's to the rear prop, as supplied by Gwyn Lewis:

Click image to enlarge

https://gwynlewis4x4.co.uk/product/1300-la...gl1167k48/

I haven't driven it very far yet but so far I'm very pleased with the result. For as long as I've owned my 110, I've had an annoying clunk from the rear when moving from forward to reverse or visa versa. I've already fitted one piece rear half shafts and an uprated A frame ball joint but neither entirely cured the problem. Now though, it's wonderfully silent Cool

I plan to get the front one done in due course but it's going to have to wait for a while Whistle Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 12th Aug 2022 8:53am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #961277 10th Aug 2022 8:46pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Excellent Thumbs Up Very envious. Looking forward to hearing how effective you find the new diff.
Post #961328 11th Aug 2022 11:12am
LandRoverAnorak

Thanks Very Happy I put a few more miles on it yesterday and the improvement is really noticeable. Of course, I'm now more aware of all of the other clonks and groans that are unrelated Laughing I may look at refreshing some of the suspension bushes later in the year. Darren

Post #961399 12th Aug 2022 8:56am
LandRoverAnorak

Headlight Surrounds Yet Again
Those that have been following this rambling thread for a while will know that I have, on occasion, changed the look of the front of my 110 Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Today saw hopefully the last attempt when I replaced the plastic headlight surrounds with flat aluminium ones:

Click image to enlarge

They've had thin, self-adhesive foam applied to the rears to separate them from the paint of the front wings.

I found the panels on eBay, similar to those made by Nakatanenga but significantly less expensive. They appealed because of the nicely formed horn louvres, which the cheaper ones available don't have:

Click image to enlarge

They're paired with Series III bezels that I picked up second hand and re-painted:

Click image to enlarge

All secured with stainless screws and nylon washers to separate the bezels from the panels, I'm really pleased with the look:

Click image to enlarge

Unfortunately, there are some marks in the paint on the wing fronts where the plastic panels have rubbed. I'll eventually get these areas re-sprayed and the holes for the light guard fixings filled at the same time. Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 5th Sep 2022 9:00am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #964016 4th Sep 2022 9:56pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Any chance of a link to the eBay item, or was it a one-off?
Post #964027 4th Sep 2022 11:26pm
HardCharger

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Same question, inquiring minds want to know! Mr. Green Thumbs Up
Post #964029 5th Sep 2022 3:47am
LandRoverAnorak

Heh, heh, of course:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374214340611

They were out of stock for a while so I messaged the guy to see if he was selling any more. He was really helpful and told me that he had a new batch in production and then alerted me when they were available. He originally had them commissioned for his own use but has ended up selling a lot to one of the Defender 'upgrading' companies. Darren

Post #964039 5th Sep 2022 8:47am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Re: Brake Pads Again - Front and Rear
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
At its last service in October last year I had an advisory about the brake pads being down to about 5mm and this weekend I finally got around to replacing them. That's not quite as drastic as it seems as my working pattern has changed post-Covid, and the Defender does a lot less miles these days - only about 2500 since that service.

Anyway, I'd ordered the parts from forum sponsor, Advanced Factor, months ago. They comprised Borg and Beck front and rear pads and what should have been matching fitting kits, although more of that later:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I started at the rear and removed the old pads with my tried and trusted method of a couple of G clamps to push the cylinders back in. I always give the exposed cylinders a good blast of cleaner before doing this to try and protect the seals from grit:

Click image to enlarge

I had replaced the rears about 3 years and 18k miles ago following an MOT fail and used Borg and Beck then, too. In reality they were probably less than half worn but having got this far I pressed on and replaced them:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Whilst the pads were identical, I did have a problem with the fitting kit (the one labelled EFK115 above) as the pins were about 10mm too short:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Once again, I cleaned up the old pins and re-used them although the new springs and split pins were welcome:

Click image to enlarge

On the front. the new pins were fine, albeit of a slightly different pattern. I did completely forget to order new pad springs though and so had to reuse the existing:

Click image to enlarge

I hadn't replaced the front pads in my four and bit years of ownership and the originals were more worn:

Click image to enlarge

Fitting the fronts was more of a challenge as the cylinders didn't want to go back in far enough to allow for the new thicker pads. It was a lot easier after I remembered to take the cap off the fluid reservoir though Rolling Eyes

Click image to enlarge

With new pads fitted all round, I took it for a test run with some gentle braking to bed them in and everything is good so far.

I know that lots of people seem to suffer with brake squeal from the rear pads but I've been really pleased with the Borg and Beck ones as they've been completely silent without any special treatment or additional shims. I'm expecting the same from this new set.

Hi LRA.
I notice you are using R pins rather than split pins on your front callipers to hold the pad pins in place. That does not look right to me as an R pin could potentially vibrate loose, whereas a split pin can’t if fitted correctly. Whenever I’ve purchased pads from LR they always come with new split pins, never R pins.

Also from factory my pad retaining pins were fitted the other way around, with the split pin being on the inboard side of the callipers, however I can’t think why that would make any difference.
Post #964055 5th Sep 2022 9:53am
LandRoverAnorak

Hmm, hadn't really thought about it before but that's what came in the kit, so I've no particular reason to doubt their suitability. I've used R clips in all sorts of applications over the years and never seen one vibrate loose yet.

As for the pins, I can't really see that it matters but they were fitted the same way that they came out. Darren

Post #964057 5th Sep 2022 10:08am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 51 of 57 <123 ... 505152 ... 555657>