↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Lizzy
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 8 <12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
Gasket

really like this thread - you're working really neatly and are only a few weeks ahead of me on quite a few similar jobs, so its making life easy for me as I know what's coming Rolling with laughter
Post #959607 26th Jul 2022 5:39pm
steveww

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Bronze Green
Out on a little camping trip to Suffolk for a few days. Great to debug the gear list ready for the big trip later on. We forgot the corkscrew!

Click image to enlarge
Post #962527 22nd Aug 2022 3:53pm
steveww

Click image to enlarge

I just spend a couple of evenings cleaning Lizzy's bottom (oh err) and spraying it with ACF 50.

I thought my pressure washing was OK but I still managed to extract a lot of mud from various crevices. It like LR designed it to collect as much mud as possible.

Now the question is whether to apply a coat of Lanoguard or similar over the top?
Post #963006 26th Aug 2022 7:34pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Take a look at the Gwyn Lewis mud shields, which really help with this. I fitted a full set to my 110 here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/post727189.html#727189 Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #963317 30th Aug 2022 8:49am
steveww

Click image to enlarge

After some procrastination I finally got around to fitting the rest of the Wright Off Road matting to the rear. It's an arse of a job, the matt is tuff stuff to cut around the wriggly bits. It's easier with two people as the mat is quite heavy and fitting carefully without accidentally letting the impact adhesive grab hold is a challenge. With lots of EVO Stick and a bit of swearing both rear wheel arches are covered. Again another big improvement in road noise. Of course I can now hear more wind noise and rattles but it's a Defender.
Post #964060 5th Sep 2022 10:58am
steveww

With the nights drawing in I did my first long drive in the dark since fitting the Vision X Vortex headlights. I’m really impressed, the dip beam has a wide even spread and the main beam has real punch to light up at distance.
Post #965393 18th Sep 2022 1:18pm
steveww

Just completed the NC500. What a trip, the scenery is just spectacular!

A Defender is the ideal vehicle. The high position provides great views and with the rugged suspension you don't need to worry about the pot holes, shredding tyres and cracking alloy wheels.

Click image to enlarge

At the top of the Applecross Pass.
Post #966502 3rd Oct 2022 3:15pm
LJMARSDEN

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
Thats a great photo, would love to do the NC500 soon in my own. Bet it all looks fantastic in the snow too. Luke Marsden

06 V8 1UZFE Defender 90

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/defender__v8/
Post #966508 3rd Oct 2022 3:42pm
steveww

I decided the 4 standard tie down points are just not enough and the Wrights Off Road matting is lifting a bit where it folds around the step in the arch Big Cry

Therefore I've added some cargo rail which should give me plenty of tie down options and keep the matting in place.

Click image to enlarge

The usual goffa
is away so necessity is the mother of invention. Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

How to hold the bolt while I do up the Nyloc nut.
Post #968667 22nd Oct 2022 8:42pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Genius.
Post #968698 23rd Oct 2022 6:12am
steveww

I know the standard washer jets are feeble but mine were just a dribble. Before spending lots of time and money on fancy billet aluminium ones, I though I'd try to get the standard ones working.

The washer tank was full of gunk. I extracted all the gunk with a wet vacuum cleaner. Opened up the pipes at the non-return valves and flushed everything out. While not exactly the Bellagio Fountain the water does now reach half way up the screen; a huge improvement. I did notice that the non-return valve is quite restrictive. I'm going to give them a go without it, just need to get a straight coupler.

Another annoying feature of the Defender and just about every other vehicle is the fact that the wipers come on with the washers. When driving in freezing conditions, I prefer to be able to test the washer aren't frozen before committing to wipers. I'll take a look at the wiring diagram and see what I can do.

While I was tinkering I fitted some Sugru to the inlet sensor connector. It always looks a bit vulnerable to me. Sugru is sort of like silicon putty, it comes in a sealed foil pack and cures with expose to air. It could also be used to fill small holes and gaps in the body; ideal for stopping leaks.

Click image to enlarge
Post #969739 2nd Nov 2022 4:40pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
steveww wrote:
...Another annoying feature of the Defender and just about every other vehicle is the fact that the wipers come on with the washers. When driving in freezing conditions, I prefer to be able to test the washer aren't frozen before committing to wipers. I'll take a look at the wiring diagram and see what I can do....

All you need to do is extract the receptacle from pin 6 of connector C0303R (or disconnect this by some other means as it really isn't very accessible). This is the squirt trigger from the stalk switch to the wiper timer relay, with it disconnected you can squirt to your heart's content without the wipers wiping, then simply flick them on when you want them.

There is no easy way to increase the delay between starting the squirt and the wipers coming on.
Post #969740 2nd Nov 2022 4:53pm
steveww

Thanks Blackwolf for the tip.

The details are here https://www.lrworkshop.com/connectors/defender-2007/C0303R

As Blackwolf says, taking the wire for pin 6 out of the connector block is not easy without damaging the connector block. I chose to snip pin 6 off relay timer thingy, I can always buy a new one if I want the wash wipe functionality back.

For me it's a great improvement. I can try the washers before committing to using the wipers. While I was at it I also swapped out the non-return valve for a straight connector in the windscreen washer pipe. This has improved the flow noticeably. A lot less expensive that a billet aluminium product Cool
Post #969869 3rd Nov 2022 7:53pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
An alternative and possibly reversible way to achieve this is to bend the contact blade on the relay flat across the base and up the side. The relay will still fit in the receptacle and between its neighbours and the blade may withstand straightening if you want to reverse the mod.

It is handy to be able to drench the screen before wiping and since squirt and wipe are on the same stalk it isn't onerous to wipe manually.
Post #970020 5th Nov 2022 12:50pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
I wonder if you smear a bit of super glue on both sides of the relay spade, if its enough to isolate it, and can still be scraped off if want to reverse the modification. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #970051 5th Nov 2022 5:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 8 <12345678>