↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > V8 > 3UZ-FE conversion
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
What’s the insurance and V5 process like when doing this sort of thing gents?
Post #956350 23rd Jun 2022 5:09pm
Timbo

England 2008 Defender 110 V8 Petrol USW Tonga Green
Co1 wrote:
Nice work, you must be chuffed. Don’t worry about the fuel, prices will come down again I’m sure… Whistle

Thanks Co1 Razz I'm not gonna hold my breath on fuel prices though Big Cry
Post #956487 24th Jun 2022 8:47pm
Timbo

LJMARSDEN wrote:
Timbo wrote:
It passed! Thumbs Up Scraped by on the emissions but everything else no problem Laughing I can't get along with LS430 pedal so I've ordered the is350 one from phoenix £105 to fill up Big Cry I've used over 1/4 of a tank already Whistle I'm smiling every where I go now

Bloody marvellous Tim, well done mate Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Thanks Luke! It's a bloody joy to drive the sound is awesome Thumbs Up Very Happy
Post #956488 24th Jun 2022 8:49pm
Timbo

Co1 wrote:
What’s the insurance and V5 process like when doing this sort of thing gents?

Co1 in my circumstances it's a bit of a long story. I bought the donor car and removed engine. I sent the V5 back to DVLA to tell them about changes and got a letter back saying I needed to prove my ownership of engine with
A. A receipt from garage I bought engine off or
B. A letter from Toyota stating that it was their engine Shocked or
C. An inspection for insurance purposes from a MOT type garage

I sent an email explaining that I'd bought the car privately and registered it in my name and sold it complete minus the engine and gearbox with the buyers name and address. This it seems was proof enough as they returned my log book with engine change but still had it down as a diesel.
I pointed out the error and got a new V5 with the engine change, still as diesel but now only having 1 seat instead of 5!
I pointed this further error and am now awaiting the next V5 to see what they've screwed up this time Rolling with laughter

The insurance was a bit of a mine field as I use vehicle for work as well as SDP but Adrian flux sorted it. Nobody else wanted to quote Shocked

Are you thinking of a similar conversion?
Post #956495 24th Jun 2022 9:03pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
I am. I was thinking of going the more “standard” LS3 route, but your thread is causing me decision fatigue!!
Post #956508 25th Jun 2022 6:20am
Defendermatt

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 Other SW Bonatti Grey
The log book side of things is pretty easy other than having to deal with dvla.

I too had to submit my changes twice as first time they only changed the capacity (fuel change was stated also) , then resubmit for a change to petrol.

All ok in the end. Just some patience and back-and-forth required Rolling Eyes 1989 90 4.3 V8
2012 L405 OF
2014 D4 HSE Lux (SOLD)
2015 90 HT (SOLD)
@d9o.mf
Post #956513 25th Jun 2022 7:20am
Timbo

Co1 wrote:
I am. I was thinking of going the more “standard” LS3 route, but your thread is causing me decision fatigue!!

My first choice was an LS3 but they priced me out of the market Laughing My neighbour told me about the viability of the UZ-1fe/UZ-3fe as a cheaper alternative. Donor cars can be picked up fairly cheaply and have lots of useable parts. The engine is really free revving and, although more technical, is very reliable to very high mileages 500,000 being a number bandied about. Smile I have to say mine isn't as torquey as I'd expected but throttle response is instant and power is head and shoulders above the remapped puma engine I removed. If you want to boost the original engine I hear the LS400 UZ1 responds better than the LS430 UZ3 I have. Something to do with the thinner walls between cylinders. But overall I have to say I do not regret my engine choice. I think the transfer box needs to be a bit higher geared as I'm changing gears faster than Sterling Moss ( Kids ask your parents Laughing ) If, like me, you want more grunt and a lovely sound then go for it. I don't have a lot of mechanical experience but common sense and a little help from people who know better goes a long way. Good luck Co1 with whatever you decide to do and feel free to ask me any questions. (or better still DefenderMatt) Rolling with laughter
Post #956569 25th Jun 2022 8:54pm
Timbo

Click image to enlarge

Ls430 pedal binned and this is the i200/300 lexus pedal. I had to bend the metal a bit (lot) to get it to fit and not bottom out on the floor. It's a lot more user friendly thanks to Chris at Phoenix engine management for the speedy service. I recommend his expertise highly if you want to do this conversion whether using a Lexus ECU or stand alone he's your man Very Happy Thumbs Up
Post #956605 26th Jun 2022 8:14pm
Timbo

For anyone who is interested I spoke via email to Dave Ashcroft (Ashcroft transmissions who rebuilt my LT230 transfer box a while back) and inquired about a 1.100 transfer gear (mine is a 1.211 and a bit low geared) And the new gear arrives tomorrow! I have the BMW M57 gearbox and although it pulls really well through all the gears I feel it needs to be a bit better spaced out. I'll let you know if this was the right choice, the other option being the 1.003. Fingers crossed I made the right choice as I'm running out of money Laughing £2 a litre doesn't go far in a V8 Whistle Having said that the fuel filter (fitted by someone else) was leaking Confused I expected to be sorting out allsorts of stuff once it was mobile but I'm really pleased to say it has been an absolute joy to drive with only minimal tweaks needed to get it to my dream vehicle. A V8 beast! Thumbs Up
Post #957021 1st Jul 2022 8:52pm
LJMARSDEN

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
Brilliant stuff Tim Thumbs Up

Will you be coming to the Peterborough show this year?

I plan on getting mine on the road before then and so we obviously need to do a sound check on them both Rolling with laughter Luke Marsden

06 V8 1UZFE Defender 90

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/defender__v8/
Post #957080 2nd Jul 2022 1:46pm
Timbo

Hey Luke, I haven't been before so maybe I should this time Very Happy It would be great to see the old girls together (mine being the younger and spritelier of the two Laughing ) I have had a lot of expense this year what with daughter getting married and converting a Land Rover to a V8 Laughing so I may not be able to make it. Work is through the roof and customers are chasing me left right and centre ( shouldn't complain) so time will be an issue too, but would love to be there. Lets see how it all pans out. Cheers buddy Thumbs Up
Post #957196 3rd Jul 2022 8:52pm
Timbo

Forgot to say finally got log book back from DVLA correctly updated Razz
Post #957199 3rd Jul 2022 9:03pm
LJMARSDEN

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
Timbo wrote:
Hey Luke, I haven't been before so maybe I should this time Very Happy It would be great to see the old girls together (mine being the younger and spritelier of the two Laughing ) I have had a lot of expense this year what with daughter getting married and converting a Land Rover to a V8 Laughing so I may not be able to make it. Work is through the roof and customers are chasing me left right and centre ( shouldn't complain) so time will be an issue too, but would love to be there. Lets see how it all pans out. Cheers buddy Thumbs Up

No issue if not, can always work out another time Thumbs Up

I've just realised how much I've got to do and what little time I have before the show anyway...

I'm preying I don't encounter any full stops in what I have left to do... Bow down

I spent aprox' 2-3 Minutes writing a list of "things to do" and it covered an A4 sheet within that time Rolling with laughter Luke Marsden

06 V8 1UZFE Defender 90

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/defender__v8/
Post #957316 4th Jul 2022 9:54pm
Timbo

I warned you not to look too far ahead Rolling with laughter If you and I don't make it to peterborough we will definitly hook up at some point mate and swap horror stories Thumbs Up Rolling with laughter
Post #957800 9th Jul 2022 8:35pm
Timbo

Click image to enlarge

Transfer gears for 1.100 ready to fit. These were delivered a while back, in that time I watched a few youtube videos and realised I didn't have enough tools to do the job (or know how, or confidence, or shims) Rolling with laughter I now have shims a DTI and still no confidence but having come this far I'm going to give it a shot myself. Thumbs Up Citroen 2CV. (Written off)
66 Ford Mustang (Sold)
Land Rover Defender 110 Hard top 300 tdi (Sold and subsequently written off)
And a few BMW's before seeing the light
Post #963019 26th Aug 2022 8:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 8 of 9 <123456789>