↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > V8 > 3UZ-FE conversion
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
LJMARSDEN

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
Timbo wrote:
Also he cranked it up with just the manifolds fitted and it's very, very loud Shocked A straight through pipe is out of the question Rolling with laughter

I’m gonna win the loudness test… Rolling with laughter

Any videos of first start Tim? Luke Marsden

06 V8 1UZFE Defender 90

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/defender__v8/
Post #949915 20th Apr 2022 10:38am
Timbo

England 2008 Defender 110 V8 Petrol USW Tonga Green
Hey Luke, I was rushing to get it back together so it could be trailered to the place where the guy is going to wire it up and make exhaust before I went on a weeks holiday. He cranked it up while I was away and it wasn't running very well (over fuelling) and wouldn't tickover. In the short space of time he had it running it filled his workshop with smoke. Thats now sorted but when I went over after getting back of holiday it was still running rough. He started it very briefly so I could hear it but I didn't get a video. I wanted the glory of being the first one to fire it up but sadly it wasn't possible. I'll make a video next time I go to see it. Thumbs Up I'm also on the lookout for a radiator. As Linds suggested a 19J radiator I took a look but I think they were quite expensive (from memory) I need a measurement between wings as it's possible the Lexus one will fit but again I don't have vehicle at the moment. The bearmach V8 radiator must fit between wings but the alluminium one is unavailable at the moment. Rolling Eyes Hoping to get it back soon as there's going to be more problems to iron out. Details to follow Thumbs Up
Post #950183 22nd Apr 2022 9:46pm
Dtes

1984 Defender 90 Td5 HT Firenze Red
Timbo wrote:
GREENI wrote:
You’ll find it won’t cool it well enough, use a v8 rad.

Do you have a part number for the v8 rad Greeni? My guy wiring it up said the tdci rad which is the same as the td5 rad is not big enough Big Cry I too have fitted a revotec fan.

We use ESR203 radiators
Post #951206 1st May 2022 12:43pm
Timbo

Thank you Dtes Very Happy Are you D T engine solutions? I have messaged you previously regarding my conversion and found you to be helpful. Thumbs Up I was also looking at ESR76 as it's about £100 cheaper is this an acceptable alternative? I was thinking it should be an aluminium rad as the block is ali. Would copper be ok? This is a keeper so longevity is important Very Happy
Post #951276 1st May 2022 10:08pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Timbo wrote:
I'm also on the lookout for a radiator. As Linds suggested a 19J radiator I took a look but I think they were quite expensive (from memory)

I just dry fitted my 19J radiator, that thing is massive, I really had forgotten how large it was. Very sure it can handle the heat from a V8.
Do you need the oil cooler to be integral with the radiator? If not, you can also consider the 12J (2.5 normally aspirated) radiator. I believe they are physically same size, just less the oil cooler, less the money. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #951285 2nd May 2022 6:31am
Dtes

Timbo wrote:
Thank you Dtes Very Happy Are you D T engine solutions? I have messaged you previously regarding my conversion and found you to be helpful. Thumbs Up I was also looking at ESR76 as it's about £100 cheaper is this an acceptable alternative? I was thinking it should be an aluminium rad as the block is ali. Would copper be ok? This is a keeper so longevity is important Very Happy

I cannot confirm, nor deny that i’m Dan…

The esr203 work perfect even with an LS & aircon in the south of france, had trouble with alloy/plastic tank rads very early days so went over to properly built
Cooling packs with 2x 12” 1300cfm Spal fans which work well.

It’s the age old story…. You get what you pay for.
Post #951310 2nd May 2022 11:07am
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
Dinnu wrote:
Timbo wrote:
I'm also on the lookout for a radiator. As Linds suggested a 19J radiator I took a look but I think they were quite expensive (from memory)

I just dry fitted my 19J radiator, that thing is massive, I really had forgotten how large it was. Very sure it can handle the heat from a V8.
Do you need the oil cooler to be integral with the radiator? If not, you can also consider the 12J (2.5 normally aspirated) radiator. I believe they are physically same size, just less the oil cooler, less the money.
Naturaly Aspirated rad as a thinner core unless heavy duty spec MOD etc
Post #951428 3rd May 2022 9:46am
Timbo

Thank you to Dinnu, Linds and Da....er mums the word Laughing I capitulated and bought the ESR203. I'm just waiting for the exhaust guy to make mine as loud as can be acceptable and then sort all the other gremlins Thumbs Up
Post #951899 7th May 2022 9:41pm
Timbo

Click image to enlarge

Off to get wired in and exhaust made

Click image to enlarge

Bigger radiator fitted and plumbed in. It sounds absolutely fabulous but the gearbox is a duff Big Cry so it all has to come apart again to get that fixed. Oh well these things happen Rolling Eyes
Post #954448 2nd Jun 2022 9:25pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
It’ll all be worth it Thumbs Up
Post #954451 2nd Jun 2022 10:11pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Can we get some audio of it running?!
Post #954457 3rd Jun 2022 6:44am
Timbo

GREENI wrote:
It’ll all be worth it Thumbs Up

I know Greeni Laughing My ears were treated to the beautiful V8 rumble but the grinding from the gearbox spoilt things a tad Rolling Eyes
Post #954513 3rd Jun 2022 9:04pm
Timbo

Co1 wrote:
Can we get some audio of it running?!

I'll sort something Co1 I had to take exhaust, props, transfer box etc off to whip out gearbox as soon as it's up and running again I'll definitely get a video on here. It sounds awesome and the smiles per mile will outweigh current fuel costs Rolling with laughter
Post #954514 3rd Jun 2022 9:07pm
Timbo

Well it's good and bad news. The gearbox isn't broke but the output shaft had slid forward and was engaging with synchromesh. When the BMW 3 bolt flange was put back on and bolt tightened up neutral was able to be selected as it pulled the output shaft back into place. The problem I mow have is how to make this adaptor work. I have one the same as this
https://www.onlinegearboxparts.com/product...apter-kit/

Synchro say to do this

and this

I've done this exactly as pictured but the gearbox guy said that without the flange being bolted on the main shaft can move freely which is what it did. I stumped. I have, I believe 2 options. First is drill out converter shaft and BMW output shaft cut a thread into output shaft and bolt it right through with a sunk in allen type bolt. This I am told would be very difficult as it's hardened steel. Or 2 put BMW flange on and make it 2 wheel drive. Not my prefered option but I'm looking for ideas if anybody else has had this problem with the synchrogearbox adaptor plate. I'm all ears Neutral
Post #954753 6th Jun 2022 9:46pm
Dtes

By all means drop it in and i’m sure i can sort it out for you.

You usually find that things like that are only case hardened
Post #954879 7th Jun 2022 9:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 9 <123456789>