↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Turns over but wont fire up
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Doodlefish

Turns over but wont fire up
So, I take 75mile trip in my 2.2tdci successfully and am very low on diesel on arrival. On my return journey I go 2 miles to a BP garage and fill up (BP Ultimate Diesel). I begin my return 75 mile trip and after 2 miles the car engine management lights up and I drop into limp mode for the remaining journey. I park up and next day the car turns over great but it will not fire up. Its always been a reliable starter, firing up within a a couple of turns. My OMDII read a P0101 code, so I changed the air filter, the MAF sensor, the MAF sensor connector and the main vent pipe from the MAF for a silicone one in case it was damaged. The EGR was changed a couple of weeks back.
The P0101 code has gone but was replaced with P0113 (current fault), P0193 (current) & P0251 (pending). After checking battery and fuel rail for fuel etc it seems we do not have fuel entering the fuel rail. I have pulled out the rail sensor but all reads 0 under crank. So no fuel there. Havent checked the VCV valve or the high pressure pump yet but looking at the immobiliser as the problem first. The OBDII currently shows P0251 (current fault), P0113 (pending) & P0251 (pending). I was looking to bypass the immobiliser using the EKA code (key/door method) to discount that but havent got round to it yet.

Does anyone have any ideas on this before I end up replacing....everything!
Post #931107 25th Nov 2021 1:48pm
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Check all fuses under the dash and under the drivers seat for anything ECU or immobiliser related

Recently had a Mass air flow fault that was caused by this > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #931112 25th Nov 2021 2:11pm
Doodlefish

Thanks Hank. I am working through them one by one. My fuse layout is different to yours btw.
Post #931113 25th Nov 2021 2:20pm
hank

Report back with how it goes and if you need more help I'm sure others will chip in > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #931128 25th Nov 2021 4:01pm
Doodlefish

Update
It finally fired up last night after finding a rogue fuse. Thanks for advice on checking those. It was a fuse for the MAF sensor 5amp which had blown. Starts up each time fine but yellow EML coming on with a code P0113 air temperature circuit high input. All things seem fine so I am starting to think I may have to teach my Landrover the new reality of the air flow following all my air flow changes. Is this even a thing?

Any other ideas?
Post #931273 26th Nov 2021 3:25pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
People often forget about the Air Charge Sensor” part number LR032216 on a 2.2 puma as I’m sure the 2.4 does not have one

That’s what LR call it but in reality I think it’s an Air Charge Temperature Sensor.

Listed as part 8 on this diagram

https://www.lrworkshop.com/diagrams/land-r...es_2.2tdci

Perhaps checking that’s connected, clean and working is worth while
Post #931276 26th Nov 2021 4:09pm
Doodlefish

yep...connected (re-soldered to new connector), clean (new in fact) and clearly not working(? although do have 2 working MAF's to try and both seem fine). Its a 4 wire system and have checked wire 2 which should be the air temp element of the MAF.
Tomorrow looking to see if a clever piece of software can kid the ECU the air flow/temp is perfect! Will update but always looking for new ideas.
Post #931281 26th Nov 2021 4:42pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
I may have misunderstood your post above... but I’m not referring to the MAF, I’m referring to the separate sensor between the exit of the intercooler and the inlet manifold.

On a 2.2 that sensor measures the temperature of the air going into the inlet manifold just before it gets there. So it’s the best point to measure the temp of the air after it’s passed the MAF, been heated by the turbo and cooled by the intercooler, all of which is constantly variable based on how hot the turbo is and how much cooling the intercooler is providing at any point of time. If there is a problem with that sensor or it’s wiring it could be causing the DTC to trigger.

Last edited by Ianh on 26th Nov 2021 8:51pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #931291 26th Nov 2021 5:32pm
hank

Post #931307 26th Nov 2021 6:47pm
Doodlefish

Update....checked current in cabling to air charge sensor and all good. Ordered new one and see how that goes.
Post #931503 27th Nov 2021 11:46pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Have you resolved the issue?
Post #932360 3rd Dec 2021 10:47pm
Doodlefish

Not yet....air charge sensor arrived tonite and going in tomorrow morning. I'll then check for any new fault codes. I will be updating with results. I'm really hoping i remove a damaged sensor because I'm running out of parts to change. Triggers broom 🤣
Post #932364 3rd Dec 2021 11:09pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
I’ve read on Transit forums that a faulty air charge sensor can cause a DTC and check engine light to come up, hence highlighting it as a possible cause, plus it’s not expensive to replace. So hope it resolves the issue .

If not check your intercooler [url]
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic61806...nsor[/url]

Also worth checking if the plug to the EGR is connected properly given you had the egr replaced recently and according to a post in the link I provided the EGR can cause maf related faults to show.
Post #932368 4th Dec 2021 1:15am
Doodlefish

So... new air charge sensor fitted and all OMDII faults cleared off. Test drive resulted in EML lighting and limp mode after 1 mile gentle driving. I note that the faults P0101 (Current Fault) & P0113 (Pending Fault) only start under power. No sign of fault codes or EML during roadside tick over. Although currently testing that theory.
Everything seems connected properly and can find no sign of damage to cabling or pipework. Its quite a puzzle now.
It may be I have to test/replace the intercooler

I appreciate all those who've offered advice so far. Keep thinking as it is all helpful.
Post #932396 4th Dec 2021 11:04am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Have you had a look at and cleaned your MAP sensor, that can get gummed up as well.
Post #932412 4th Dec 2021 2:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>