↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Turns over but wont fire up
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Doodlefish

Update
Checked all the pipes, connection's etc. All seems good. Cleared codes and went for test drive for about 20mins. Kept it simple without pushing it and returned home without EML indicated. Went to use again a few hours later and EML back. The code is P0113.
Post #936140 3rd Jan 2022 6:39pm
Doodlefish

P0113
I have noticed other threads with a solution simply reading "...solved due to loose connector to the LH side of gearbox.."
Can anyone shed any light?
Post #936233 4th Jan 2022 8:09am
dorsetsmith

see your p0113 post
Post #936310 4th Jan 2022 5:02pm
Doc P

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Similar symptoms to mine (which turned out to be the crankshaft position sensor) but I think that will throw up different error codes?

I had a fuel pump (and turbo actuator) replaced just prior to that due to intermittent failure to start too. Replacing the sensor's cured it for now but it felt very 'fuel-related' until that was found.

Hope you find it.
Post #936322 4th Jan 2022 6:14pm
Doodlefish

Thanks Doc P, I will look into that. Not the first time I have read up on the crankshaft sensor as an issue and it is now one of the few things not changed.
Post #936400 5th Jan 2022 9:52am
wee-man

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Galway Green
Doc P wrote:
Similar symptoms to mine (which turned out to be the crankshaft position sensor) but I think that will throw up different error codes?

I had a fuel pump (and turbo actuator) replaced just prior to that due to intermittent failure to start too. Replacing the sensor's cured it for now but it felt very 'fuel-related' until that was found.

Hope you find it.

Identical to mine and started to happen immediately after a clutch replacement, replaced crankshaft sensor (correct procedure followed) and has been without issue ever since.
Post #936427 5th Jan 2022 1:18pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
^^^^^^^^^
If the crankshaft position sensor was faulty I would have expected a P1336 DTC.

Ps wee-man . Is there a special procedure for fitting the sensor, it looks like it’s a rivet removal to get the small heat shield off, electrical connector removal, one bolt removal, then pull the sensor out, push new sensor in , bolt in and torqued, connector on, re rivet small heat shield.
Post #936428 5th Jan 2022 1:34pm
Doodlefish

I am not convinced the crankshaft sensor would effect the Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor Circuit High Input fault the P0113 code suggests.
As I have replaced the MAF sensor and the MAF connector it seems it can only be the Wiring Harness surely. If all else fails I will change the crankshaft sensor but would prefer to target the fault via the fault code for the time being.
Post #936429 5th Jan 2022 1:36pm
wee-man

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Galway Green
Ianh wrote:
^^^^^^^^^
If the crankshaft position sensor was faulty I would have expected a P1336 DTC.

Ps wee-man . Is there a special procedure for fitting the sensor, it looks like it’s a rivet removal to get the small heat shield off, electrical connector removal, one bolt removal, then pull the sensor out, push new sensor in , bolt in and torqued, connector on, re rivet small heat shield.

I know not why but there were no fault codes when mine started to fail much to my annoyance. I am "blessed" with not having the heatshield fitted, the last owner removed it and left it off. The procedure, from memory, involved turning the crank until one of the raised peaks was in the opening then fitting the nose of the sensor against it and therefore setting the height correctly before clamping up tight.

The whole experience was a real headscratcher but made sense in the end, it felt like a fuel issue relating to a relay, immobiliser or even the ignition switch. I replaced the crankshaft sensor in desperation and low and behold the fault has gone.
Post #936446 5th Jan 2022 3:05pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Thanks wee-man, I had a look at the ford workshop manual, and as you state you must ensure a flywheel tooth is visible in the centre of the aperture so when you fit the sensor it’s tip is resting on the tooth. If not visible then rotate crankshaft CLOCKWISE until a tooth is in correct position. Tighten bolt to 7nm. Fit shield, job done . Smile
Post #936472 5th Jan 2022 6:01pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The CPS heat shield has a tendency to commit suicide all by itself and just disappear off the vehicle. Mine was missing when I bought my Defender and is still missing 12 years and quarter of a million miles later.

Its absence doesn't seem to cause any particular problem, although it might be more significant on a 2.2 with a DPF.
Post #936477 5th Jan 2022 6:32pm
Doc P

Oh the irony.........it won't start today.
Post #936711 7th Jan 2022 3:13pm
Doc P

Not starting and I’m at my wits end with it now. No warning lights on the dash this time. New fuel pump and crankshaft position sensor. Starter motor sounds good. Battery fully charged. New key fob battery etc.etc.

But no ignition. I don’t have a code reader and I’ve run out of knowledge.

Any easy checks? I was thinking of electrical issues again. Likely fuses or relays to check? Is it likely to be an earthing issue? Is it something worse, like lack of compression that’s the problem? She was starting and running very well until yesterday. I don’t know where to turn to this time.

Thanks folks.
Post #936780 8th Jan 2022 8:10am
Doodlefish

Success after new part was faulty
Firstly, thanks to all that fired in ideas. I definitely picked up some new things even if they weren't all part of my issues.

Anyway, after changing the obvious split intercooler and with faults still showing I started again on the tests. My original MAF Sensor had a P0101 fault (air mass) and the new MAF sensor had a fault P0113 (air temp). I didnt realise my new MAF was faulty so assumed wiring. I have now purchased another MAF sensor and we are all good. Lesson is, dont assume a new part is fit to go. I had used an OEM part so never occured to me it was this that had a fault.

Lesson learnt
Post #940481 1st Feb 2022 10:47am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123