↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Turns over but wont fire up
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Doodlefish

MAP sensor reading seems fine.
I have noticed an alarming problem which may be the reason for all my issues.

https://www.defender2.net/gallery/albums/u...WA0006.jpg

This image appears to show a curve in the left side edge of the intercooler. If this isn't usual, I may have a seam that has split. Any ideas?
Post #932623 6th Dec 2021 3:19pm
dorsetsmith

Click image to enlarge

Id say so this is aluminium crimped end of the inter cooler core that has failed in big way

LR017950
Intercooler-turbocharger air
Post #932628 6th Dec 2021 4:22pm
wee-man

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Galway Green
Not sure if it's of any use but my 2.4 developed starting issues very similar to yours, turning but not firing. Mine was failing to restart until such time as it had had a chance to listen to me swearing at it, wiggling wires and relays and on one occasion an old lady strolled over and asked if she could help then it burst into life.

After a few red herrings I changed the crankshaft sensor and it's back to its old self now, I got hold of a Ford one at a reasonable price to see if it was the problem and it worked. The fault was always repeatable and has gone away now. There is a procedure for replacement, it doesn't take more than a few minutes to change and in my case was worth it.
Post #932640 6th Dec 2021 5:27pm
Doodlefish

Have you got the number of the old lady? she can have a quick look and fix mine if she's local. Wink

The fault codes dont seem to be related to the crankshaft sensor and i have replaced all the others. I'll bear it in mind but first I think a big bend in my intercooler looks favourite now.

Anyone have an idea the best replacement? May be opportunity for an upgrade perhaps?

Thanks for the advice.
Post #932671 6th Dec 2021 10:14pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
If it is the intercooler, and you want an upgrade, have a look at the bell auto services one. https://bellautoservices.co.uk/store/b-a-s...tercooler/
Post #932673 6th Dec 2021 10:20pm
Doodlefish

I am tempted, but with the current aggravation and the possible requirement to need re-mapping I am nervous about doing anything but replacing with standard. One of the issue coming up on the diagnostic is the EMC insisting the outside temperature is -40C deg. Very Odd. Maybe thats the default when the intercooler is split...
Post #932674 6th Dec 2021 10:25pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
There is no need to have anything remapped to fit an uprated intercooler. You might not be maximising its potential but it will work in exactly the same way as a standard one. I've had one fitted for more than two years whilst running the standard mapping. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #932676 6th Dec 2021 10:34pm
wee-man

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Galway Green
Doodlefish wrote:
Have you got the number of the old lady? she can have a quick look and fix mine if she's local. Wink

The fault codes dont seem to be related to the crankshaft sensor and i have replaced all the others. I'll bear it in mind but first I think a big bend in my intercooler looks favourite now.

Anyone have an idea the best replacement? May be opportunity for an upgrade perhaps?

Thanks for the advice.

I was too embarrassed to exchange details. Failure #2 was on a garage forecourt, just as the police motorcycle training course popped in to fill up. They offered a push - I have their number if you need it ?

Mine showed no fault codes. No idea why but thankfully it was the fix for mine.

Good luck !
Post #932682 6th Dec 2021 11:13pm
Doodlefish

This is the seam of the intercooler. Must be the root of my problems. New one in now but some final bits to sort before test.

Click image to enlarge
Post #933129 10th Dec 2021 9:26pm
dorsetsmith

Whistle
Post #933132 10th Dec 2021 9:47pm
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Looks like you’ve found it but yes split intercoolers are common to see on the 2.2. Tend to split in the bottom though. Make sure your mounts are in good condition and lined up right.
Post #933930 16th Dec 2021 11:55pm
Doodlefish

Update
So...new intercooler in and drove great for about 20 minutes before the dreaded yellow EML of Terror blinked to life. Limp mode back to the drawing board.
I am hopeful that this is a moment when someone joins this conversation to tell me that I have to let the EMC "re-learn" the new setup.
Quick synopsis - New air filter, new silicon pipework, new MAF sensor & connector, new air charge sensor and new intercooler. What the hell does triggers broom need now?
Although for those who have followed this thread in detail, the -40 deg outside temp is now showing air temps of 16 deg which is about right.

Any (more) ideas?
Post #933993 17th Dec 2021 1:39pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Which fault codes are coming up now? . Have any of the hoses come a little loose now you have changed the intercooler and gone for a 20 min drive ? When you changed to silicon hoses were all replaced or are some original?
Post #934027 17th Dec 2021 6:47pm
dorsetsmith

with all the DTC to stat with P0250 fuel metering - P0101 MAF intake temp high voltage - p0193 fuel rail presser sensor. Exclamation

have your check that your engines wiring loom hasten been damage in some way as looking up work shop Manuel for these DTC posable cores - open CCT wiring or shorted to power wiring for high voltage intake temp cace in point

and witch DTC are showing now post inter cooler repayment Question
Post #934048 17th Dec 2021 9:22pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Are the wires entering the MAF sensor all good and not damaged?

As above, I would look into that and possible fuel rail pressure sensor replacement.
Suppose the VCV is relatively new?

Is there any leaks around the injectors at all? Nothing loose in the vicinity? Are the VCV and fixings secure, inc ‘O’ ring?

The fuel pump, could be a possibility that it’s not producing the high pressure side.
Though I only know there is a low and high pressure side to the fuel pump, my knowledge beyond that is out of my scope of knowledge.
The fuel system on the Puma is fairly complicated and technical. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #934061 17th Dec 2021 10:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>