↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > A day in the life of Miffy the 110...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 23 of 59 <123 ... 222324 ... 575859>
Print this entire topic · 
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Go Miffy Smile

MOT Check... Just the one advisory on the front to back brake pipe looking past its best. It's original to the vehicle so has done exceptionally well for a steel pipe.

New ones are expensive... Looks like some DIY brake flaring is order Smile Love making brake lines.

Also a little nudge on rear brake calliper piston corrosion which I knew would crop up eventually, stainless steel pistons this time I think Smile

Apart from that the tester said Miffy was a delight to test (his words) and it was obvious she was a well looked after Defender and especially at 223k miles and 18 years old. Really nice of the bloke to say so Smile

It was also great to hear that after her Alive remap and new head her emissions are now well within requirements, unlike twelve months ago. I have no idea how she passed last year... I wouldn't have passed her anyway.

And breathe.... Smile

MOT stations where freedom is granted to those that are worthy Smile

Click image to enlarge

And one of Miffy in her natural habitat...

Click image to enlarge
Post #931094 25th Nov 2021 11:42am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
donmacn wrote:
Hard to argue with that!

Mine passed its MOT exactly a week ago, and no matter how well prepped you are there's always a level of worry.

I also reflected that this is its 24th MOT! Not so many cars will get that far - I don't mean "Defenders" obviously, but rank and file Euro boxes.

Good luck to Miffy!

Amazing. Long live the Defenders of the World. Thanks for the luck, turns out ol Miffy is in fine fettle, not quite 24 years old, but she'll be there soon enough Rolling Eyes

I wonder how many 2003 fords, vauxhalls, rovers, renault, etc are still driving around Rolling Eyes Mr. Green
Post #931096 25th Nov 2021 11:45am
L110CDL

England 
Good news that she passed her mot and the answer would be not very many Fords, Vauxhalls etc Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #931347 26th Nov 2021 9:37pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Too true Clay Mr. Green Long live the Green Oval Thumbs Up
Post #931352 26th Nov 2021 9:54pm
L110CDL

England 
Thumbs Up Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #931357 26th Nov 2021 10:11pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Around the World
Bit of a pondering this morning over a coffee... Miffy has now done a smidge over 9 times around the equator Surprised

Good ol' Miffy Thumbs Up Keeping the World turning... Laughing
Post #931405 27th Nov 2021 11:03am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
So as Miffy has just passed her MOT, but it was strongly suggested that the main front to rear brake pipe needed replacing I thought OK... As I do not have any brake making gear anymore I may as well by a kit and replace the whole lot. Job done for another 20 years or so Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Ah not so easy, I have been having a good conversation with Dan at Automec brake lines and well what do you know it is not as simple as all TD5 non-ABS 110s are built the same... Who knew...

For instance I was under the impression that 110s and 130s did not have a front rear brake biassing valve fitted, only being fitted to the shorter wheel base 90. Not the case... Miffy has one and it is factory original. Rolling Eyes

Time to roll about on the ground... muddy... Yuk... Neutral

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Well hello brake biassing valve... Rolling Eyes

It looks to be ANR1415

Could this be the culprit to the less than efficient rear brakes on Miffy?

Or is it the brake master cylinder or the servo?!

Calipers are A-OK, system recently bled, excellent discs and pads.

I wonder if the brake bias valve is serviceable?!
Post #932056 1st Dec 2021 4:03pm
donmacn

Now, that is interesting!

I was of a similar view to yourself - that 110's and 130's didn't have this valve. Then when I was getting the brakes re-done, I was advised that they should have. No worries. I had a valve fitted, and I have no issues with my brakes at all. But I still had a similar nagging doubt to yourself about whether or not it should/should not be there, and whether there might be a benefit in removing it.

I went with Pioneer hoses, rather than Automec, but I imagine they are much the same. I had Joe at Pioneer make up a set of hoses to fit the rear of the RR P38 and while I was doing that, I spoke to him about the decision to remove the bias valve.

His view was that some 110s had them, some didn't, but on balance (no pun intended!) as it wasn't causing any issues he'd leave it in place if it was his car.

Obviously I can't say whether yours is working or not, but I can say that I don't think I've noticed a big difference one way or t'other having one on mine after 18/19 years of not having it.

Not sure any of this is useful to you, but hey ho!

(A wee edit - If the servo was on the way out, I imagine you'd feel that more as a poor braking overall, not just on the rear.) Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #932059 1st Dec 2021 4:11pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Interesting read Don. I am wondering if 110 CSWs had the valve but all other variants didn't. May explain its presence. Rolling Eyes

Yes i think you are right about the servo, it is holding vacuum A-OK and overnight. But as for the brake MC it is possible that the first stage of the braking action (acts on the rear brakes) is faulty due to a seal allowing fluid to bypass but still working on the front side of the system A-OK. It's a possibility anyway.

Did not know of Pioneer. Will have a look at them too Thumbs Up
Post #932062 1st Dec 2021 4:26pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
My older 90 have the PRV, or Pressure Reducing Valve NRC8215. This would be an older model of PRV than what you have. The idea is to lessen the possibility of having the rear wheels locking under heavy braking, which would turn the vehicle if that is to happen. My 90 had the habit to do that actually.
The problem with the 90s design (and 110/130s if fitted) is that there is no feedback to the system on the load on the rear axle. I had once difficulty bleeding the rear brakes after slave cylinder renewal (drum brakes), and I believe that the culprit was the PRV. I plan to open my PRV to check how it works (I beleive there is a ball bearing to reduce the pressure on rear braked when brakes are slammed) and hopefully service it because NRC8215 are hard to come by. I think the newer models are not serviceable.

Ironically my much cheaper old VW Polo that was put to rest had a PRV that was linked to the rear axle, and so could proportion the braking effect depending on the load on the rear axle. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #932068 1st Dec 2021 4:46pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
I can imagine the thought process was at LR was... Huh... 9 people in a Defender, best not allow the rear brakes to lock up and overtake the front... Rolling Eyes

Well there are no kits to rebuild this valve, not surprised, but they are only springs and o-rings inside. So if one of the o-rings has gotten flat as many others in LR use do then it might be a culprit.

Or it could be the 18 year old brake master cylinder... Rolling Eyes
Post #932077 1st Dec 2021 5:24pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Refurb of DRL light surrounds and new LED DRLS
So a number of years ago I bought a set of these DRLs with surrounds off GRP (http://www.grp4x4.com/?product=land-rover-...-kit-black and they are a super bit of kit. Well designed and made for the Defender standard or HD winch bumpers.

But after four years or so the LED lights have failed and the anodising has faded so it is time for replacements and a refurb of the fixing kit.

The LED lights are 70mm units and whilst there are some nice dual DRL fog lamps in 70mm available, they are in Europe and the company wouldn't post to the UK due to Brexit regulations. Rolling Eyes Pity. So I have been on the lookout for other 70mm LED lamps and whilst there are plenty of cheap plastic lights on eBay I wanted something that would last. Then a pair of Ring Apollo lights came up and they'd be perfect for this refurb.

So, off with the old, wash, de-scale, rub down with wet and dry, prime, base and clear coat.... Thank goodness for a Aga during winter for drying between coats Rolling Eyes Whistle Don't tell the wife...

Next is a little touch-up on the bumper and refit Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #933717 15th Dec 2021 6:43pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
I forgot to say the surrounds are now Brunel grey to match the XS light surrounds and grille. Should look pretty good Smile
Post #933737 15th Dec 2021 8:20pm
L110CDL

England 
Can't beat the aga for indoor drying, nice set up Wink 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #934059 17th Dec 2021 9:05pm
kenzle8a

Or ironing, using the hoods to press sheets is rather nice, beats ironing. Nothing beats AGA toast either. My mums one is a near perfect colour match for Belize Greenss as well.

Sad fact both our Landys have colour matched the Agas
Post #934066 17th Dec 2021 9:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 23 of 59 <123 ... 222324 ... 575859>