↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > A day in the life of Miffy the 110...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 22 of 59 <123 ... 212223 ... 575859>
Print this entire topic · 
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Have to say I hate Lanoguard when it has been used on Defenders that come in to me. It is marketed like spraying on a lanolin wax and easy and simple to do but It's largely similar to spraying on glue, can give a rough finish, comes away from the surface leaving bubbles and air pockets behind in time making the rust worse underneath, and is an absolute Censored to get off. Think of covering your chassis with glue! It is largely a petroleum based solvent, nasty stuff to breath in and get on your skin. It doesn,t stop rust of course, just traps it under a damp barrier, you need to treat the rust properly first and be able to retreat easily in the future. As a barrier it maybe good but it is what is happening underneath that is important and the ability to re treat over time... there are no short cuts in treating rust and rust prevention I am afraid.

The link below details the contents of Lanoguard I.e. petroleum/solvent/Lanolin and how carefully you should use it, not to breath in or get it on your skin etc. I spoke at length with the owner of Lanoguard on a number of occasions hoping it would be an effective safe product to use last year but I discounted it especially after seeing what it is like after a time. Nice enough fella but his aim is to market this product for as many uses as possible to pay the bills. It's a solvent based product with a small amount of wax and a sod to deal with in the future that does nothing to address existing rust which all Defenders have from new!

http://www.flints.co.uk/pdffiles/PATLANS%2...NE%20F.pdf
Post #926765 22nd Oct 2021 10:03am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Hi Zagato. Thank you for your input, really interesting.

This comes as a bit of a surprise as it is completely at odds with what is on their website and packaging. I am not saying you're wrong, but it is interesting reading that PDF you attached and the disparity between the two sources.

The Lanoguard website suggests that the product is not petroleum based like its competitors, that it can easily be removed if desired, prevents rust and is ecologically friendlier to the environment than other products.

The only thing I can think is that since 2010 the product ingredients have been modified away from being petroleum based and in order to be more eco friendly.

Quotes from the Lanoguard website:

Quote:
Derived from a Lanolin and Natural products base, Lanoguard has a set of technical properties and features which really set it apart from petroleum based products and its other competition.

Quote:
The primary ingredient of Lanoguard is Lanolin which is a very ecologically safe and sound base.

Quote:

Protects: It prevents rust, verdigris and electrolysis, it provides a highly effective barrier against corrosion and protects against UV too

Waterproofs: Once applied it provides an instant waterproof barrier, which adheres tenaciously, yet it can be easily removed when desired

Lubricates: It is a long lasting lubricant which also releases seized rusted parts and eases mechanisms and over time pushes off rust

Stays: It wont be displaced by salt water in stormy weather, it wont evaporate nor will it be displaced by a jet wash!

Quote:
Being made from a base of lanolin and other natural products means Lanoguard is ecologically friendlier to the environment or ecology of the environment you're using it in.

Quote:
Lanoguard is classified as non-hazardous and it does not harm people, animals or the environment. You don't need to wear protective gear, but most people prefer to use rubber gloves and overalls.

Definitely two different views of the same product, like I said it does make me think that in 2010 this may have been an issue, but has subsequently been addressed by removing the petroleum based components of the product. Of course that is supposition only on my part. They could be making fools of us all by the wording that is used on their website and packaging. It is possible... Rolling Eyes

EDIT: I have just noticed as well that the website that the PDF refers to is no longer active, not even a redirect. Makes you think more that the product may have been altered and the owners have tried to distance themselves from the older version... Perhaps... Rolling Eyes http://www.lanoguard.net
Post #926777 22nd Oct 2021 1:09pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
That is interesting... I was quite excited about the product, I mentioned the review of it on my thread. I spoke at length to the owner a couple of times but he indicated to me that it was far from the healthy option I had hoped for with regard to lung damage with prolonged use. I discounted it due to durability, and the finish of the product. As a "clear" finish, think opaque, Dinitrol Corroheat Heat is still unbeatable, it gives a uniform, smart, finish, ideal for new or mint show cars and it lasts a long time. This is what my clients demand. Lanoguard going by the vehicles that have come in can be a rough, bubbly, yellowy mess that has not adhered in places BUT this maybe the way it has been crudely applied. I have only ever seen It with this finish. There selling point is anyone can just spray it on themselves and it's a woolly, lanolin mix.... it fooled me for a while!!

I think the semantics of stopping rust is the usual perhaps misleading description of many of these products. I.e. It can stop rust happening on brand new, rust free surfaces as it is a barrier against moisture but it won,t of course stop any existing rust and that is of course where the problem lies on a Defenders. From new the chassis was rusting along many of the weld points and seams as the chassis is simply bare metal sprayed with a porous matt black paint with no primer or any protection. They were stacked up outside the factory in the elements prior to construction with rot setting in immediately . Simply covering it in something and trapping in moisture, it could be argued is worse than letting it breath and dry by not doing anything at all. You have to correct the corrosion before you put your protective layer on. You can still do this of course. My gripe is that it is near impossible to get this gluey mess off to leave a nice uniform surface for future top coats and if you leave it on, where areas are sound, the uneven rough covereage just looks a mess, even when covering over with Dinitrol 4941 Underbody top coat. THAT is GOOD stuff, I wouldn,t recommend anything else BUT it's nasty stuff to breath in! Horses for courses and what the owner wants, a farm vehicle in Wales could perhaps benefit from Lanoguard if the rust is corrected prior to use and the owner is unlikely to be worried about the finish! Thumbs Up

If you want a clear product that is nice to apply, Dinitrol Corroheat is the way to go, it's great stuff. I have used it on my own classic car quite a few years ago now and have treated many of the very best cars with it. You can buy it in aerosol form, it goes a long way... just my thoughts, as said I have never used Lanoguard, I just don't like the finish and resulting coat for future work. Its everyone's choice and preference.

This is Dinitrol Corroheat, you can hardly tell it has been done. It's pretty well on everything you see apart from the tyres Shocked It can go on anything, is totally heat resistant as it was designed as an engine detailer, no need for major masking. Gives a great finish and good to go back to in 4-5 years for any future treatments if required. Much tougher than Lanoguard! It is used wholesale on road gritters (I mean the outside body as well Shocked ) and other industrial uses. Marvellous stuff.

Click image to enlarge
Post #926779 22nd Oct 2021 1:55pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Fabio

Portugal 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I am pretty sure I saw Miffy today on th A303.
I waved and got a reply.

Fabio
Post #926808 22nd Oct 2021 7:43pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
I am a waver for sure, never just a finger... I give it the everything Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Post #926950 24th Oct 2021 2:22pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
TD5 Alternator
Well blimey... I think Miffy's alternator is dead or dying... Driving in to town this morning the voltmeter was reading 13 and change volts, no problem. But on the way home it didn't go above 12.6 volts... That is not right, not right at all. Especially considering the headlights, stereo, de-mister and heated seat (I know I know but it was a bit chilly this morning) were all on for most of the journey...

Hmmmm perhaps after 222k miles the alternator has finally given up the ghost...

Test and monitor the situation me thinks... Rolling Eyes
Post #927213 26th Oct 2021 1:10pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
It has been a while since I have been in to a proper hardware shop, not many of them about these days. Popped in to get a couple of stop/tail bulbs...

Click image to enlarge

Lucas bulbs in cardboard boxes Smile The only thing missing was an old dude behind the counter with a brown shop keepers jacket on Smile
Post #930252 18th Nov 2021 4:17pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Does he sell "forrr 'andles". Mr. Green
Post #930277 18th Nov 2021 8:10pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

If only, if only... Laughing Laughing

https://youtu.be/gi_6SaqVQSw
Post #930389 19th Nov 2021 4:34pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Anyone remember collecting the Green Shield stamps..........?
Post #930427 19th Nov 2021 8:19pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Remember my Dad doing so........ Thumbs Up
Post #930434 19th Nov 2021 9:34pm
L110CDL

England 
My mum use to collect those stamps Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #930451 19th Nov 2021 10:37pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Oh good grief... MOT time... Booked in for thursday morning...

Should I wash her or now... Hmmmm! Rolling Eyes

Blinkin' chilly this morning...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

But at least Miffy's glow plugs work as they should. Quick glow and she started first turn of the key Smile 235k miles young Smile Unlike Phoebe who seems to have lost her glow capabilities... Shocked

Dogs loved it though, proper Collie weather this...

Click image to enlarge
Post #930673 22nd Nov 2021 1:27pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
MOT day
Where dreams are made and lost 🤣

Click image to enlarge
Post #931076 25th Nov 2021 8:34am
donmacn

Hard to argue with that!

Mine passed its MOT exactly a week ago, and no matter how well prepped you are there's always a level of worry.

I also reflected that this is its 24th MOT! Not so many cars will get that far - I don't mean "Defenders" obviously, but rank and file Euro boxes.

Good luck to Miffy! Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #931092 25th Nov 2021 11:39am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 22 of 59 <123 ... 212223 ... 575859>